The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

anyone with two braincells can get decent GCSE grades, a proper academic for example a PHD student is going to be intelligent.
Original post by blue n white army
anyone with two braincells can get decent GCSE grades, a proper academic for example a PHD student is going to be intelligent.

u r 1 cheeky......
Reply 3
People tend to perceive and praise intelligence as something that they lack themselves or fail to comprehend. If you're particularly good at a certain subject then you are likely to be stigmatized as intelligent by someone who isn't so good at it. So assumably if you are good in an academia, you likely to be perceived as intelligent by someone who isn't.
Reply 4
I agree completely. I am studying veterinary medicine, which is a pretty decent achievement academically to get on to, but to be honest that doesn't really make me particularly intelligent. it saddens me a bit when I have friends putting themselves down and saying I am smarter just because they have not done as well academically, when I actually consider them smarter than half the people on my course in many ways.
Reply 5
I think academic attainment is definitely an indicator of intelligence, certainly once at A level or higher standard, but it certainly isn't the only one. I know some very in-tune people who didn't go to university and some very stupid ones who did.
Reply 6
in the realms of actual acadamia, the academics working in universitys. Their jobs entail that they have to be fast learners, to learn the current new information and discoveries linked to their field of study. They have to be creative to come up with clevers tests and/or ideas to come up with hypotheses. and will have to have intellectual rigour. and motivation to actually study long enough to get into their positions.

these are all traits of intelligence to say that acadamia is not equal to intelligence is abit off in the respect for actual acadamia.

probably what you should have said is..

high test scores =/= ability to be a succesful academic
Reply 7
Original post by upthegunners
People who base intelligence on academia alone really irritate me

I would say I am relatively academic .. I got 7 A*/A and 3B at GCSE..with little effort.

However, I would not say that this bares any relevance towards my intelligence level.

Someone has actually said to be "wow, you're smart" as I recalled a long definition in Chemistry- word perfect.

I was actually annoyed at the remark. I the fact that someone based my intelligence on my ability to remember a definition...I could have easily not learned that definition the night before and I would have most likely been viewed as stupid?

I don't see the logic

Do you?

Academia =/==/= Intelligence

first of all academia is being in the wrong word.

In academia, you really do have to being intelligent (the intelligent you are talking about) to be successful in research.

The less 'intelligent' successful people in academia are more successful in non research based: teaching, administration, directing, etc.

(i am not saying these people are stupid, they being very very smart, but the 'intelligence' you are talking about i.e the ability of creative, original, intuitive and non-guided thinking, is what can catapulting you in research)

You are talking about pre-level 8 education, which is being very different.

the system of education in this country is base on learning and recalling known information and basic skill development, all the way until level 8.

You can being good at this stuff, but is disputable if you calling this intelligence.

To my personal opinion, i do not like ascribing this to the term intelligence, i using the term for bold

But people is use the term interchangeable between the two.

I would say I am relatively academic .. I got 7 A*/A and 3B at GCSE..with little effort.

However, I would not say that this bares any relevance towards my intelligence level.

Someone has actually said to be "wow, you're smart" as I recalled a long definition in Chemistry- word perfect.

I was actually annoyed at the remark. I the fact that someone based my intelligence on my ability to remember a definition...I could have easily not learned that definition the night before and I would have most likely been viewed as stupid?

I don't see the logic

Do you?

I didn't take the GCSE so I don't know the scoring system, sorry :s-smilie:
I took the IB Diploma Programme which is just as complicated to me.

But anyway, I don't believe academic excellence justifies the intelligence of a person. Same goes with IQ. Unfortunately, the social paradigm here (yes, SE Asia), is that the "better" the academic degree someone obtains, the more likely he/she will succeed in their career paths. For example, business and/or medicine, PhD and Doctorates.

My mum, for example, is always nagging about my GPA in university. I'm taking Visual Communication and Design, and I don't believe that the best GPAs indicates the most artistic people. On the other hand, my boyfriend barely passed his GCSEs (mainly because he was a lazy bum) and still managed to finish Arts & Design in college earlier than the rest of the student body.
Reply 9
Original post by Mullah.S
first of all academia is being in the wrong word.

In academia, you really do have to being intelligent (the intelligent you are talking about) to be successful in research.

The less 'intelligent' successful people in academia are more successful in non research based: teaching, administration, directing, etc.

(i am not saying these people are stupid, they being very very smart, but the 'intelligence' you are talking about i.e the ability of creative, original, intuitive and non-guided thinking, is what can catapulting you in research)

You are talking about pre-level 8 education, which is being very different.

the system of education in this country is base on learning and recalling known information and basic skill development, all the way until level 8.

You can being good at this stuff, but is disputable if you calling this intelligence.

To my personal opinion, i do not like ascribing this to the term intelligence, i using the term for bold

But people is use the term interchangeable between the two.

Hello again troll, I thought you'd come back to lurk here.
Reply 10
Hello again troll, I thought you'd come back to lurk here.

How is trolling?
How is trolling?

I don't how trolling is, presumably you know?
Reply 12
I don't how trolling is, presumably you know?

how is my post trolling?
how is my post trolling?

I do not need to explain myself. The evidence is overwhelming.
There's a difference between being book smart and street smart.
Reply 15
Yep I agree, it doesn't necessarily mean that your intelligent. I know people with fantastic grades at GCSE then at A level they get such rubbish grades (like D,E,Us). So yeah, everything depends on effort, anyone can be academic but not everyone needs to intelligent to get good grades.
You can argue this all day but academics will get you further in life than just intelligence.
Reply 17
I do not need to explain myself. The evidence is overwhelming.

My post is not troll.

Original post by areebmazhar
You can argue this all day but academics will get you further in life than just intelligence.

this is also being very true

I don't see the logic

Do you?

What I've highlighted in bold refers to you probably being smarter than most. The fact that you find it easy to remember information is very different to a lot of other people who had to revise a lot harder (longer) in their GCSE's to achieve the same grade.

Person A takes half an hour to memorize a passage of information.
Person B takes an hour to memorize a passage of information.

Would you not call A smarter because he has done it in a shorter amount of time? It does not mean that B will never do it, it just might taken him longer.

And yes, I refer to 'memorizing information' as part of GCSE. Because that's what GCSEs are, not 'academic' as you have defined it.

Intelligence, in my opinion, will arise at university level. And those who study further to do PHDs etc. It refers to people who make their own discoveries and are able to 'think'. Let's be honest, is there a lot of thinking done at GCSEs?
There are people who don't perform well academically for all sorts of reasons whether it be getting bullied,family problems or just too damn lazy, it really has nothing to do with intelligence.

Latest