The Student Room Group

Tips for your first day in a new graduate job...

Many of you will be starting a new job soon, so let me share five top tips from a new ACA student who very recently got through his first day

and don’t forget - nerves are perfectly normal, you’re just like a million others starting work!

Most importantly, make sure you’re well rested ahead of the first day! First impressions count, so don’t have a ‘wild’ night out the day before you start work. If you’ve not been to the work address before, you could test out the route to work. Allow for enough time to get to work rush hour on the tube is very different from two o’clock in the afternoon!

If you’re worried about how to dress think smart and you won’t go wrong. The accountancy and professional services sector can be pretty formal!

So, you’re now in the office waiting to start this job you’ve earned. An important tip is to take notes! Make sure you have a pen and some paper although it might be provided, be sure to have some in-case and take notes of important things you’re expected to remember!

You’re likely to have some sort of induction activities, or for those joining smaller firms, there will be some form of ‘Welcoming Event’. Make use of these to the fullest. It is the best opportunity to ask questions.

Ask questions - remember you are new to the job, everyone around you is aware of that, and in most cases, you’re not expected to know anything at all, so don’t feel embarrassed about asking questions about absolutely anything. Above all, be confident in your ability you’ve earned the right to be there!

If you’ve got any tips about your first day at work, let us know!

Scroll to see replies

I don't have tips but I have a question- What kind of work are you likely to do on your first proper day?

I am starting in a few months but my actual training doesn't start till september. What kind of things do you think I may do during the months without any training?
Reply 2
Original post by Runninground
I don't have tips but I have a question- What kind of work are you likely to do on your first proper day?

I am starting in a few months but my actual training doesn't start till september. What kind of things do you think I may do during the months without any training?

Your training will start the first day you're on a client. You learn the job by doing it, not in college :tongue:

Hi there

You'll be doing a variety of things that will get you up to speed with the job, some menial, but important background, as well as higher level stuff such as attending client meetings with more senior colleagues to learn the ropes. An important thing to remember is not to judge any job as beneath you, if you are given something that is a bit boring for example, and you may do in your first few months, a positive attitude will get you noticed!

Louise
Reply 4
Are bold pin stripe shirts a big no-no?
I've had some people tell me that you should always wear white or a light blue in a trainee accountancy role.
Original post by Lily_2012
I've had some people tell me that you should always wear white or a light blue in a trainee accountancy role.

Hi Lily

I'd go for something muted first, then see what the general dress code is like around work - then you can see if bold works!

Louise
I'd actually say the opposite... wear you what you want to start off with (within reason, i.e. no bow ties etc.) so they know the score straight away, if people make comments then you can always tone it down. If you start off as a plane Jane, people will find it strange when you suddenly start wearing 3-piece suits, fancy shirts etc. and will more than likely take the piss or think you're trying too hard.
Wearing a tie that matches the colour of the firm's logo/brand is also popular apparently, e.g. purple at GT, blue at Deloitte, black or yellow at EY etc. Don't know if that was a wind up but apparently its a subtle indicator that you're buying into the values of the firm :smile:
Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin
Wearing a tie that matches the colour of the firm's logo/brand is also popular apparently, e.g. purple at GT, blue at Deloitte, black or yellow at EY etc. Don't know if that was a wind up but apparently its a subtle indicator that you're buying into the values of the firm :smile:

Please don't do this. By all means wear the colour if you like it but not because it's on-brand.
Original post by Tokyoround
I'd actually say the opposite... wear you what you want to start off with (within reason, i.e. no bow ties etc.) so they know the score straight away, if people make comments then you can always tone it down. If you start off as a plane Jane, people will find it strange when you suddenly start wearing 3-piece suits, fancy shirts etc. and will more than likely take the piss or think you're trying too hard.

Agreed. I like sharp tailoring and three piece suits and it gets me noticed, but I don't wear because I like to be noticed, I wear because I like and am comfortable in them. It's good to show an element of your personality and that you take pride in your appearance, just keep it within the confines of professional taste, especially when at a client. Conformity is dull.

Original post by Brotherhood
Agreed. I like sharp tailoring and three piece suits and it gets me noticed, but I don't wear because I like to be noticed, I wear because I like and am comfortable in them. It's good to show an element of your personality and that you take pride in your appearance, just keep it within the confines of professional taste, especially when at a client. Conformity is dull.

By three-piece I assume you mean waistcoats? I have waistcoats with my nicest suits but always wary of wearing them to work in case of piss taking or accusations of overdressing (considering many firms say ties are optional now). What do you think about wearing them, with or without "less plain" shirt/tie combos like pinstripes or something more jazzy?
Reply 11
Original post by Lily_2012

I've never heard such rubbish.

Dark blue is also perfectly acceptable :smile:
By three-piece I assume you mean waistcoats? I have waistcoats with my nicest suits but always wary of wearing them to work in case of piss taking or accusations of overdressing (considering many firms say ties are optional now). What do you think about wearing them, with or without "less plain" shirt/tie combos like pinstripes or something more jazzy?

Yes, waistcoats. Why do you care about what other people think?

I generally only wear white shirts, occasionally sky blue, rarely pink and always plain. Ties are only optional in the office, you would always wear a tie at a client. Nobody cares what you wear, as long as you are dressed professionally. I don't know what you mean by jazzy, I tend to go for tasteful and understated but we're straying into fashion now and away from accountancy.

i.e.

Reply 13

Hahahaha, what?!

If you like it, do it. But as said, best to let them see your eccentric streak early, otherwise you will have the piss taken out of you. I feel comfortable wearing whatever I like now because people have come to expect it and wouldn't bat an eyelid. Though I do get the occasional "are you going for a job interview" from our resourcing guy, but he's just winding me up.
Do you wear the same suit each day? If so, how long do you go with the same suit? (Before everyone thinks you're a tramp who doesn't wash)
Do you wear the same suit each day? If so, how long do you go with the same suit? (Before everyone thinks you're a tramp who doesn't wash)

On placement I swapped most days pretty much, especially when at a client
If you like it, do it. But as said, best to let them see your eccentric streak early, otherwise you will have the piss taken out of you. I feel comfortable wearing whatever I like now because people have come to expect it and wouldn't bat an eyelid. Though I do get the occasional "are you going for a job interview" from our resourcing guy, but he's just winding me up.

That's the problem, don't want to be 'marked' early as 'eccentric' or similar. Could be better to blend into the crowd etc?
Original post by DaneCook
Hahahaha, what?!

A slight wind-up admittedly but I genuinly have heard people say this (and people remarked on it on placement, i.e. "ooh wearing the GT purple today I see" or whatever :smile:

Don't wear the same suit two days running. It's unhygienic and you will ruin the trousers. You need to air them out daily.
Original post by Brotherhood
Don't wear the same suit two days running. It's unhygienic and you will ruin the trousers. You need to air them out daily.

Do you wear a waistcoat then? Do people comment or not? Or isn't that what you meant by 3-piece suits?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending