The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Would You Ever Accept A Muslim UK Prime Minister?

Scroll to see replies

I would never accept a leader who is religious in any way. Even if his policies are secular, the fact that he has any type of religious beliefs at all mean to me that he's not the smartest he could be.
Original post by Steevee
Muslims are required to believe the Quran is the literal word of God. The majority still believe they are required to pray 5 times daily etc. When comapred to Christianity, Islam is a fundamentalist religion. It's not a criticsm in and of itself, don't be so defensive.

I have nothing to be defensive about, seeing as I am an atheist myself. What I'm doing is refuting the inaccurate and sweeping judgements you're making about Islam. I am also trying to make you see that, just as there are many sects with differing beliefs and positions on the extremism scale within Christianity, the same exists for Islam (something which I understand is not commonly known). I also think you are confusing how closely people follow a religion with the nature of the religion itself. A large proportion of people of a particular faith not being religious does not make the religion itself any less "fundamentalist". There is still a set of rules and principles to abide by in the Bible, just as there is in the Quran. Would you not agree?

Back to the original point, which was the ludicrous comparison of a Muslim to a radical Christian: there is no justifiable reason to assume that a practicing Muslim would want to radically overhaul any policies or laws according to their own beliefs, in the way that a radical of any faith might.
Original post by HumanSupremacist
Would you ever accept a Muslim UK Prime Minister?

Similarly, would you ever accept a radical Christian UK Prime Minister?

(Emphasis on the radical for the latter PM.)

Thoughts?

P.S.
Note that this Muslim PM could be of any ethnicity.

No in that instant I think I would be a martyr.
Reply 103
Faith doesn't matter, leadership qualities do. As long as leaders don't bring their personal faith into their policies and are logical then what's the problem? It's the same as asking would you elect a radical liberal, or radical conservative, radicalism is seen through all ideologies, not only religion. So why single out faiths?
Reply 104
Original post by Steevee
Because Islam is a fundamentalist religion, whereas the vast majority of Christians in Britain are Baptist, Lutheran, Anglican etc which are reasonably progressive parts of Christianity, and even a lot of the Catholics are reasonably progressive.

No it's not. If you actually bothered to look up the definition of 'fundamentalist', you would find it's a literal way of interpreting the Quran or any holy book for that matter - so really it could be applied to any religion and you've used it in the wrong context by labelling a whole religions to be as such. With the amount of scholars there are, there are many ways which have been discovered of interpreting the Quran.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do we really need Sharia Law in this country - I think not, if you want to live under a Muslim prime minister/president try somewhere else just not here for he or she to put over religion into our law and way of life.
Reply 106
If we allow Muslims to live here/be citizens then should they not have the same rights as everyone else. Ie become primeinister.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes why not.
Reply 108
Original post by JCC-MGS
Don't mind a person of any faith taking office, wouldn't want a radical of any faith taking office

This^. I like how OP had "Muslim" equated to "radical Christian". Bravo, such are the mind games of some TSRians.
Reply 109
Original post by Dragonfly07
I would never accept a leader who is religious in any way. Even if his policies are secular, the fact that he has any type of religious beliefs at all mean to me that he's not the smartest he could be.

Was not David Cameron quoting the Bible at Maggie Thatcher's funeral? I'm sure I did here something on the news. Also, I read that he quoted the Bible last Christmas.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 110
I don't want anyone religious as prime minister if they're going to project those views onto the laws they pass, but if I agreed with their policies then yes (although I don't think that's very likely).
Reply 111
Original post by dannydoy
If we allow Muslims to live here/be citizens then should they not have the same rights as everyone else. Ie become primeinister.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:wtf:
Reply 112
Please can you explain your post

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ash92:)
Was not David Cameron quoting the Bible at Maggie Thatcher's funeral? I'm sure I did here something on the news. Also, I read that he quoted the Bible last Christmas.

Why do you think I like David Cameron?

Also it's a sad fact that some politicians have to pretend to be somewhat religious in order to be respected. I wish it wasn't like that.
Absolutely not.
Why Muslim vs radical Christian?

So long as they're a moderate that doesn't allow their religion to interfere with the job I don't really care. We haven't really had a zealous religious PM since... I don't even know when. Plenty of stupid irreligous people out there anyway.
Reply 116
Original post by Dragonfly07
Why do you think I like David Cameron?

Also it's a sad fact that some politicians have to pretend to be somewhat religious in order to be respected. I wish it wasn't like that.

Fair point, lol. It's just the way you said it, "I would never accept leader who is religious" - kind of hints rebellion...like, formal rebellion :laugh:

We can't really have the pleasure of "accepting" a PM or not, we just have to deal with it. But if it is simply that you do not like him (who does? he screwed up my career after uni with his funding cuts :colonhash:), then that is fair enough.
Reply 117
Original post by consumed by stuff
Sexuality and the freedom of women are just two heads of the same dragon. They are both sections of society that have found human rights slot later than is acceptable. In associety that doesn't accept homosexuality because of religion or cultural gender roles. It will never fully accept women as equal.
No they have nothing to do with each other. Who you choose to partner with has nothing to do with treating women equally. Why would you conflate the two? Anyhow, how do you know what "equal" really is? Women and men are not the same. They are different, biologically, mentally, physically, emotionally, the responsibilities that they have are different to a man's. Who is the one that defines what is equal, taking into account all of these differences between them, taking into account what their nature is.
Reply 118
Original post by thesabbath
If the UK demographics continue along their current trends then it is inevitable there will be one anyway, in the next few decades, as the UK will be majority Muslim. I myself would not accept a Muslim prime minister, just like I will not accept the ongoing Islamification of this country. This is of course all thanks to the left, who are content to continuously attack Christianity in the name of being above religion while simultaneously permitting Islam to spread unfettered and uncriticised and not seeing any hint of hypocrisy in this stance. They think that religion is an outdated concept, but the Islamic religion and its followers will in time destroy the West (and everything they believe in) and they choose to ignore this because it conflicts with their "diversity" championing worldview.
Lol, destroy the west how? your making all these claims with no explanation lol. What exactly, will they do that will destroy the west? Muslims are only about 1.6 million in the UK. That's hardly a lot in comparison to the amount of people here.
Reply 119
Original post by HumanSupremacist
Tony Blair was Christian - you do know this, right? Personally, that is what politics is all about - many, if not most, politicians lie and cheat or at least, acts close to this. Ergo, I would venture to say that politics and religion would not mix well, especially being the leader of a mostly secular nation. How would a Christian person deal with the hard issues that would be asked of a leader? What about war? What about benefits issues and whatnot? Our current PM is supposedly Christian (but aren't they all anyway?)?
I already said that, but someone said that he was christian after and not during his leadership. Secondly, just because someone says they are christian does not make them a christian, to be a christian you have to have the fear of God and follow jesus. Acting against what God says is morally correct e.g starting wars? Is not a christian.

Latest

Trending

Trending