The Student Room Group

How did Nando's become so popular?

A few years ago i'd never heard of them. I remember seeing the restaurant in my local leisure centre but i'd never been in it. Then all of a sudden everyone was talking about it and fussing over it- yet i've never seen a TV advert for it.

So how did it suddenly become so popular?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Spicy chicken ofcourse!
Reply 2
Original post by Black Cat
Spicy chicken ofcourse!

Well i'm sure they didn't just put spicy chicken on the menu and it spread by word of mouth so quickly...?
from take me out I think
Reply 4
KFC do the advertising for them, then once people are thinking "Oh, I'd quite like some chicken" and have heard that Nando's are far superior to KFC, they go there instead.

Edit: Oops, I appear to have upset the KFC fans.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
The sauce.
Reply 6
Original post by Runninground
... yet i've never seen a TV advert for it.

You, Sir, missed the best of Nando's :biggrin:

[video="youtube;PYnL5oUePM8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYnL5oUePM8[/video]
Reply 7
I really have no idea cause its so over-rated its unbelievable!
Because everybody loves mediocrity! :awesome:

Honestly, I've never been impressed with their offerings.
Original post by Runninground
Well i'm sure they didn't just put spicy chicken on the menu and it spread by word of mouth so quickly...?

quite certain this is the case. Although, it's not really 'that quickly' even before i lived in London i'd eaten it (so like 10 years ago) and its a very big deal in London
Reply 10
Original post by mikeyd85
Because everybody loves mediocrity! :awesome:

Honestly, I've never been impressed with their offerings.

Nah, it's because we're quintessentially British, and like queuing for Nando's for 30 minutes just to get a table.

Crazy.
I wish it hadn't, when it became famous they put everything on the menu up by about 3 quid. It became famous because of the infamous black card (which gives you unlimited free Nandos) they give to celebrities who like nandos. Now Z list celebrities (and for some reason a couple of A list ones who could afford unlimited Nandos regardless) name drop Nandos in interviews and tweets like mad in the hope of being given the black card. Some people reckon the black card doesn't even exist, but Nandos are hardly going to deny it's existence when it gets them free publicity.
Reply 12
Original post by tooambitious
quite certain this is the case. Although, it's not really 'that quickly' even before i lived in London i'd eaten it (so like 10 years ago) and its a very big deal in London

Yes, it's all organic growth.
Reply 13
This rendition did it a favour I reckon

[video="youtube;DussnqvJy1g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DussnqvJy1g[/video]
Original post by tehforum
Nah, it's because we're quintessentially British, and like queuing for Nando's for 30 minutes just to get a table.

Crazy.

PRSOM.
Reply 15
Cause their creamy mash is amazing!
I don't really get it either, granted I've only been once but it was distinctly unimpressive. The sauce was far too over-spiced and thus lacked any real flavour whilst the chicken was just...average and in addition it's exorbitantly expensive for what it is.

But it appears to have a substantial online and word-of-mouth presence so maybe I just had a bad experience. For now though I will stick with Indian restaurants which are much cheaper and far more flavourful.
Reply 17
Nandos is actually world wide. It's all over africa in Australia, part of europe and the UK
I known about it since 2000 lol, the Chicken's Great!! ant the bottom less drinks :smile:
Russell Howard.

"THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE A NANDO'S!"
Original post by tehforum
Yes, it's all organic growth.

Assuming sarcasm. I haven't seen any new Nandos built near me in two years or so. The black card came out last year. I seriously doubt that is the reason for its popularity. Likewise with twitter. If anything, the Nandos hype has quietened down for me...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest