The Student Room Group

PLEASE HELP!! Higher English - Folio - Word Count

My folio is being sent off tomorrow and I'm still altering my pieces. After hours (and I mean hours :tongue: ) of alterations my personal reflective essay is still 43 words over. That really isn't that much so should I just leave it then lie on the fly leaf/front cover thing or what......? Please help!!! Thanks!!
Reply 1
Original post by FH1996
My folio is being sent off tomorrow and I'm still altering my pieces. After hours (and I mean hours :tongue: ) of alterations my personal reflective essay is still 43 words over. That really isn't that much so should I just leave it then lie on the fly leaf/front cover thing or what......? Please help!!! Thanks!!

Don't leave it and lie- don't go there it's not gonna go down well with the SQA, 43 words is reasonable to get rid of,

Maybe it's allowed somehow but I wouldn't want to risk it.
Reply 2
Original post by Aay
Don't leave it and lie- don't go there it's not gonna go down well with the SQA, 43 words is reasonable to get rid of,

I would hardly think the SQA will penalise you for 43 words over. Mines was like 40 words over and my teacher told me to write "1293". A lot of people in my class were over and he just told us to lie, or even vice versa if peoples word limits were very low he told them to round it up a bit to make it look longer to get a better grades :L

I don't know if it is just my teacher or other schools as well, but I wouldn't worry too much. Even if you try cut it down a bit and are still say 20 or 30 words over, don't pressure yourself :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by CSM1996
I would hardly think the SQA will penalise you for 43 words over. Mines was like 40 words over and my teacher told me to write "1293". A lot of people in my class were over and he just told us to lie, or even vice versa if peoples word limits were very low he told them to round it up a bit to make it look longer to get a better grades :L

I don't know if it is just my teacher or other schools as well, but I wouldn't worry too much. Even if you try cut it down a bit and are still say 20 or 30 words over, don't pressure yourself :smile:

Hahaha legend of a teacher there , fair enough, nah man I'm just saying what's been plugged into my head,

Up to yourself, cut it a wee bit more and you should be okaydokayy.
Reply 4
Original post by CSM1996

My old English teacher did that too but he was a terrible teacher so I wasn't sure if I should trust his judgement :tongue: I'll still see if I can cut it down if I can but I won't worry too much if I can't then. Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Aay

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say you won't be penalised. If I recall correctly, you can be 10% over I think :smile:
Reply 6
On the flyleaf I'm sure it says 1,300 words in exceptional circumstances, so I'm sure it will be fine if you're over. You only get penalised if you're over 1,300 words or if you're over 1,000 words but haven't declared it on the flyleaf. My Personal piece was 1,027 and my Discursive piece was 1,274 and I made sure it was fine. I had to cut down around 200 words from my Discursive essay but I was at the point where it just wouldn't make sense if I cut out anything else. You should be fine as long as you declare the correct word count :smile:
Reply 7
As long as it doesn't look too long it should be fine- someone in my class was only a few words over, but their other essay was of the same length as the word count they'd be writing on their flyleaf looked significantly shorter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending