The Student Room Group

I've been caught for speeding...

Hi

I passed my driving test 6 months ago and today I have been caught for speeding for the first time.

I was travelling 39mph in a 30mph speed limit. I have now got 3 points on my license and have also received a £60 fine. I am now waiting for the second part of the letter. Do you think I will be allowed to take a speeding awareness course or am I well over the limit? Any advice will be kindly appreciated. And yes, I am aware I am a dick for breaking the speed limit.

Cheers

Reply 1
The criteria used for assessing eligibility for the speed awareness course
is speed within range of speed limit + 10% + 2mph to speed limit + 10% +
6mph. i.e. in a 30 mph limit 35 - 39 mph

You're lucky.
Reply 2
You probably will be able to do the speed awareness course, if not you will just have to be careful for the next 18 months so you don't get your license taken off you. Normally 3 points doesn't make to much difference to your insurance cost. You can also only do the speed awareness course once every 2 years i think.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Did you get stopped by police or got flashed by camera?
Reply 4
Original post by kas12
Did you get stopped by police or got flashed by camera?

I was flashed by a camera.
Original post by CodeJack
The criteria used for assessing eligibility for the speed awareness course
is speed within range of speed limit + 10% + 2mph to speed limit + 10% +
6mph. i.e. in a 30 mph limit 35 - 39 mph

You're lucky.

What if you're doing 31-34?
Reply 6
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
What if you're doing 31-34?

You don't get a ticket if it's under 10% over the limit.
Reply 7
Original post by CodeJack
You don't get a ticket if it's under 10% over the limit.

That's not true I know someone that got a ticket doing 32 in a 30 zone plus my driving instructor said its not, it's just that it's more likely to get dropped if you appeal.
unlucky man, depending on your area you might be offered the course, it will cost more than the fine of 60£ but its worth it i think.
Silly bugger!
Reply 10
Lets just hope I'm offered the course. Oh well I've sure learnt my lesson, going to be very careful for the next 18 months! Thanks for the help everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by allex
Lets just hope I'm offered the course. Oh well I've sure learnt my lesson, going to be very careful for the next 18 months! Thanks for the help everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Shouldn't that be "very careful for the rest of your driving life" ?!
I was speaking with a friend of mine - mid 50's - and he got done for speeding , exactly the same, 39 in a 30.

He got offered the course but turned it down - he'd rather take the 3 points and the £60 rather than pay £90 to take the course - didn't affect his insurance either :rolleyes:

of course, that's the luxury of age - deffo pay the £90 if you get it offered, which hopefully you should.
Highly likely they'll offer you speed awareness. If it's anything like the one i went on be prepared for lots of pics of a dead ginger kid and going over stuff you'll already know from your theory. I was surprised about the realities of stopping distance's though and got a free pen, so not all bad.
Reply 14
If this is a one off for you then its not too bad - a lesson learned - but if you thunk it is an issue for you then try the advanced driving organisations as they can help you with your observation & thinking processes when driving
Reply 15
Thanks again for all the comments, appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxchloexo
You probably will be able to do the speed awareness course, if not you will just have to be careful for the next 18 months so you don't get your license taken off you. Normally 3 points doesn't make to much difference to your insurance cost. You can also only do the speed awareness course once every 2 years i think.

The speed awareness course is only offered in some areas, not all. So wether the OP gets offered it depends on where they live. For example, i live near the border between mine and 2 other counties. My county doesnt do it, but one of the others nearby does.
And having 3 points on your licence does make a difference to your insurance cost, especially if you are a young driver, it will most likely go up quite a bit.
Reply 17
Original post by Emma:-)

And having 3 points on your licence does make a difference to your insurance cost, especially if you are a young driver, it will most likely go up quite a bit.

Insurance companies aren't really bothered about things like SP30's.
That particular nugget of info came from a pal that happened to own a large insurance co up until about 5 years ago.
Original post by JC.
Insurance companies aren't really bothered about things like SP30's.
That particular nugget of info came from a pal that happened to own a large insurance co up until about 5 years ago.

I guess it depends on insurance companies then. Because a few people i know (my mum being one of them), have had sp30's and their insurance went up a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest