The Student Room Group

deVere Group - Scam or Not?

Hello all,

I have been invited to one of the deVere group meetings coming up, after I submitted an application not too long ago.

I am a bit skeptical of the company, I have now read a lot of bad things and am not sure if I should to trust it or not.

The company has been established for 10 years and is doing well, so I would assume, they are quite a good company, and there staff must be good at what they do.

Then I read lots of stories saying avoid them at all costs.

Now I see it two ways, these are people hired to talk badly of the company, or people who had a bad experience.

There are obviously people working at deVere now, and these people may love their job, but it would seem more normal for people with bad experiences to moan about the company, and the people with good experiences aren't exactly going to come online and start talking about how wonderful it is.

They have to be doing something right to be so successful, but what are all the negative stories about really?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
There's a thread about them further down including people that have been to the meetings http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2293684
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by daindian
There's a thread about them further down including people that have been to the meetings http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2293684

Thanks.

I read it, but the same kind of questions I have, have not really been answered in that thread.
Reply 3
They say they pay your travel and accommodation for training?

Has anyone actually been on the training course?
Reply 4
Hello all,

Did anyone attend yesterday's graduate meeting at the Hilton Hotel in Heathrow?

What did you think of it? A bit strange a man giving a presentation who doesn't know the answers to most questions, and gives estimated figures every now and then which never seem to be the same as what he originally said.

Some of it sounds good, but is it too good to be true?

Any thoughts?
Reply 5
DeVere Group has today published a completely unattribyted "news" story on their website claiming that relatives of passengers on the missing MH370 flight had successfully called the passengers phones and had them hung up.
https://www.devere-group.com/news/missing-malaysia-airlines-passengers-phones-ring-but-no-answer.aspx

Quite what "Market" this news affects or why it should be on an market analysts site at all is beyond me.

The story has no by line and no cites no reputable news agency.
It lists a few unidentified relatives who have made these calls and then says
"Relatives of the passengers are urging the authorities to search for the location of phones that rang using GPS."
The brains trust at DeVeres seems unaware that GPS cannot be used to track a lost phone (it enables a phone to track its own location) and that the network of the HLR of any mobile network must have the location of a phone before it can route a call to it. So if the phones were ringing, the Chinese authorities would easily identify what country they were in and stop wasting tonnes fo aircraft fuel.

This is a bogus story used in a scurrilous attempt to draw traffic to their site and get followers.
The tactics of this outfit would lead me to distrust every item of information fom their website.
It stinks
Reply 6
Original post by JinnyP
DeVere Group has today published a completely unattribyted "news" story on their website claiming that relatives of passengers on the missing MH370 flight had successfully called the passengers phones and had them hung up.
https://www.devere-group.com/news/missing-malaysia-airlines-passengers-phones-ring-but-no-answer.aspx

Quite what "Market" this news affects or why it should be on an market analysts site at all is beyond me.

The story has no by line and no cites no reputable news agency.
It lists a few unidentified relatives who have made these calls and then says
"Relatives of the passengers are urging the authorities to search for the location of phones that rang using GPS."

The brains trust at DeVeres seems unaware that GPS cannot be used to track a lost phone (it enables a phone to track its own location) and that the network of the HLR of any mobile network must have the location of a phone before it can route a call to it. So if the phones were ringing, the Chinese authorities would easily identify what country they were in and stop wasting tonnes fo aircraft fuel.

This is a bogus story used in a scurrilous attempt to draw traffic to their site and get followers.
The tactics of this outfit would lead me to distrust every item of information fom their website.
It stinks

This is the most hilarious comment ever - do you not have anything better to do with yourself? Do you think Nigel Green and a team of Monkeys sit there a think up "Bogus" news stories in an attempt to draw people into their website - a website for the largest financial advisory in the world?

Just hilarious.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Millz24
This is the most hilarious comment ever - do you not have anything better to do with yourself? Do you think Nigel Green and a team of Monkeys sit there a think up "Bogus" news stories in an attempt to draw people into their website - a website for the largest financial advisory in the world?

Just hilarious.

You should ask for a pay rise. Disciple with blind faith lol
they do nt
Reply 9
Its not the largest. Wont even figure in the top 250. It claims to have 10Bn total investment, Merryl Linch top 1 advisor got 25Bn newtworh in his portfolio all alone. Leads me to think the company is a scam.
Reply 10
Avoid avoid avoid! Awful ethics the way they treat people, who do they think they are? Wealthy giants no F’s given about real issues taking place in the office!
Reply 11
The sales people of DeVere are of the same standard as those selling shoe cream......my apologies if shoe cream sellers feel offended!
Reply 12
While I acknowledge that these posts may be dated, I wish to share my recent experience following an interview with Devere Group London Limited, now operating as Devere London Limited, although the correspondence I received was under the name Devere Group. It has come to my attention that the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) in the UK has raised concerns regarding potential impersonation by Devere Group of the legitimate company DeVere and Partners (UK) Limited. A cursory online search reveals clear distinctions between these two entities, including divergent websites.

During the interview process, I was informed that Devere Group managed assets exceeding £1 billion. However, a brief investigation on Company Checker suggests a significantly lower figure, just above £1 million. This variance raises legitimate concerns.

Furthermore, the interview suggested potential relocation to either Porto, Portugal, or Mexico City. While I remain open to the possibility that my apprehensions are unfounded, I would greatly appreciate substantiating evidence for the claims made during the interview. For the time being, I exercise caution and advise others to do the same.

As a recent university graduate, I understand the challenges of securing employment and the temptation to seize opportunities hastily. However, it is paramount to exercise prudence when presented with prospects that appear overly promising, as they may conceal risks. Caution is advised in navigating these waters.

(BTW I may or may not have put my original text through Chat GPT to make it sound a bit more professional and easier to read as whatever I wrote originally was a mess)

Quick Reply

Latest