The Student Room Group

Why do people not try? Because they can't do it?

Certain subjects such as religious studies I find people don't try in. They say they don't care because it is easy. Personally I don't try that hard however I don't try to a certain extent. Plus I will revise so I get high marks. Some of these people don't even care about getting a high mark because it is religious studies. Surely if something was easy you would get a high mark to increase you A and A* count. Sometimes I think that it is because they can't. They say it is easy but you still need to be able to answer questions in a certain way. What did you get in RE and other subjects like that?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by _-_Ella_-_
Certain subjects such as religious studies I find people don't try in. They say they don't care because it is easy. Personally I don't try that hard however I don't try to a certain extent. Plus I will revise so I get high marks. Some of these people don't even care about getting a high mark because it is religious studies. Surely if something was easy you would get a high mark to increase you A and A* count. Sometimes I think that it is because they can't. They say it is easy but you still need to be able to answer questions in a certain way. What did you get in RE and other subjects like that?

I think it depends on the person and the subject. There's a difference between saying it's easy and 'I can't be bothered'. RS is one of those subject which no-one really cares about so most people don' see the need to try hard. If there saying it's easy, and getting C's then there not finding it easy and just don't care.

Tom :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by dathtom
I think it depends on the person and the subject. There's a difference between saying it's easy and 'I can't be bothered'. RS is one of those subject which no-one really cares about so most people don' see the need to try hard. If there saying it's easy, and getting C's then there not finding it easy and just don't care.

Tom :smile:

Some people say that it is easy and so don't revise and then get c's. personally if I find something easy I still try so I can get A*s
Reply 3
At GCSE I couldn't stand RE/RS because I hated the fact we spent hours and hours learning about something that has been proven wrong so many times and I've seen overwhelming evidence, so I'm a very strong atheist.
Reply 4
Original post by CodeJack
At GCSE I couldn't stand RE/RS because I hated the fact we spent hours and hours learning about something that has been proven wrong so many times and I've seen overwhelming evidence, so I'm a very strong atheist.

So am I but RS is my favourite subject atm. The syllabus we do is very much about philosophy of religion, and the reasoning behind religion. It's actually very interesting :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by dathtom
So am I but RS is my favourite subject atm. The syllabus we do is very much about philosophy of religion, and the reasoning behind religion. It's actually very interesting :smile:

Yeah that sounds more interesting. Our teacher basically taught it from a religiously bias point of view :frown:
Reply 6
Yeah, I never understood this either. On Edexcel, it was just a case of learn the revision guide and then you're done, no exam technique behind it whatsoever.
Reply 7
Original post by CodeJack
Yeah that sounds more interesting. Our teacher basically taught it from a religiously bias point of view :frown:

It's very much down to the teacher. We're really lucky in that we have amazing RS teachers who make podcasts, revision videos on youtube and loads more to help us in our exams, as well as dedicating most of the class time to debating topics like abortion, euthanasia, cloning etc..
It's an easy enough subject but putting in some effort makes it a lot easier...although I can't say much I only did 15 mins revision as I went in last year but got an A haha

Quick Reply

Latest