The Student Room Group

My life is over...

My life is over i have pretty much nothing left to do, this year is my last year at sixth form I'm in year 14... And i just found out that I'm not being entered into some of the exams that i made sure to tell the teachers about.

I'm only doing a applied business exam and a computing Comp 3 exam and it wont help me get my grade any higher then a D/C. I was also retaking my English exam because i got a D in year 11 and i just found out my English teacher didn't enter me in for that exam as well because i did not hand in my work 1-2 hours before. I really don't know what to do im still doing a Btec IT course which I'm doing quite well in also doing CCNA besides it where i get Merits but i cant do anything with one Btec a C in business and a D in computing and also without a C in English GCSE I'm unable to apply for many courses because that is a minimum requirement. I wanted to do computer science at uni but looks like thats not happening so now I'm thinking about becoming a network engineer but every job/course i see whats a C in English could someone please give me advice and sorry this is written poorly I'm not in a good mood.

Thank you
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It sounds like you may need to find a temporary job while you work on your English qualification.
Reply 2
Original post by the bear
It sounds like you may need to find a temporary job while you work on your English qualification.

Yeah i might have to i don't know how to tell my parents they expect so much from me :/ Thanks for the advice
Reply 3
Assuming you're in your first year of sixthform (didnt apply with ucas yet?) you can take the exams in your A2 year and they'll include it in your uni offers.

Original post by Vikki1805

Poorly executed,this isn't a time to troll the poor guy.
Reply 4
Original post by Ilyas
Assuming you're in your first year of sixthform (didnt apply with ucas yet?) you can take the exams in your A2 year and they'll include it in your uni offers.

Poorly executed,this isn't a time to troll the poor guy.

Thanks for the advise man, I'm sadly in my last year im in year 14 so i cant stay another one and i don't really want to stay at this school anymore.

I have also been looking at the foundation years at university and they might be my only chance i applied to university this year for Computer science at Brookes and Essex. Essex though i wouldn't be able to get the grades so they offered me a foundation year but only if i got a C and that's another reason why I'm so upset my English teacher has pretty much ruined my life.
Reply 5
I realised my bad mistake and I removed my message.

TSR were not loving it :sad:

Thanks for posting anyway not really in the mood for trolling and am really passionate for computer science/network engineer I'm not very good at doing tests I'm more of a hands on kind of person. that probably shows through getting high grades in my Btec IT as its all hands on and course work
Reply 6
Original post by Farid Jalil
Thanks for the advise man, I'm sadly in my last year im in year 14 so i cant stay another one and i don't really want to stay at this school anymore.

I have also been looking at the foundation years at university and they might be my only chance i applied to university this year for Computer science at Brookes and Essex. Essex though i wouldn't be able to get the grades so they offered me a foundation year but only if i got a C and that's another reason why I'm so upset my English teacher has pretty much ruined my life.

They can still enter you for the exam. Technicwlly if they have a spare paper they can enter you on the day of the exam, but your school will refuse.

You will need to find a private exam centre where you can pay to sit the exam, it will cost a fair bit, though.

If you can't accomplish this, just take a gap year and ensure you are entered on time that time round. Contact your uni on results day and ask if they can give you a conditional offer (C in english) for 2014 entry, that's worth a shot imo. That way you dont have to apply for UCAS a second time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Ilyas
They can still enter you for the exam. Technicwlly if they have a spare paper they can enter you on the day of the exam, but your school will refuse.

You will need to find a private exam centre where you can pay to sit the exam, it will cost a fair bit, though.

If you can't accomplish this, just take a gap year and ensure you are entered on time that time round. Contact your uni on results day and ask if they can give you a conditional offer (C in english) for 2014 entry, that's worth a shot imo. That way you dont have to apply for UCAS a second time.

Thanks for the advise I'm trying to email the Uni's I'm applying for asking if they would accept me without a English GCSE at a C level but i can do a English course while i study there also they offer foundation years which seem tempting in my situation
Reply 8
you can still enter the exam i think you might have to pay more for it, when is it?
this guy in my school decided the day before the exam that he wanted to do it so he got entered
Reply 9

Without sounding harsh, you're being a little melodramatic about this. What your teacher has done is not fair however its far from the end of your life. I'm 31 and in my 1st year of Uni, you can do a access course and take a GCSE along side it and go as a mature student even though you'll only be a little older than everyone else in the year.
Reply 10
Original post by Shomberlon
Without sounding harsh, you're being a little melodramatic about this. What your teacher has done is not fair however its far from the end of your life. I'm 31 and in my 1st year of Uni, you can do a access course and take a GCSE along side it and go as a mature student even though you'll only be a little older than everyone else in the year.

Yeah i might be panicking a bit too much because everything happened to fast so I'm just in a completely different position that i was in like a few days ago, thank you for your advice. I think i will hopefully be accepted onto a foundation year so i can go through the career pathway that i have wanted for a few years now.

Are you doing a foundation year? if you so how is it going?
(edited 11 years ago)
My life is over i have pretty much nothing left to do, this year is my last year at sixth form I'm in year 14... And i just found out that I'm not being entered into some of the exams that i made sure to tell the teachers about.

I'm only doing a applied business exam and a computing Comp 3 exam and it wont help me get my grade any higher then a D/C. I was also retaking my English exam because i got a D in year 11 and i just found out my English teacher didn't enter me in for that exam as well because i did not hand in my work 1-2 hours before. I really don't know what to do im still doing a Btec IT course which I'm doing quite well in also doing CCNA besides it where i get Merits but i cant do anything with one Btec a C in business and a D in computing and also without a C in English GCSE I'm unable to apply for many courses because that is a minimum requirement. I wanted to do computer science at uni but looks like thats not happening so now I'm thinking about becoming a network engineer but every job/course i see whats a C in English could someone please give me advice and sorry this is written poorly I'm not in a good mood.

Thank you

Your best chance is to get into clearing and apply for Foundation year, Foundation degrees or the full degree in Computing or Computer science. In clearing, the chances are that you would not C in English or Maths because they have loads of places left and might reduce the UCAS points needed to get in.

Leeds Metropolitan only wanted 80 UCAS points for 98 courses including Law, English and Computer Networks.

Its either doing that or take a gap year and do Access to Higher Education level 3 course which is 1 year course aimed to fast track to uni. Its probably £1,000 mark but if you are on Jobseekers allowance than its for free.

I did not get enough UCAS points so I am doing a foundation degree in Computing and if I finish that I can top it up to full degree in Computing or Computer science at my uni.
Good luck.
Reply 12
Original post by Vibenation
Your best chance is to get into clearing and apply for Foundation year, Foundation degrees or the full degree in Computing or Computer science. In clearing, the chances are that you would not C in English or Maths because they have loads of places left and might reduce the UCAS points needed to get in.

Leeds Metropolitan only wanted 80 UCAS points for 98 courses including Law, English and Computer Networks.

Its either doing that or take a gap year and do Access to Higher Education level 3 course which is 1 year course aimed to fast track to uni. Its probably £1,000 mark but if you are on Jobseekers allowance than its for free.

I did not get enough UCAS points so I am doing a foundation degree in Computing and if I finish that I can top it up to full degree in Computing or Computer science at my uni.
Good luck.

Thanks you for the advise really appreciate it, How is your foundation course going? and what uni are you doing it at?
Reply 13
Original post by Shomberlon

This basically. I am coming up to 28 and just finishing my PhD, however, I finished school at 16 and was working full time for the next five years. It was only after that that I went back to university. You don't have to do everything straight away when you are 18 - there are many paths in life.

Thank you

have u asked the careers office for advice?
It's not a great situation to be in but it's hardly the end of your life. There is some good advice in this thread which can help you very well.
Don't wallow or think that you'll never recover from this, or it will be the case.
Reply 16
If your thinking about going to network engineering with btec's then you will have ferice competition from uni grads, which you won't stand a chance. You can always repeat college if you pay for it and go to uni, or you could take up an apprenticship.
Reply 17
Thanks you everyone for the amazing advise you have given be hope! thank you for giving me some of your time!
I realised my bad mistake and I removed my message.

TSR were not loving it :sad:

Shame on you. We are talking about someones life here......

I think you and I will have to re-evaluate your existence. * Angry stare *
Original post by JamesNeedHelp2
Shame on you. We are talking about someones life here......

I think you and I will have to re-evaluate your existence. * Angry stare *

:mmm: Hi James.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending