The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gemmatovey
How much money will you be living off when you go to uni? (Or how much do you live off if you're already there)

£110 per week. It could be £160 if I do get a part time job. But for now, its £110 per week not including savings.
Reply 2
:O How is it so much?
Reply 3
Original post by Vibenation
£110 per week. It could be £160 if I do get a part time job. But for now, its £110 per week not including savings.

I wish I had that much a week! Without a part-time job I'll have £66 a week :smile:
Original post by ItsSian
I wish I had that much a week! Without a part-time job I'll have £66 a week :smile:

Yeah am very surprised that I have this amount. Are you getting student finance but that makes a massive difference to the money you have.
:O How is it so much?

Because of student finance, I get the maximum amount which is like £7400 for the whole year. My accommodation is £3300 for the whole year so I have like £4000 left so that at least £100 each week. I done all the calculations but it worked out £108 when I did it last week.
Reply 6
I'll be living off £45 a week, without a part time job, but hopefully I'll be able to get a transfer!
Vibenation, are you getting help from family or something for your accommodation?
I'm getting the full amount of student finance but then the majority of that is going toward accommodation!
Reply 7
Probably like £30 a week, oh the perks of applying for newly built accommodation (n) ha.
Reply 8
Hardly anything sadly...my loan doesn't even cover the accommodation costs, so I'll probably have to dip into savings quite a lot :frown:
Reply 9
Hmm I'll calculate and get back to you *Starts rummaging for the accommodation papers*.
Because of student finance, I get the maximum amount which is like £7400 for the whole year. My accommodation is £3300 for the whole year so I have like £4000 left so that at least £100 each week. I done all the calculations but it worked out £108 when I did it last week.

Remember you'll have quite a lot of set-up costs. I'd advise living on about £75 a week and saving the rest for things like bus passes, housing deposits, etc. Even that is a lot of money for a student.
I'll be living off £45 a week, without a part time job, but hopefully I'll be able to get a transfer!
Vibenation, are you getting help from family or something for your accommodation?
I'm getting the full amount of student finance but then the majority of that is going toward accommodation!

No help from family, I have some sort of savings though from my summer job.

My accommodation is like £82 a week or £3300 for the year. Are you getting the loan?
My parents will be giving me £60 a week, which I will definitely be struggling with, especially in Edinburgh which is a pricey city! Currently trying to find the cheapest accommodation so I have some loan to live off! Hopefully I'll earn enough over summer to take around £1000 of my own savings too.

To be honest I think the way Student Finance is allocated is a joke. Why does it go on household income?! That means that people whose parents are divorced can be entitled to full grant if they live with their mum and she doesn't have to work because their dad earns like over 100k and they are minted. Yet someones whose parents earn a combination of like £41000 don't get anything?! No logic whatsoever.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Remember you'll have quite a lot of set-up costs. I'd advise living on about £75 a week and saving the rest for things like bus passes, housing deposits, etc. Even that is a lot of money for a student.

Thanks I don't spend alot. I be careful on the amount I spend. I be looking at £50 a week to live on and just save up some of the money in my other account.
Reply 14
Yeah am very surprised that I have this amount. Are you getting student finance but that makes a massive difference to the money you have.

Yeah, that's just with student finance. I have about £400 saved up, but had to quit my job recently so I don't know if that will even last me up until university. Argh!
Reply 15
No help from family, I have some sort of savings though from my summer job.

My accommodation is like £82 a week or £3300 for the year. Are you getting the loan?

Yeah! My accommodation is £110 a week though! :frown:
Original post by ItsSian
Yeah, that's just with student finance. I have about £400 saved up, but had to quit my job recently so I don't know if that will even last me up until university. Argh!

Same, I quited my job last month because I hated the manager. So I wasted whatever money I had. Try doing a summer job or some sort. I am doing stewarding for festivals and concerts. I be getting at least £2000 because of the crazy hours. There also cleaners job for festival as an option. Good luck.
Yeah! My accommodation is £110 a week though! :frown:

That tough, I be moving to Middlesbrough so living cost be cheap hopefully so I save up my money for after graduation possibly for travelling or paying for masters.

At least you are going uni, so the costs are worth it in my opinion.

Good luck.
Reply 18
Same, I quited my job last month because I hated the manager. So I wasted whatever money I had. Try doing a summer job or some sort. I am doing stewarding for festivals and concerts. I be getting at least £2000 because of the crazy hours. There also cleaners job for festival as an option. Good luck.

I've applied to so many it's unreal and I'm pretty sure every business in my town that's likely to hire summer workers has my CV! That sounds like such a good job :P
Original post by ItsSian

With a part-time job I have £40 a week.

Latest