The Student Room Group

Medical law Q PLEASE HELP!

'An embryo or foetus is not recognised as a legal person in this country, yet it is protected by law in some respects.' Critically discuss. Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply 1
Original post by Abbas_Persia
'An embryo or foetus is not recognised as a legal person in this country, yet it is protected by law in some respects.' Critically discuss. Thanks in advance for your help.

what is your thoughts? what have u been taught?
I think the case Evans v Uk (2008) said they embryo has no legal rights. it is about a woman and man who have embryos frozen as the woman had some illness (cancer i think) which would destroy all of these. The embryos were frozen for 5 years i think and then the couple split up and the man asked the Human Fertilisation Authority to discard them but the woman claimed this was wrong and that they had a legal right... this case established that they didnt and they were destroyed.

Id double check this is exactly what happened before relying on it but i vaguely remember this.

An example of where an fetus is protected is where abortion is illegal after 24 weeks unless medically justified.

Quick Reply

Latest