The Student Room Group

Central Saint Martins Foundation 2013-2014

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I heard the same rumours too! Also your tumblr is awesome!!! I saw the sketchbook you made, I've been trying to learn about bookmaking too. Do you have any tips?
Reply 21
Hi all i know this is kind of an irrelevent post but im planning to go to CSM next year and i was wondering if work experience is an important factor? like gallery work and stuff. or do they mostly just take into account your portfolio work? i know the more work experience the better but yeahhhh
Original post by Hello95
Hi im also starting this sep on foundation. Do you think will wyatt and don gratton are in bad areas of London ? that whole whitechapel / Hackney area, I have always thought as somewhat unsafe (Im probably wrong). I was really liking woodland court - what bad stuff have you heard ?

Thanks

I'm starting this sep on foundation too! I'm from Canada.
I've heard that will and don are in bad areas too, but they were my first two choices D: I'm not sure, woodland sounds amazing but the problem is the 51 week contract, and idk if i'm gonna stay there for the whole summer.
Reply 23
Original post by artsyfartsyness
Yeah I heard the same rumours too! Also your tumblr is awesome!!! I saw the sketchbook you made, I've been trying to learn about bookmaking too. Do you have any tips?

I guess you were talking about my tumblr, thanks alot if you were! Its not too hard bookmaking, I just started off with making simple things of folded paper sewed in the middle and then i started to bind lots off these little booklets together to make a thicker book. Hardback covers are not too difficult, I just covered mountboard in cloth. I just did a mixture of searching for stuff online and working stuff out as I went along. So just start off simple and you will work out how you can keep getting more complicated as you get used to the stitching.
Original post by ephesus
I guess you were talking about my tumblr, thanks alot if you were! Its not too hard bookmaking, I just started off with making simple things of folded paper sewed in the middle and then i started to bind lots off these little booklets together to make a thicker book. Hardback covers are not too difficult, I just covered mountboard in cloth. I just did a mixture of searching for stuff online and working stuff out as I went along. So just start off simple and you will work out how you can keep getting more complicated as you get used to the stitching.

Yep I definetely was !
That's awesome I am gonna try one for sure, I just need to get all the supplies together and stuff. The ones you did are super professional though!
Reply 25
Yep I definetely was !
That's awesome I am gonna try one for sure, I just need to get all the supplies together and stuff. The ones you did are super professional though!

Thanks! They were after a lot of tests of not so good ones. A few tips are:
-choose nice thicker paper good for folding
- keep your hands really clean, if you are messy like me you can wear gloves but whats best i find is to always use a layer of clean newprint paper ont op when folding to reduce contact between your hands and paper
-piercing a hole through lots of booklets can be tough, i actually found that the easiest way was the put the books under a sewing machine needle and just by hand turn the wheel of the machine once so i could punch a single hole in the wad of paper to then sew through. But you can also just use a needle with a thimble
- after i folded and sewed the paper bundles i trimmed the edges with a big guillotine cutter we have at college and this makes it look really proffesional by smoothing off the edges, if you can access anything similar then do try but you can also leave the edges messy which is also nice if you are looking for a more obviously handmade aesthetic
hope that helped :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by NL333
Hi all i know this is kind of an irrelevent post but im planning to go to CSM next year and i was wondering if work experience is an important factor? like gallery work and stuff. or do they mostly just take into account your portfolio work? i know the more work experience the better but yeahhhh

From my point of you, I didnt have any work experience so I say the quality of ur portfolio work is the thing you should focus on! :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by fl4
hey, good idea, i was just wondering if anyone knows if its still gonna be at back hill or move to kings x because apparently its moving to kings x this september, not sure if this is just a rumour ?
and im staying at home dont have the p :frown:

Hey! I was on the phone to Student Services the other day and they said that it was moving. They weren't 100% clear about it but they basically said it's going to be moved to Kings and Archway. I'd assume that means they'll be moving their equipment between the two, but maybe basing students at one of splitting them 50/50?

I'm staying at home too and commuting in everyday. So hopefully it'll be a kings because it's way more central than Archway.
Reply 28
Original post by woohyunn
Finally a CSM Foundation 2013-2014 thread! :biggrin:
I got accepted onto the foundation course aswell! I was just wondering; How did u guys accept your place? I sent an email back with my student ID as the subject and wrote nothing. Should I have wrote something like "..I accept?" LOL, weird question I know xD

Have they emailed you back saying thank you for accepting or anything? If not I would suggest sending it again but write that you've accepted the offer in the email, just to be safe :smile:
I've been accepted by CSM Foundation aswell! Looking forward to the course!And now I'm worrying about the accommodation places. Does anyone of you have any tips or information ?'cause Im from China ,not familiar with the accommodation as well as you guys in London....
Reply 30
Original post by daisymay94
Have they emailed you back saying thank you for accepting or anything? If not I would suggest sending it again but write that you've accepted the offer in the email, just to be safe :smile:

I emailed them back and I called them, they confirmed that I have accepted! thank god for that! thanks for the tip ^_^''
Reply 31
Original post by Jakemartinez_Hu
I've been accepted by CSM Foundation aswell! Looking forward to the course!And now I'm worrying about the accommodation places. Does anyone of you have any tips or information ?'cause Im from China ,not familiar with the accommodation as well as you guys in London....

I'm from London, i'm not moving out so I dont know too much about accommodations. What do u need tips and help on? like what areas are good and stuff?
Original post by ephesus
Thanks! They were after a lot of tests of not so good ones. A few tips are:
-choose nice thicker paper good for folding
- keep your hands really clean, if you are messy like me you can wear gloves but whats best i find is to always use a layer of clean newprint paper ont op when folding to reduce contact between your hands and paper
-piercing a hole through lots of booklets can be tough, i actually found that the easiest way was the put the books under a sewing machine needle and just by hand turn the wheel of the machine once so i could punch a single hole in the wad of paper to then sew through. But you can also just use a needle with a thimble
- after i folded and sewed the paper bundles i trimmed the edges with a big guillotine cutter we have at college and this makes it look really proffesional by smoothing off the edges, if you can access anything similar then do try but you can also leave the edges messy which is also nice if you are looking for a more obviously handmade aesthetic
hope that helped :smile:

Wow thanks that helped so much actually and you probably saved me a lot of time in experimenting. I'll definetely do the thing with the newsprint cuz my hands always get so messy, and the sewing machine trick is such a good idea!!! Yeah we have one of those cutters too they are awesome aren't they? :biggrin: Do you have deviantart? Mine's artsyfartsyness.deviantart.com

I'm so gonna make myself a sketchbook once I'm done with the one I'm using right now! Thanks for the tips :biggrin:
Reply 33
Wow thanks that helped so much actually and you probably saved me a lot of time in experimenting. I'll definetely do the thing with the newsprint cuz my hands always get so messy, and the sewing machine trick is such a good idea!!! Yeah we have one of those cutters too they are awesome aren't they? :biggrin: Do you have deviantart? Mine's artsyfartsyness.deviantart.com

I'm so gonna make myself a sketchbook once I'm done with the one I'm using right now! Thanks for the tips :biggrin:

No problem, i hope your bookmaking goes well! I don't have deviantart but I just look at yours - the shoes are really impressive! What method do you use to print on to the shoes?
Hi, I've also accepted my conditional place for the foundation course starting september 2013. It's cool to think we will all be doing the course together!
I've looked round accommodation and these are my choices:
1. Manna Ash
2. Don Gratton
3. Cordwainers Court
Is anyone else a bit worried about affording the rent? Do you know if we can apply for student loans or anything?
x
I've been accepted too! I'm going to be studying the fashion and textiles pathway. Is anyone else doing this pathway?

Also I think woodland court is my preferred accomodation as it is so close to the kings cross campus, but the reviews are awful! So now I'm confused, especially as housing applications open tomorrow eep! Anyone else in the same boat? Where have you all applied? :smile:
Original post by ArtyGirl1607
Hi, I've also accepted my conditional place for the foundation course starting september 2013. It's cool to think we will all be doing the course together!
I've looked round accommodation and these are my choices:
1. Manna Ash
2. Don Gratton
3. Cordwainers Court
Is anyone else a bit worried about affording the rent? Do you know if we can apply for student loans or anything?
x

Hey,

dont worry I've got the same problem! I'm moving away from home in Yorkshire so I have been researching into funding etc.
Apparently during the summer, we will be sent an info pack with application forms etc to fill out. There are 3 different benefits to apply for which the advisor recommended to fill out:

1. Housing benefits
2. Residential bursary
3. Learner support fund

hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by SallyCheung1
I've been accepted too! I'm going to be studying the fashion and textiles pathway. Is anyone else doing this pathway?

Also I think woodland court is my preferred accomodation as it is so close to the kings cross campus, but the reviews are awful! So now I'm confused, especially as housing applications open tomorrow eep! Anyone else in the same boat? Where have you all applied? :smile:

Yup! I'm doing the fashion / style and textiles pathway too =D kekeke
Original post by woohyunn
Yup! I'm doing the fashion / style and textiles pathway too =D kekeke

Awesome! I'm genuinely so excited! :biggrin: Daunting but definitely exciting :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SallyCheung1
Hey,

dont worry I've got the same problem! I'm moving away from home in Yorkshire so I have been researching into funding etc.
Apparently during the summer, we will be sent an info pack with application forms etc to fill out. There are 3 different benefits to apply for which the advisor recommended to fill out:

1. Housing benefits
2. Residential bursary
3. Learner support fund

hope this helps! :smile:

Hi, Yes thanks that's really helpful! :smile: Although I would have thought sending them out in the summer is pretty late seeing as we're applying for accommodation now and the rent of each place is likely to influence our choices. Either way, sounds helpful I guess :smile: Do you know what else is in this info pack?
x

Quick Reply

Latest