The Student Room Group

French SL/HL and Subjects choice

Is there a big difference between French B SL and HL ? I'm pre-IB student, and I'm still thinking about subjects I should choose. For now my choice is English Litereture Polish HL History HL Physics SL MathsSL/Studies French (?) Do you think it will be hard to pass ? Thanks for your answers.
Reply 1
I'm in my 2nd IB year, sitting my exams in a couple of weeks. I currently do SL French, along with SL Biology and English, with HL Maths, Geog and chem :smile:
There is quite a big difference between SL and HL. SL still needs you to be pretty good, but HL you need to be able to read french novels and go into a lot lot more depth. If you have got enough HL subjects anyway I wouldn't recommend you take it at HL unless you are fairly fluent.

Hope this helps and please ask any more questions you may have :smile:
French SL is awful. I'm IB second year too, and French is what's stopping me hitting the 40s.
Reply 3
have to say I'm in the same position :/ ideally I need a 6 but I will be lucky to scrape a 5 haha.
Original post by gravesy
have to say I'm in the same position :/ ideally I need a 6 but I will be lucky to scrape a 5 haha.

I'd love a 6, but it won't happen. A 4 is more likely than a 5. haha
The standard in French B SL is actually pretty steep, something which took me by surprise as I never thought that the jump between GCSE and IB would be that big. The reading passages are by far the most difficult, followed by the writing and orals, but if you have a firm grasp of the grammar and a fair amount of vocab under your belt, you should be alright.
Reply 6
Thanks for your answers :smile: I've decided to take French SL, because it also seems quite demanding.
Reply 7
Original post by Calllu-m
I'd love a 6, but it won't happen. A 4 is more likely than a 5. haha

It is my speaking that lets me down, i just panic and can't remember anything haha
Reply 8
I'm taking HL French B AND HL Spanish B...
WHY MUST IT BE SO DIFFICULT!?!?! I would say... DONT TAKE TWO HL LANGUAGE Bs unless fluent.
Also, anyone else feel my pain out there?! And... French marking seems to be much harsher than Spanish, I just can't get a those last few marks needed for a gold grade in French :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending