The Student Room Group

Maths GCSE Results Edexcel

Hello guys,

Have you got your Maths GCSE Result from the exams you sat in February and March?

I was really worried I got a B because I wouldn't be able to do Further Maths but I got an A. I was still really disapointed so hopefully I will retake it.

What are your thoughts on me retaking and also what did you get?

HadjerBoum :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
AQA results are also out today.

Is a retake free? If so, you may as well. If you have the retake exam a few days before your next unit's exam, I would concentrate on revising the next unit rather than trying to re-revise for the retake then revising for the next exam afterwards, it won't work and you'll suffer.

However, I wouldn't worry about not getting an A*. I think the A* grade should be done away with, as it's pretty much luck and chance whether you get A* or 'just' an A. Even in those easy tests where you know every question, you can still have brain farts and human error. Plus you get marks for how you show your working so marking of some answers is subjective, creating more of what I see as a 'margin of error' in the marks.
Reply 2
Got a B. Very upset and definitely resitting to get an A or try push for A*.
got an a* :biggrin: i wasn't expecting it though but i was extremely pleased with my result
Original post by jack-1
Got a B. Very upset and definitely resitting to get an A or try push for A*.

Same I got a B I was 6 marks away from an A. Last year November I got a B as well and i was 2 marks away from an A.
Reply 5
Got a B.

Definitely retaking because in the last exam I was really ill, so hopefully I'll improve and get the A.
got A* (97/100 & 92/100)!!! congrats to everyone who got the grade they wanted x
Reply 7
I got a C :frown: upset when i found out i was 5 marks away from a B
Reply 8
Yes Lads I got A well Pleased with it... Well done to everyone who got their grades... :cool:
Reply 9
same ... but do you think that retaking may be too stressful if you've got exams in may and june?
Reply 10
Got an A but that was my Unit 3 re-sit so I was devastated. Tried so hard and I did worse in my re-sit than I did first time round in November but :frown: Well done though everyone!!
Reply 11
Original post by bethfarren
Got an A but that was my Unit 3 re-sit so I was devastated. Tried so hard and I did worse in my re-sit than I did first time round in November but :frown: Well done though everyone!!

So you got an A* first time?

Then why did you resit?...
Reply 12
Original post by ozzyoscy

Is a retake free? If so, you may as well. If you have the retake exam a few days before your next unit's exam, I would concentrate on revising the next unit rather than trying to re-revise for the retake then revising for the next exam afterwards, it won't work and you'll suffer.

However, I wouldn't worry about not getting an A*. I think the A* grade should be done away with, as it's pretty much luck and chance whether you get A* or 'just' an A. Even in those easy tests where you know every question, you can still have brain farts and human error. Plus you get marks for how you show your working so marking of some answers is subjective, creating more of what I see as a 'margin of error' in the marks.

Retake's aren't free but my parents are too fussed about paying, however i did speak with my dad and maths teacher and they said don't retake and focus on other subjects. This is because when you apply for university they look at your ALevel grades and your personal statement not your GCSE grades.
Reply 13
Original post by ahmed1997
I got a C :frown: upset when i found out i was 5 marks away from a B

Aww sorry to hear. Are you retaking?

Also one of these girls in my class got a C but towards the run up to the exam she was like it doesn't matter if she gets a C, she just wants to pass. When she got her result this girl couldn't stop crying and was like she is so upset and started having a go at me!! Ugh i was so angry lol
Reply 14
Original post by sam-49
same ... but do you think that retaking may be too stressful if you've got exams in may and june?

I'm not sure if i should retake now, I spoke to my dad and maths teacher and the only reason i wanted to retake was when it comes down to university and they had to chose between me and someone who got an A* in their maths gcse i was worried they would accept that person and not me. However my teacher said they don't look that far back and would base it on your personal statement and ALevel grade.

Also i think with the extra time i could revise for other subjects. So i've decided not to retake. Well done on your A and tell me what you decide to do. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by ammar.ali
Yes Lads I got A well Pleased with it... Well done to everyone who got their grades... :cool:

Well done and thanks :smile:

Oh no it's not! If you know every question and how to do it, then you deserve an A for getting "brain farts". And "human error" is part of the test... I did mine in November, but I knew I made very little mistakes. Also, without an A* grade, the A grade must be pushed so much higher, or there would be no distinction between fairly clever people and clever people
Reply 17
Original post by Blake-inator
Oh no it's not! If you know every question and how to do it, then you deserve an A for getting "brain farts". And "human error" is part of the test... I did mine in November, but I knew I made very little mistakes. Also, without an A* grade, the A grade must be pushed so much higher, or there would be no distinction between fairly clever people and clever people

GCSEs don't make a distinction between varying levels of intelligence, so that's fine.

Don't try so hard, you're fallible too whether you like it or not.
GCSEs don't make a distinction between varying levels of intelligence, so that's fine.

Don't try so hard, you're fallible too whether you like it or not.

everyone is fallible, but some of us strive to not be. And when we are it is a minor thing.
And FYI, i don't try hard, I can honestly say I have never revised before in my life
(this could be how I am reading it but it sounds like you think I got an A, but i didn't, I got an A*)
Reply 19
Original post by Blake-inator
everyone is fallible, but some of us strive to not be. And when we are it is a minor thing.
And FYI, i don't try hard, I can honestly say I have never revised before in my life
(this could be how I am reading it but it sounds like you think I got an A, but i didn't, I got an A*)

So you struggle to accept your limitations, you feel the need to boast/lie/exaggerate, and you're paranoid (I had no opinion whatsoever on what grade you may or may not have got, who cares?)

So I understand why you make the comments you have. I hope you relax as you get older, that's all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending