The Student Room Group

Opinion about these universities.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by nju
Actually for economics Nottingham has higher entry requirements than York
http://www.york.ac.uk/economics/undergraduate/courses/bsc-economics/
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/economics/ba-bsc-economics.aspx
There is nothing wrong with a large number of students, it just means that there is more diversity which I prefer but everyone has different preferences.
Nottingham for economics has the higher average salary of £28000 compared to York of £23000 and Manchester has £25500, so overall I would say notts is the most prestigious out of the choices

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10007167-UUBECOSECO3~UBECOSECO3
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10007798-287
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10007154-L100

What can you not understand?
Average salary does not mean anything, things change a lot over 5 years in work.

Some prestigious jobs do not pay well at the start!

Over all York is a better university than notts.
I wouldn't base your choices on prestige at the end of the day. They all have good reputations. Factors such as course content, location, etc. It's not as if there's a HUGE difference between them.
Reply 62
Original post by ssxx
York is a target university for investment banks...here is the link:rolleyes:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2007/may/19/choosingadegree.highereducation7

Your link seems to be quite old.

Original post by ssxx

Notts does not give an over all graduate prospect....you are fooled like statistics.

It does not show the quality of jobs, people in notts can end up in a lower position job in 6 months but people in York could go traveling and see the world within the first 6 months.

You need to learn about statistics

So if you are not using statistics, what are YOU using? The "fact" that you know "loads of people blah blah blah"?
Reply 63
Original post by ssxx
What can you not understand?
Average salary does not mean anything, things change a lot over 5 years in work.

Some prestigious jobs do not pay well at the start!

Do you have any evidence to support any of the claims you are making? Also unemployed rate is higher for York compared to notts too (look at my previous links)
Reply 64
I would really recommend looking up the Complete University Guide. It will show you the statistics for your chosen subject, based on factors such as student satisfaction or career success.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by nju
Do you have any evidence to support any of the claims you are making? Also unemployed rate is higher for York compared to notts too (look at my previous links)

Stop being so simple minded.

The employed stats does not show the quality of jobs.
You can have 100% employment level of notts students doing lower jobs.

But have 80% of people from York doing middle and top jobs!
Reply 66
Original post by LutherVan
Your link seems to be quite old.

So if you are not using statistics, what are YOU using? The "fact" that you know "loads of people blah blah blah"?

So the link showing York students being targeted by investment banks is old?
So, it means they been doing this for years....:rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Manchester >Nottingham >Lancaster >Leeds >Sheffield >York >Exeter ....

From an international
perspective Manchester is the most famous.

Reply 68
Original post by HandsomeHunter
Manchester >Nottingham >Lancaster >Leeds >Sheffield >York >Exeter ....

From an international
perspective Manchester is the most famous.

Misleading due to the large size!
Reply 69
Original post by ssxx
So the link showing York students being targeted by investment banks is old?
So, it means they been doing this for years....:rolleyes:

You gave a 2007 link, I gave a 2010 link.

So tell us what are YOU using if not statistics?
Reply 70
Original post by LutherVan
You gave a 2007 link, I gave a 2010 link.

So tell us what are YOU using if not statistics?

So, are you trying to say within 3 years, York is no longer a target university?:rolleyes:
Reply 71
Before I start on the other points, just to mention the spending figures. Manchester has actually begun its investment

Looking at things from a spend per student standpoint doesn't get over the fact that spending money doesn't necessarily mean a university will improve its status, especially as all universities invest.

As for size, you'll find universities of a similar size to York are also investing large sums. Durham only has about 2k more students than York, but it is currently undergoing a ten year (2010 - 2020) plan that has already seen a few hundred million pounds of investment. I think one building alone, the Palatinate Centre, cost £100 million.

Original post by ssxx
Wrong! It is misleading ,they put Manchester higher than Oxbridge for employment, only becuse it offerd many more degree, but in real life people from Oxbridge and York get more prestigious jobs than Manchester or notts

I don't know what this refers to. If it is the Times High Flyer survey then Manchester was placed first simply because it was the most targeted university by the selected graduate employers that year. This is down to the number of students, as well as it being a major city, as much as anything. However, that it did rank so high demonstrates that it is well targeted.

You say York graduates get more "prestigious" jobs than Nottingham grads, but this is completely baseless. You do realise that Nottingham has produced several CEOs of major multi-national companies and investment banks, as well as the current head of MI6? Although York has its success', what makes them greater success? Not that a university's quality should be defined by what its graduates get up to, often years after graduation.

And, again, there is no University of Nottinghamshire.

Original post by ssxx

And how do you justify this? Certainly not based in the most recent RAE, or QAA teaching quality reports. Or league table positions. All will show that, while it's difficult comparing multi-faculty universities (especially ones of different size) the two are broadly comparable. As are most Russell Group universities, arguably.

Nottingham has the stronger economics department, at least from a research point of view, though this isn't to say York's isn't good also, and the OP should chose according to course content, location, and other subjective factors.
Reply 72
[QUOTE=

Greg dyke went to York, then went to run the BBC.

As for RAE....York is ranked 8th for quantity of research.

low drop-out rate of 4% (only Oxbridge, Bristol, and UCL are lower).

20 out of 23 departments gained an "excellent" rating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_York#cite_note-UCAS_Tariff-42

Durham has not spent 750 million!
Manchester might have started but it has not spent a billion yet, and the money over 40,000 students is still not much as York in ratio.
Reply 73
Original post by ssxx
So, are you trying to say within 3 years, York is no longer a target university?:rolleyes:

It appears so and I can see you are dodging telling us how you make your judgements without statistics.:biggrin:
Reply 74
Original post by ssxx
Stop being so simple minded.

The employed stats does not show the quality of jobs.
You can have 100% employment level of notts students doing lower jobs.

But have 80% of people from York doing middle and top jobs!

as I said in my previous post, do you have any evidence to support your claims?
Reply 75
Original post by ssxx

I know who Greg Dyke is, and what a Director General of the BBC does. He lives down the road from me...

However, he is one alumnus. All universities, particularly Russell Group universities, produce such figures.

John Sawers went to Nottingham and now "runs" the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6).

What's your point?

8th for quality, wasn't it? Anyway, Nottingham ranks seventh for research power. York isn't in the top 10. Nottingham is fourth in terms of research income, I think, York isn't in the top 10. Admittedly this means little for an undergraduate, and Nottingham's research is partly the result of its larger size and medical school. Nonetheless, they are things to consider.

And, as it's relevant to the thread, its economics department is one of the best in the country both in research quality and research power.

Show me?

And you don't need to provide Wikipedia links to Oxbridge, Bristol and UCL. I'm well aware of what they are.

The QAA can be a little out of date, though I was the one who brought it up.

But similar results to that can be found across Russell Group universities. In the most recent assessment at Nottingham they received the highest commendation for quality of teaching.

The two are comparable in numerous rankings of entry tariff.

I didn't say it had. I said several hundred million. What difference is an extra £100 million or so?

Perhaps in the 10 years previous Durham invested £200 million in services and buildings, and York only invested £80 million. Throwing statistics around in this manner is quite meaningless.

Manchester might have started but it has not spent a billion yet

Neither has York. However, I believe the investment programmes began around the same time, or have at least been in place for several years now.

and the money over 40,000 students is still not much as York in ratio.

You aren't listening, are you? I'm not even going to get into whether we should be looking at this as a total figure, or as spend per student (and whether that makes a difference), but a university can spend x amount of money. How does this mean that the university is certainly going to increase in stature in the manner you have described, especially when many of its peers are also investing a similar amount of money (both in general terms and in spend per student ratio?)

York and Nottingham are broadly comparable as universities, being among our leading institutions. However, Nottingham's economics department is considered stronger, particularly from a research point of view. This does not mean that the OP should go to Nottingham if he has a preference for York (due to course content, location and so on).
I agree that all are prestigious universities with amazing reputation which makes the debate very hard to finish since each have their strong points in some particular ways.

It's gonna be different from comparing these pairs (Nottingham vs Nottingham Trent) , (York vs York St. John) ,(Leeds vs Leeds Met) , (Sheffield vs Sheffield Hallam ) , (Manchester vs Manchester Met) since you'll automatically know which one to go for. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Original post by ssxx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_York#cite_note-UCAS_Tariff-42

Manchester might have started but it has not spent a billion yet, and the money over 40,000 students is still not much as York in ratio.

Exeter now has a drop out rate of 1.7% and is 3rd after Cambridge and Oxford
Reply 78
Original post by Crazyfoolz
For economics specifically, Nottingham probably has the best reputation. Difference isn't huge though, so other factors are probably more important :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Nitrogen
being high up in a league table does not mean that the uni is prestigious. I'd personally say that Nottingham and manchester or probably even leeds is more prestigious, because of their rep and history.

Original post by dahlia1
Definitely York is the most prestigious, but after that, Exeter has an excellent reputation as does Leeds. Manchester, Sheffield and Lancaster also have very good reps but personally I would go with York as a firm and Exeter as insurance if it were viable in your situation.

Original post by ssxx
Oxford has 23,000 students and has better departments than Manchester which has 40,000 students.

I been to Manchester and Leeds, you feel lost among the many students.

Quite curious about where you guys got your opinions from as I've been offered a place to transfer from Nottingham to Leeds to study Management with French and wondering whether to take it? (sorry to derail thread)
Out of those unis York and Sheffield are the best for economics.
Having said that, you should really be taking into account the course and whether it suits you. There's no point going to a uni if the course isn't right for you. You will regret and realise that you could have got more out of your degree by going to another university.
Think carefully also about the lifestyle you'd have in different cities and cost of accommodation and travel. Don't forget a pint is cheaper up north!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending