The Student Room Group

ammonia

(ii) Explain with the aid of equations, why ammonia NH3 is considered a weak base while potassium hydroxide is a strong base under aqueous conditions. (3 marks)

not sure how to tackle this question for 3 marks
Reply 1
Original post by otrivine
(ii) Explain with the aid of equations, why ammonia NH3 is considered a weak base while potassium hydroxide is a strong base under aqueous conditions. (3 marks)

NH3 partially ionizes whilst the NaOH completely dissociates. So for the question I would write out the equations to show this.

I would write it out the equations but it is kind of hard doing it on my phone :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2

weak bases are a bit like weak acids, there is only partial dissociation of the acid. In this example of NH3 it is dissolved in water. The acid is the H20

NH3+ H20 <---> NH4+ + OH-

Strong bases like KOH dissociate fully, like strong acids

KOH-----> K+ + OH-

Any questions?

EDIT: The weak base will produce significantly less OH- ions
Reply 3
Original post by freetown
NH3 partially dissociates whilst the NaOH completely dissociates. So for the question I would write out the equations to show this.

I would write it out the equations but it is kind of hard doing it on my phone :tongue:

but the idea of partially and completely comes from weak and strong acids right?
but the idea of partially and completely comes from weak and strong acids right?

You can apply that logic to bases too :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Booyah
weak bases are a bit like weak acids, there is only partial dissociation of the acid. In this example of NH3 it is dissolved in water. The acid is the H20

NH3+ H20 <---> NH4+ + OH-

Strong bases like KOH dissociate fully, like strong acids

KOH-----> K+ + OH-

Any questions?

EDIT: The weak base will produce significantly less OH- ions

so for 3 marks

should i state NH3 is a weak base as it partially dissociates to give OH- and KOH is strong base because completely dissociates to form OH-

and for equations should i give the example with NH3 reacting with water to give NH4+ and OH-

and the KOH dissociating to give K+ + OH-
Reply 6
Original post by James A
You can apply that logic to bases too :wink:

Thank you, where have u been for so long
Thank you, where have u been for so long

I've been around :wink:

But I got banned twice, loooooooool
Reply 8
Write the equation for a weak base as an equilibrium and for a strong base as going to completion.
Reply 9
Original post by freetown
NH3 partially dissociates whilst the NaOH completely dissociates. So for the question I would write out the equations to show this.

NH3 does not dissociate!! (Well it does, but there is one molecule of NH2- for every ~1035 molecules of NH3)

NH3 is a weak base because the equilibrium for the following equation lies towards the left.

NH3 + H2O <--> NH4+ + HO-

NaOH dissociates fully into Na+ ions and HO- ions

HO- is a strong base because the equilibrium for the following reaction is in the middle. (well I don't like this wording but I guess A levels want bases put into the context of formation of HO- ions rather than pKa)

HO- + H2O <--> H2O + HO-
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by illusionz
NH3 does not dissociate!! (Well it does, but there is one molecule of NH2- for every ~1035 molecules of NH3)

NH3 is a weak base because the equilibrium for the following equation lies towards the left.

NH3 + H2O <--> NH4+ + HO-

would it be more accurate to say "NH3 partially ionizes" instead?
Reply 11
so for 3 marks

should i state NH3 is a weak base as it partially dissociates to give OH- and KOH is strong base because completely dissociates to form OH-

and for equations should i give the example with NH3 reacting with water to give NH4+ and OH-

and the KOH dissociating to give K+ + OH-

Sorry I meant to say that ammonia associates, but yeah pretty much all that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest