The Student Room Group

Previous Drop out - can i still get DSA?

Hi, i'm planning on going back to uni this year, having previously studied a few years at Edinburgh where I unfortunately had to drop out for health reasons. While there I underwent a disability assessment where I was diagnosed, and this was followed by a needs assessment after which I was given an allowance for the time I was there. When I return will I be able to reapply? Or am I not eligible because I have previously received funding?
Reply 1
Original post by charlotte.rigden
Hi, i'm planning on going back to uni this year, having previously studied a few years at Edinburgh where I unfortunately had to drop out for health reasons. While there I underwent a disability assessment where I was diagnosed, and this was followed by a needs assessment after which I was given an allowance for the time I was there. When I return will I be able to reapply? Or am I not eligible because I have previously received funding?

You may be eligible for at least some of your degree, although I'm not sure how your disability affects this. Best to contact them and find out if you haven't already since posting this.
Thanks, I will do - I've not applied yet, just waiting for my PS to be reviewed and complete it before I apply to saas - pretty sure I'm too late to be accepted for this year anyway but I might as well try. Thanks so much for your reply:smile: This site is amazing, everyone is so helpful here.
Reply 3
Thanks, I will do - I've not applied yet, just waiting for my PS to be reviewed and complete it before I apply to saas - pretty sure I'm too late to be accepted for this year anyway but I might as well try. Thanks so much for your reply:smile: This site is amazing, everyone is so helpful here.

Ah, so you're making a late application to uni? It's usually best to contact the university and see if they're accepting late applications as most of the places will be taken by now I'm afraid. Always worth a go though!

Haha, I'm glad you think so! :biggrin: Sorry it took forever for you to get a reply!
Its great to have a place where people can share their experience, I've found out so much useful stuff. As i said, worrying about SAAS only really becomes relevant if i get a place, but if i don;t i will be reapplying next year anyway so at least i would be really prepared.

I know it's rubbish having to apply late, I had put off applying this year because I was meant to be receiving more training this year so next I would have more experience to go forward with, but change in circumstances has meant the position no longer exists, so i'm having to apply last minute and keep my fingers crossed. Totally panicking as I can't remember anything about what we were told to put in our applications in high school.
Reply 5
Its great to have a place where people can share their experience, I've found out so much useful stuff. As i said, worrying about SAAS only really becomes relevant if i get a place, but if i don;t i will be reapplying next year anyway so at least i would be really prepared.

I know it's rubbish having to apply late, I had put off applying this year because I was meant to be receiving more training this year so next I would have more experience to go forward with, but change in circumstances has meant the position no longer exists, so i'm having to apply last minute and keep my fingers crossed. Totally panicking as I can't remember anything about what we were told to put in our applications in high school.

I'm sure it'll all work out in the end though. If you have any questions relating to the application or UCAS or whatever then feel free to ask! :smile:
Thanks, I've been using the Personal statement help service which is a life send, my first draft was just so irrelevant and it was great to be given a nudge in the right direction, but i feel so imposing posing my redraft because i know everyone is busy this time of the year because of exams, and I don't want to seem impatient for a response to it, because its my fault i'm applying so late! I'm a little paranoid that every day I wait reduces what little chance there might be, but on the other hand, I'm not confidant in my ability to sell myself appropriately.
Reply 7
Thanks, I've been using the Personal statement help service which is a life send, my first draft was just so irrelevant and it was great to be given a nudge in the right direction, but i feel so imposing posing my redraft because i know everyone is busy this time of the year because of exams, and I don't want to seem impatient for a response to it, because its my fault i'm applying so late! I'm a little paranoid that every day I wait reduces what little chance there might be, but on the other hand, I'm not confidant in my ability to sell myself appropriately.

Oh you've used PS Help? Awesome! That's where I mod/organise things so it's good to hear you think it's helped! :awesome: We don't really do many reviews at this time of year as the helpers use it as a time to take a break from doing reviews and things since it's not really in the UCAS cycle at the moment. So, it may be the case you don't get a review on your redraft although I've just marked it as 'Updated' to make it obvious you've posted a redraft as it must have been missed.
Thanks again! I completely understand, its a great service to be able to offer people, i'd definitely be shouting about it being a help! I'll maybe give it another day just in case I get lucky, but even if I end up submitting it as is, I know what I have now is a lot better than what I had before!
Reply 9
Thanks again! I completely understand, its a great service to be able to offer people, i'd definitely be shouting about it being a help! I'll maybe give it another day just in case I get lucky, but even if I end up submitting it as is, I know what I have now is a lot better than what I had before!

Cool, good luck with your application. Keep us updated! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending