The Student Room Group

Maths Remark

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had a Maths remark and how many marks higher/lower/or the same they recieved.

Original post by EvasiveRose
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had a Maths remark and how many marks higher/lower/or the same they recieved.

Maths remarks usually come back unchanged. Rarely, they might change by one or two marks.
Hi,

A couple friends of mine got C1 remarked, I don't believe that there were any differences. The marking criteria is very strict it's not subjective like essay based subjects where you can gain 6 marks depending on the examiner.

As for me, I've never remarked a module, maths or otherwise.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr M
Maths remarks usually come back unchanged. Rarely, they might change by one or two marks.

So if I missed a grade by 3 marks would it be better to do a re-sit as opposed to having my paper remarked?
Reply 4
Original post by reubenkinara
A couple friends of mine got C1 remarked, I don't believe that there were any differences. The marking criteria is very strict it's not subjective like essay based subjects where you can gain 6 marks depending on the examiner.

As for me, I've never remarked a module, maths or otherwise.

Thanks for the answer:smile:
So if I missed a grade by 3 marks would it be better to do a re-sit as opposed to having my paper remarked?

I don't think your remark would be successful.
Resit > Remark when it comes to Maths

USING THE TSR APP

You could get the photocopy back and if you see any possible extra marks, get it remarked but a resit would probably be more effective.
Reply 8
my teacher asked for a C1 paper back and let me look at it and there were definitely at least 3/4 marks that should have been given, but its probably unlikely in most cases, i guess this case was special because he used scalar product to get an answer (which was correct) which is in C4 and the marker didn't take that into consideration and assumed it was just wrong.
From experience on a GCSE paper 3-4 marks tops over the 200 on offer.
By the same token often going through a paper you find yourself saying "hang on a moment they were lucky to get that!!"
Swings and roundabouts a lot of the time.
I know for some schools anything close to the C/D boundary will get the "hit and hope" approach.
Reply 10
Original post by Mr M
I don't think your remark would be successful.

I'm assuming your a maths teacher:colondollar: so... if I've already got an A in maths do you think its worth trying for an A* and going to maths lessons or revising for other subjects instead? (an unbiased opinion wanted)
I'm assuming your a maths teacher:colondollar: so... if I've already got an A in maths do you think its worth trying for an A* and going to maths lessons or revising for other subjects instead? (an unbiased opinion wanted)

I have no idea what your plans are for the future. If you don't intend to study maths post 16 and don't intend to apply to Oxford or Cambridge an A will probably be fine.
Reply 12
got my foundation gcse maths paper remarked first time went up 1 mark, and then second time no marks. The thing about maths is answers are definite, there is an answer at the end of the tunnel unlike other subjects
Reply 13
Original post by Mr M
I have no idea what your plans are for the future. If you don't intend to study maths post 16 and don't intend to apply to Oxford or Cambridge an A will probably be fine.

I intend to study Maths at A-Level and would like to apply to 'Cambridge' and other universities that I take a shine too. So would a re-sit be the best option?
Reply 14
I intend to study Maths at A-Level and would like to apply to 'Cambridge' and other universities that I take a shine too. So would a re-sit be the best option?

For what course? Cambridge don't care THAT much about gcses

''With the exception of those for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (grade C or above in GCSE Double Award Science and Mathematics), there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge, and there is no minimum number of A* grades required for any of our courses.

Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the school/college performance and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE.''

Source:http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/requirements/thefacts.html

For the record I'm doing maths and fm at alevel with a B at gcse, GCSE isn't that good of an indicator of success at alevel
(edited 11 years ago)

I would say yes if you don't have to pay for it. If you have to pay then you might decide it isn't worthwhile.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16

It's purely down to you, but I would say that it's not essential that you get an A* at GCSE for Uni maths - Cambridge will place far more emphasis on outstanding AS and A level grades (as well as the STEP entrance exam), as will most universities.

It might only be an issue if your school had some restrictive rule that said you could only do A level Maths or Further Maths if you had achieved A* at GCSE.
Reply 17
Thanks for the comments everyone:smile:
I think I might just have another crack at the exam one last time, so I'll have no regrets or 'what if' questions nagging me
I got a GCSE Maths remarks and went up 11 UMS
Reply 19
Got a C3 remark that went up by 4 raw marks/6 UMS. Still gutted that they won't refund me for their mistake:/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending