The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

How respected is Asberdeen uni?

How well respected is this uni and what would the job prospects be like after graduating. And also is it a campus uni?
Reply 1
bump
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
It's not a 'campus uni'.
Reply 3
Original post by Theoneoranro
How well respected is this uni and what would the job prospects be like after graduating. And also is it a campus uni?

It's one of the "ancient" universities in Scotland, which include Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh and St Andrews. It's the third-oldest university Scotland after St Andrews*and Glasgow, and the fifth oldest in the English-speaking world. It is consistently ranked among the top 150 universities in the world. There also five Nobel Prize winners are associated with the University among some other distinguished figures. So yeah it's definitely a good uni, I'm starting there in September :smile:

It all depends on which course you want to do though. There's unis that are ranked higher than Aberdeen, but for the course I want to do they scored lower, so don't just take an overall rating, look deeper. Go to unistats and compare the course content. For the degree I want to do Aberdeen was ranked as best on that website so that's why I chose it.

It's really all about where you'll get the best education for your chosen degree. Unistats tells you all that stuff about job prospects etc.

It's not a campus uni but everything is still located pretty nearby within each campus, and Aberdeen isn't the biggest city in the world. It's a kinda student-sized city haha, and is ranked as one of the best places to be as a student!

So what course have you applied to? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Aberdeen is a good university but it is no where even in the same league as Strathclyde, Herriot watt and if you look at the employment statistics its not even as good as RGU.
Reply 5
Original post by edinburghgal
Aberdeen is a good university but it is no where even in the same league as Strathclyde, Herriot watt and if you look at the employment statistics its not even as good as RGU.

I think it really depends on what course you're wanting to do. For example if I had wanted to do a science/engineering/maths etc type degree I'd have considered the places you mentioned, but considering I'm doing English and the above arent really recognised particularly for those courses. When I compared the English courses on unistats to decide what uni to go to Aberdeen scored best for student course satisfaction, employment or further study rates after 6 months, quality of lecturers, etc. So like I said in my previous post, you should base it on what course you want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by edinburghgal

We are all stupider for having read this. You have lowered the collective IQ of humanity.
Reply 7
Panda 124. Dundee isn't an Ancient University. It's Victorian, founded in 1881.
Reply 8
Original post by GWC

I know I thought that too, but I read something somewhere that said they kinda grouped it with the others because of its ties to St Andrews? I wasn't aware it had ties with St Andrews but whatever, it was just something I read somewhere. I'm with you on that point but I'll see if I can find the article, just as a matter of interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by GWC

It was on Wikipedia (I know, poor source - don't judge me :P), and it generally gets grouped alongside them. Their degrees in the arts are also listed at MAs rather than BAs. Both are the same thing but for 4 years honours degrees in the arts, only ancient universities award them under the title MA as opposed to BA. Dundee is allowed to use the term MA is it's commonly grouped with these universities and because of its ties with St Andrews, which is an ancient university :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Panda124
It was on Wikipedia (I know, poor source - don't judge me :P), and it generally gets grouped alongside them. Their degrees in the arts are also listed at MAs rather than BAs. Both are the same thing but for 4 years honours degrees in the arts, only ancient universities award them under the title MA as opposed to BA. Dundee is allowed to use the term MA is it's commonly grouped with these universities and because of its ties with St Andrews, which is an ancient university :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still not an ancient university.
Original post by GWC

Er, yes it is. It was founded in 1495.

Edit: Sorry, read it as 'Aberdeen'!
Reply 12
Original post by GWC

Original post by Norton1
Still not an ancient university.

Even though Dundee has been founded in 1881 it has, for most of its existence, been a constituent college of the university of St. Andrews. When it became independent it took over some departments (including the Medical School, the School of Law etc.). Even though they are now housed in buildings not more than 130 years old, these departments/schools/colleges have, as institutions, a continuous history of hundreds of years. At the same time Dundee shares all organisational features with the ancient universities (electing a rector, undergraduate MAs, having a senatus academicus, university court and general council) etc.

So it's pretty safe to call Dundee one of the five ancient universities of Scotland - it's simply a campus that broke away from another ancient university, no matter when this campus was founded - it was ancient as part of St. Andrews, it's ancient now :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Sir Fox
Even though Dundee has been founded in 1881 it has, for most of its existence, been a constituent college of the university of St. Andrews. When it became independent it took over some departments (including the Medical School, the School of Law etc.). Even though they are now housed in buildings not more than 130 years old, these departments/schools/colleges have, as institutions, a continuous history of hundreds of years. At the same time Dundee shares all organisational features with the ancient universities (electing a rector, undergraduate MAs, having a senatus academicus, university court and general council) etc.

So it's pretty safe to call Dundee one of the five ancient universities of Scotland - it's simply a campus that broke away from another ancient university, no matter when this campus was founded - it was ancient as part of St. Andrews, it's ancient now :smile:

I knew all this information, I still don't think it's an ancient university. It's ultimately a matter of opinion, and that is my considered opinion.
Original post by Panda124
It's one of the "ancient" universities in Scotland, which include Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow, Edinburgh and St Andrews. It's the third-oldest university Scotland after St Andrews*and Glasgow, and the fifth oldest in the English-speaking world. It is consistently ranked among the top 150 universities in the world. There also five Nobel Prize winners are associated with the University among some other distinguished figures. So yeah it's definitely a good uni, I'm starting there in September :smile:

It all depends on which course you want to do though. There's unis that are ranked higher than Aberdeen, but for the course I want to do they scored lower, so don't just take an overall rating, look deeper. Go to unistats and compare the course content. For the degree I want to do Aberdeen was ranked as best on that website so that's why I chose it.

It's really all about where you'll get the best education for your chosen degree. Unistats tells you all that stuff about job prospects etc.

It's not a campus uni but everything is still located pretty nearby within each campus, and Aberdeen isn't the biggest city in the world. It's a kinda student-sized city haha, and is ranked as one of the best places to be as a student!

So what course have you applied to? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

As a St. Andrean, I do not consider Dundee ancient, as it broke away from St. Andrews. This is all moot and irrelevant.

Ignore the "ediburghgal". She is wrong. Aberdeen is much better than RGU. RGU is a former poly, Aberdeen is an old, traditional and well respected university!
I don't see that age matters very much. Imperial college only started in 1907 and the medical degree there didn't start until 1997 when a few old London med schools amalgamated and moved. It is still well thought of now.
What you are studying matters alot as to how "good" a college/uni is thought to be.
Aberdeen is still well respected for many degrees and younger relatives of mine are loving their time there.
Read the prospectus, look at the website, go to the open day, read unistats and league tables.
Also RGU may be a former poly but it has a reputation at least as good as Aberdeen uni for engineering. It's also good for nurse training. Again it depends on what you want to do.
Original post by taysidefrog
Also RGU may be a former poly but it has a reputation at least as good as Aberdeen uni for engineering. It's also good for nurse training. Again it depends on what you want to do.

Lol if you say so. No on seriously believes that RGU is as good as Aberdeen.
Reply 18
Original post by Calllu-m
Lol if you say so. No on seriously believes that RGU is as good as Aberdeen.

It is, for some subjects. Not overall though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending