The Student Room Group

A level schools for 19-year-old international student?

I am 18 turning 19 in jan 2014 and I'm from Hong Kong. I have finished my last year of high school in an US online school but I would like to study in UK. Therefore I would need to take A levels (I don't want to do a foundation course since i haven't decided what to major in). I know it's pretty late to apply for most of the sixth form colleges and also considering my age, I think there are not many that would accept me? Does anyone have any suggestions of some good schools that might still accept applications now?

I have searched for a couple, for example Bellerbys, Cats, JLC, Bosworth, etc. I know the first two are pretty reputable and also good for international students but I would like to see if there are any less expensive ones. I heard JLC is not good although their A level results are outstanding (it's just some rumours about the internal operation being problematic). Bosworth seems great and also accepts older students but I'm concerned if their teaching is good?

Please give some suggestions if you have any experience with any sixth form colleges or schools with good teaching. Thanks!
Reply 1
I would think a foundation course would be your best bet! I'm doing one this year hopefully it will turn out good!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
No you can apply using the SATs or APs
Reply 3
Original post by Farid Jalil
I would think a foundation course would be your best bet! I'm doing one this year hopefully it will turn out good!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yes I did consider a foundation course before but since my online high school finishes this summer, it would be too late to apply for a Sept start foundation course and besides I haven't decided which subject to major in yet. :/
Reply 4
Original post by Calllu-m
No you can apply using the SATs or APs

Unfortunately, I was actually training full time in ballet and it would be too rigorous to do APs for my online high school. I never thought I would stop dancing and go to university instead so I didn't take AP. So I guess doing A levels is my only choice?
Original post by kcky
Unfortunately, I was actually training full time in ballet and it would be too rigorous to do APs for my online high school. I never thought I would stop dancing and go to university instead so I didn't take AP. So I guess doing A levels is my only choice?

I would strongly advise doing APs and SATs as the education system you've done is more geared to American exams.
Reply 6
I would strongly advise doing APs and SATs as the education system you've done is more geared to American exams.

Hi, in fact I would have enough credits to graduate in my online high school this year, and if i were to take AP courses i don't think I could manage it in a online course. If you have any idea, do you think I could be enrolled in an US high school to take AP courses considering I'm an international student. Or should I just study the course myself (if it is ever possible) and take SAT subject tests myself? I never think of doing AP because I thought high school students usually take 1-2 years time to finish the courses. Thanks.
Original post by kcky
Hi, in fact I would have enough credits to graduate in my online high school this year, and if i were to take AP courses i don't think I could manage it in a online course. If you have any idea, do you think I could be enrolled in an US high school to take AP courses considering I'm an international student. Or should I just study the course myself (if it is ever possible) and take SAT subject tests myself? I never think of doing AP because I thought high school students usually take 1-2 years time to finish the courses. Thanks.

Yes I studied the SAT by myself and got 2000 and 700 in Bio Genetics and 750 in English. It's easy.
Reply 8
Yes I studied the SAT by myself and got 2000 and 700 in Bio Genetics and 750 in English. It's easy.

I think I could try to do the SAT and the subject tests myself but having no AP courses would be a disadvantage for applying to good universities... that is my main concern. Mind if I ask if you're in US now?
Original post by kcky
I think I could try to do the SAT and the subject tests myself but having no AP courses would be a disadvantage for applying to good universities... that is my main concern. Mind if I ask if you're in US now?

No. St Andrews (top 5 uni in the UK) give unconditionals to people with SAT subject tests. No. I'm doing the IB in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending