The Student Room Group

A level schools for 19-year-old international student?

I am 18 turning 19 in jan 2014 and I'm from Hong Kong. I have finished my last year of high school in an US online school but I would like to study in UK. Therefore I would need to take A levels (I don't want to do a foundation course since i haven't decided what to major in). I know it's pretty late to apply for most of the sixth form colleges and also considering my age, I think there are not many that would accept me? Does anyone have any suggestions of some good schools that might still accept applications now?

I have searched for a couple, for example Bellerbys, Cats, JLC, Bosworth, etc. I know the first two are pretty reputable and also good for international students but I would like to see if there are any less expensive ones. I heard JLC is not good although their A level results are outstanding (it's just some rumours about the internal operation being problematic). Bosworth seems great and also accepts older students but I'm concerned if their teaching is good?

Please give some suggestions if you have any experience with any sixth form colleges or schools with good teaching. Thanks!
Reply 1
Hi
I moved cities and also thought it was too late to apply to sixth form.

Having already done an additional year, I was older than everyone else but I found Plymstock School in Plymouth the most welcoming of schools. The teachers are down to earth and funny, they support you as we'll as reward you when you've done well.

They accepted me one day before term started, so it's never too late!
Reply 2
There are a lot of international students at my college and I believe it has a fairly good reputation, here's the website if you're interested :smile: Doesn't look like there's a maximum age either
Reply 3
Original post by Gnome :)
There are a lot of international students at my college and I believe it has a fairly good reputation, here's the website if you're interested :smile: Doesn't look like there's a maximum age either

Thanks. Looks like a very supportive college, but looking at their students' A level results, it seems like it's not very outstanding. Thanks for your suggestion anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by kcky
I am 18 turning 19 in jan 2014 and I'm from Hong Kong. I have finished my last year of high school in an US online school but I would like to study in UK. Therefore I would need to take A levels (I don't want to do a foundation course since i haven't decided what to major in).

Are you sure that you need to do British A Levels? Many university courses will accept overseas equivalent qualifications. It might be worth thinking about what sort of course you want and then looking at the entry requirements for a few likely universities/courses. You can also email their Admissions Office with the courses you're considering, tell them your qualifications and ask if they'd be acceptable - and if not, what additional qualifications you might need. It could be easier than you think.

As a potential full fee-paying overseas student, you'll be a very attractive candidate for many UK universities and you can expect them to be helpful.
Reply 5
Original post by Klix88
Are you sure that you need to do British A Levels? Many university courses will accept overseas equivalent qualifications. It might be worth thinking about what sort of course you want and then looking at the entry requirements for a few likely universities/courses. You can also email their Admissions Office with the courses you're considering, tell them your qualifications and ask if they'd be acceptable - and if not, what additional qualifications you might need. It could be easier than you think.

As a potential full fee-paying overseas student, you'll be a very attractive candidate for many UK universities and you can expect them to be helpful.

The reason is because I didn't take any AP classes during my high school which are seen as more rigorous courses. In the US, most top unis would look at whether I've taken AP classes and what my scores are, something like extra credit. But almost everyone aspiring to get into top unis take them so I would be less of an advantage.
Reply 6
AP courses are accepted by UK universities for international students. If you are familiar with the requirements of AP exams, you might be better off studying for them in your home location and then applying for UK universities if that is where you want to study.

You should get some texts books for A levels and AP exams and see which suit your learning style best and then decide on an academic route. If it is feasible to study for 3 or AP exams over the next 12 months, that would be probably be more cost effective than coming to the UK for A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending