The Student Room Group

average utility bills for london studio

Hello!

I am moving to London next september with my boyfriend for postgraduate studies. We are not from the UK so I would like to know if somebody could help with an estimation of the utility bills pcm(council tax, gas/electricity, water) just to have a general idea. We will look for a studio in West London most likely. I am looking around at some adverts in zoopla and I don't know if I should prefer studios with bills included or not.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Media - last I heard, Virgin Media package (TV, landline phone and good broadband internet) is about £20 for the first 6 months, I if I or someone recommends you, they get £50 off their bill.

Water - get a meter if possible, unless you plan on using lots!

Electricity / Gas - probably under £50/month for a studio unless you are from the desert/jungle and you want to wear shorts & T-shirt all year.

Council Tax - probably about £120/month

Rent - will be the biggest, consider cheaper areas, but don't live near a busy road (fumes).

Areas to store bicycles is another consideration.

Speak to the student accommodation department, they will know the local area, where to avoid.
Reply 2
Thank you very much for your reply.It is very helpful as I wanted to have an average to see if the adverts that include all bills are a better choice.

My campus is in south London but my boyfriend's in west, so we are not set in one area. I've been looking for studios in Fulham,Bayswater,Shepherd's Bush,Hammersmith and Clapham mostly.
Reply 3
hi! I go to university in London myself and am currently doing that flat hunting thing too! I'm looking in the Fulham area myself.

Just thought you would like to know that for Fulham you pay an average on water costs. So it is an average for the full area not per household. Most buildings that use electricity use Sparks. I'd speak to a company called Foxtons. They are probably one of the best/most reputable estate agencies in West London. You have to pay 350 + VAT sign on fee but this is well worth it for the customer service you get!

I managed to find a 2 bed place for 350£ a week. It isn't impossible!! Best of luck.
Reply 4
If you're both full time postgraduate students then you won't have to pay council tax
Reply 5
Thanks so much for the info.

KKKKatie, my boyfriend is an undergraduate, is the council tax free only for postgraduates?

Peachz, 350 for a 2 bedroom?Really? That's great. I hope we find a deal like that too because so far I only see ads for 800 pounds and more. We wouldn't like to share a bathroom with others if possible and I guess this makes the search more difficult.
Reply 6
Dunno, just a guess, please advise
Definitely not haha. I've lived in a few flats, nothing particularly upmarket and definitely not London prices, but I've been on the lowest council tax band and mine's been around 100-120 a month! x
Reply 8
£120 a year? Where?

I'm in a flat in Hertfordshire paying just under £100/month, so I guess 120 for a studio in London
Reply 9
My council tax is £90 a month after 25% single discount, in the lowest band.

Posted from Juno's amazing phone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending