The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Sexist gym with women only hours

I was wondering if any of you have seen this article posted on the daily mail
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2311098/Peter-Lloyd-Why-Im-suing-gym-sexist-women-hours.html
and what are your thoughts

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He's got a point. If women don't feel 'comfortable' working out next to men, then that's their problem. Males shouldn't be punished for their insecurities. If they're too busy worrying about men, they're obviously not working hard enough anyway.
Original post by heirloom
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2311098/Peter-Lloyd-Why-Im-suing-gym-sexist-women-hours.html

Well to be honest I suffered from this sort of thing at my local swimming pool, however it wasn't women only hours but over 50's. Apparently some of the elderly felt 'intimidated' by younger members of the community (which I find a gross stereotype, not to mention there is actually security on hand so I fail to see how any trouble would arise). Freedom in this country is essentially about who can lobby the hardest and plead the case that their petty and benign rights have been infringed. In reality it is just about members of the community seeking all the rewards without giving a damn about anyone else. It is sickeningly egotistic.

I doubt all the women at this specific gym demanded women only hours (and I'd be wary of any report in the DM, simply because it is in the DM). Most likely the hours were forced upon the gym by a very small minority, but if this has to be the case, it is wrong to charge the same membership package to males if they are coerced into using the facilities less than they may desire.
Original post by heirloom

He's right, it's a mixed gender gym there shouldn't be any women only times. Gender segregation is stupid anyway, it's the uk, not Saudi Arabia!

Posted from TSR Mobile
A) maintain a women's hour but introduce a men's alternative for fairness,
B) keep women's hour (and only women's hour) but annually charge men less,
C) scrap single-gender sessions altogether.

All of these are perfectly reasonable and i think in general he raises some very good points, honestly i never understood the concept of women feeling uncomfortable because men look at them, you go to the gym to exercise not to compete against other women for who is the most attractive and i'm guessing it is only a handful of women who actually care if men are in the gym with them or not. Most importantly he does have a strong legal case, you can't charge people for services you are preventing them from using without good cause and by not offering men equal time or a reduced cost membership that is what they are doing.
Original post by Darth Stewie
A) maintain a women's hour but introduce a men's alternative for fairness,
B) keep women's hour (and only women's hour) but annually charge men less,
C) scrap single-gender sessions altogether.

All of these are perfectly reasonable and i think in general he raises some very good points, honestly i never understood the concept of women feeling uncomfortable because men look at them, you go to the gym to exercise not to compete against other women for who is the most attractive and i'm guessing it is only a handful of women who actually care if men are in the gym with them or not. Most importantly he does have a strong legal case, you can't charge people for services you are preventing them from using without good cause and by not offering men equal time or a reduced cost membership that is what they are doing.

That pretty much sums it up.
Reply 6
His three 3 point argument is perfectly rational and it has no reason not to be put ahead.
Reply 7
My brother was complaining yesterday that the majority of women who go to the gym he goes to end up not working out but giggling to each other and eyeing-up all the guys, whereas the guys in there knuckle down, train hard, and get out. Having worked in a gym I can certainly see his point. Coincidently, in the gym that I worked in they had a women's only gym, and was only ever used by females of larger size. They could have used that part of the gym as a much-needed staff room.
Although I agree that paying the same price is wrong, men know the hours before the sign the contract. They are signing up for a gym which has women only hours and that's what they're getting. Ideally women should pay extra to workout at "women only" times.

Despite this in my opinion the sexism is balanced on both sides. A minority of women feel uncomfortable being in the gym with men due to the sexist behaviour of a minority of men.
Reply 9
Original post by therisenmitten
Despite this in my opinion the sexism is balanced on both sides. A minority of women feel uncomfortable being in the gym with men due to the sexist behaviour of a minority of men.

Hmm, what do you mean by "sexist behaviour" here? I've never seen anything of the sort in any gym, could you give an example maybe?
Original post by justinawe
Hmm, what do you mean by "sexist behaviour" here? I've never seen anything of the sort in any gym, could you give an example maybe?

Some guys use the gym to attempt to chat up women, but more often they make fun of women that want to use the weights. I think some guys assume that girls just don't take the gym seriously enough and are just hogging equipment for no reason.

I can understand that some girls just want to do their workout without guys criticizing them on their technique/workout every minute in an attempt to sound clever.
Women only hours isn't an ideal system though.
Some guys use the gym to attempt to chat up women, but more often they make fun of women that want to use the weights. I think some guys assume that girls just don't take the gym seriously enough and are just hogging equipment for no reason.

I can understand that some girls just want to do their workout without guys criticizing them on their technique/workout every minute in an attempt to sound clever.

Some women probably do the same. Basing an argument around 'some people' is almost never a good idea.
Reply 12
There are so few gentlemen nowadays that women even need their own session now. I never thought it would get this bad. I hope they never impose this in my gym. I'll be mad as hell!
Perfectly reasonable, there's no need for gender segregation in modern society.
Original post by Martyn*
My brother was complaining yesterday that the majority of women who go to the gym he goes to end up not working out but giggling to each other and eyeing-up all the guys, whereas the guys in there knuckle down, train hard, and get out. Having worked in a gym I can certainly see his point. Coincidently, in the gym that I worked in they had a women's only gym, and was only ever used by females of larger size. They could have used that part of the gym as a much-needed staff room.

How the hell are you red on a forum that abolished the negging system a long time ago? (pathetic i know)
Original post by Spetznaaz
How the hell are you red on a forum that abolished the negging system a long time ago? (pathetic i know)

Dunno.
Reply 16
Asssuming that the details of this article are correct (it is the Daily Mail), I'm pleasantly surprised to find myself in agreement with the premise of the piece. Coherent, rational alternatives to the current policy, which would be frowned upon if it were the other way round, have been put forward.
Whenever I go to the gym and there is a female there they often end up getting chatted up by every guy within her vicinity, so I can understand why some women might like the idea of a women only time slot. However, it is sexist and his 3 suggestions are perfectly reasonable.

Completely agree with this. I used to be a member of Virgin Active. Every time I ventured into the weights zone I received heaps of unsolicited advice and was always asked incredulously why I wanted "to get bulky" (always by men) when all I wanted was to be left in peace to exercise. It made me feel very intimidated and I ended up confined to the women-only zone which didn't have the free-weights & barbells I wanted to use - just a few treadmills, crosstrainers, weight machines and exercise balls. Tbh I don't think the men in the weights section meant to do anything other than flirt or show off but it got unbearably irritating after the first week.
The best solution is to have the women's section of the gym, but with the same equipment as the men's.
Original post by tnetennba
Completely agree with this. I used to be a member of Virgin Active. Every time I ventured into the weights zone I received heaps of unsolicited advice and was always asked incredulously why I wanted "to get bulky" (always by men) when all I wanted was to be left in peace to exercise. It made me feel very intimidated and I ended up confined to the women-only zone which didn't have the free-weights & barbells I wanted to use - just a few treadmills, crosstrainers, weight machines and exercise balls. Tbh I don't think the men in the weights section meant to do anything other than flirt or show off but it got unbearably irritating after the first week.
The best solution is to have the women's section of the gym, but with the same equipment as the men's.

So essentially, segregate gyms by sex? Sounds like a step back towards the old times.
Also, impractical. What if a couple goes to the gym and wants to work out together? Or a father and daughter, or male and female friends, etc?

Latest

Trending

Trending