The Student Room Group

Do people have the moral 'right' to call each other fat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CaptainDudeson
Fat=Unhelthy. Fat=No self respect. Fat=Unnatractive. Fat=Inconsiderate. Lose some weight for Christ's sake.

Unhealthy is the only one I agree with, and learn to ****ing spell it correct next time you shallow dip****
Stop being so fat about it. Fat people should just accept the fact that there are fat. Lol am joking on that. If people aren't talking about your weight than its other things like grades, money, looks that they will comment on.
Reply 22
Original post by Scumbaggio
I don't think we should be picking and choosing what is acceptable use as and insult and what is not.

Either all abuse/discrimination is unwarranted on none of it is.

For example it would he highly hypocritical to say....

"I detest racism but look at that fat poof over there."

Good point, where do we draw the line? Shall we ban colored hair just because I disapprove of it and it's unkind on the eye?
I have no respect for fatties because fatties have no respect for themselves. You should treat your body with reverence.

That's a massive assumption.

OP I think people can say what they like but it's really rude. Next time someone says that, retort with something like "you're hair looks great, have you been washing it more?" or "you look really nice for a change!". Soon shuts people up
Original post by Blake-inator
Fat people are fat for a reason. They ate too much for their body whilst not doing enough exercise. So by criticizing, it is the same as criticizing smokers, or drug addicts. Most people see no problem with doing any of them two, but because fat people try and make it look like it isn't their fault, we have to feel sorry for them. They should get of their ******* arse and do some exercise!

I've never met a fat person who wanted me to feel sorry for them.

Also not all fat people act like it isn't their fault. Many fat people accept that they're fat and try to lose the weight, but it can be difficult for some people.
Original post by Iron Lady
(Just because someone is big it doesn't mean they're automatically going to be ugly).

It does, actually.
Reply 26
I hate seeing people call each other fat when they have at most 7lb over their ideal weight.

Yes, I'm fat, and whilst it would clearly be ridiculous for me to get upset when people observe this, I think it's outrageous that they think they have a right to tell me what to do with my body (I'm dieting anyway, so if they told me to lose weight, it'd be no more helpful than reminding me to breathe, and my weight is no concern of theirs anyway).

I think we do have a right to speak openly about other people's appearances and there's nothing wrong with acknowleding that some is fat/thin, it's the same as commenting that they're short/tall or pretty/ugly. However, nobody should pass judgement and tell them what to do, especially if they are not perfectly healthy themselves.
But we imprison drug addicts and dealers, so you are trying not to give them a choice and ARE trying to make them change. And by pointing out their flaws, you will make them perfect themselves. And before you say "Why perfect someone else when you are not perfect yourself?", isn't that what teachers try and do? My teachers are nowhere near perfect, but they do try and correct my slight mistakes to make me better (its part of the job).
Reply 28
I have no respect for fatties because fatties have no respect for themselves. You should treat your body with reverence.

1. No one is forcing you to look at them.
2. "Fat people" aren't exempt from paying taxes (*shock horror* they are people too with full time, well-paid jobs) so contribute that way. If the strain they have gets to much, they can pay for it themselves, or reforms should be made to the NHS, which I support anyway as in its current state it's unsustainable (that's off-topic).
3. Looks aren't everything. I have more respect for people who excel in jobs or their studies, are nice and honest people, than someone for going to the gym.
4. The health concern is somewhat valid, but you claiming that they're ugly due to size is superficial as it's their personal choice. I'm sure you have lots of flaws I disapprove of, but unless it directly affects my liberty I won't be tactless and ruin your confidence.
5. What makes you so important that you have to get others to change just so they're no longer an eyesore?
Original post by Popppppy
I've never met a fat person who wanted me to feel sorry for them.

Also not all fat people act like it isn't their fault. Many fat people accept that they're fat and try to lose the weight, but it can be difficult for some people.

It's only difficult for the weak-willed or those who are so fat they are at the point of no return. Both of these types of people deserve abuse for their actions
Reply 30
But it's not a crime and it doesn't affect you. Where do we draw the line at characteristics do you dislike? If someone wears a hat I don't like, it doesn't give me the right to take that right away from them. So, in other words, it doesn't give others the right to say people should be a certain size just because it doesn't look nice.

I'm not fat by the way, I just don't see why it's 1) anyone else's business when it's arbitrary and a personal choice, and 2) your suggestion that they don't have self-respect is silly because they may be hard-working, successful, etc.

Also, you don't need to change your opinion, but other people shouldn't have to change their size.

The problem is, being fat isn't equatable to wearing a hat someone doesn't like. There are serious health concerns that come with being fat, and ignoring that isn't helping the situation we are in right now. Tens of thousands of people in the UK die each year due to their weight, also potentially leaving behind families that lose their sole earner or leaving children orphaned for example. And the number of obese people in this country is rising at a shocking rate. Health concerns like this are far more impactful to our society than what colour hat someone decides to wear, and do have an impact on millions of other people whether you want to admit it or not :rolleyes: I'm not saying it's particularly nice or helpful to attack fat people, but to brush the serious health and economic problems of rising obesity under the carpet is frankly ridiculous. I'd prefer to live in a society where we could talk about the problems of being fat rather than have everyone make being overweight something that is perfectly fine, healthy and normal by saying "There's nothing wrong with being fat and it doesn't concern you." There is something wrong with it, and it concerns everyone.
Reply 31
Original post by maskofsanity
It does, actually.

No it doesn't.
Reply 32
Original post by munchkins
The problem is, being fat isn't equatable to wearing a hat someone doesn't like. There are serious health concerns that come with being fat, and ignoring that isn't helping the situation we are in right now. Tens of thousands of people in the UK die each year due to their weight, also potentially leaving behind families that lose their sole earner or leaving children orphaned for example. And the number of obese people in this country is rising at a shocking rate. Health concerns like this are far more impactful to our society than what colour hat someone decides to wear, and do have an impact on millions of other people whether you want to admit it or not :rolleyes: I'm not saying it's particularly nice or helpful to attack fat people, but to brush the serious health and economic problems of rising obesity under the carpet is frankly ridiculous. I'd prefer to live in a society where we could talk about the problems of being fat rather than have everyone make being overweight something that is perfectly fine, healthy and normal by saying "There's nothing wrong with being fat and it doesn't concern you." There is something wrong with it, and it concerns everyone.

You're verging on paternalism with your comments about sole income earners, if they have a health problem, they acknowledge it and rectify it.

What do you mean when you say fat? I am referring to fat/overweight, not morbidly obese.
Reply 33
But we imprison drug addicts and dealers, so you are trying not to give them a choice and ARE trying to make them change. And by pointing out their flaws, you will make them perfect themselves. And before you say "Why perfect someone else when you are not perfect yourself?", isn't that what teachers try and do? My teachers are nowhere near perfect, but they do try and correct my slight mistakes to make me better (its part of the job).

You don't need to be so smug about helping "fat people" "perfect" themselves. I think they are capable of doing it themselves. It's really quite patronising.
It's only difficult for the weak-willed or those who are so fat they are at the point of no return. Both of these types of people deserve abuse for their actions

What the hell? No. Let them live how they want to live. Just because it's not what you want to do doesn't mean they deserve abuse. ****ing hell.
Reply 35
Good point, where do we draw the line? Shall we ban colored hair just because I disapprove of it and it's unkind on the eye?

Someone calls a person fat isn't telling them they aren't allowed to be fat- just that they don't like it. I may tell someone I don't like their t shirt, doesn't mean I don't think they have a right to wear it. If they locked you up and forced you to diet that is imposing themselves on others but just having a view on it isn't the same. While we live among others and while our actions affect one another people need to accept that we will judge each other and get over it. Everyone has their own values and people should be allowed to criticise one another. Your criticism of people voicing their dislike of fat people is a much of an attack as the people attacking fat people. They aren't fitting your view of right so you are telling them it is wrong.

I shouldn't have to shut up just because someone doesn't like what i'm saying.
You don't need to be so smug about helping "fat people" "perfect" themselves. I think they are capable of doing it themselves. It's really quite patronising.

Not all of them are capable. By pointing out their flaws, you make them insecure about themselves (as they should be) and more determined to change.
And FYI I don't just see a fat person on the street, point and call them fat. And I don't not like people because they are fat. BUT if anyone ever asks me about their weight, or says something to suggest they think they aren't fat when they are, I correct them.
Something that has increasingly been bothering me is when people need to comment on each others weight. For example, "are you watching your weight?", "don't eat chocolate, think of the calories", or even more offensively... "you would be more attractive if it wasn't for the size". :mad: (Just because someone is big it doesn't mean they're automatically going to be ugly).
The only concerns which I think are valid: 1) you're going out with the person, 2) you're funding their eating or food, or 3) genuine health concern.
Other than that, KEEP YOUR NOSE OUT OF OTHER PEOPLE'S BUSINESS. :haughty:
EDIT: I don't oppose their freedom of speech to say it, but I don't think they should expect others to accept it or change to suit them.

Interesting question. I think if it isn't relevant to the conservation, then it's likely to be perceived as rude or offensive.

I believe in freedom of speech, even for people who's views I strongly oppose, but gratuitous 'fat' comments could end up as verbal abuse, bullying, or worse. I've never understood why using 'ginger' as an insult is hardly ever challenged either.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
What the hell? No. Let them live how they want to live. Just because it's not what you want to do doesn't mean they deserve abuse. ****ing hell.

The same thing could be said about Hitler or Stalin but many people (on here as well) give them a lot of abuse
Reply 39
Fat=Unhelthy.

Wrong.

really?

Quick Reply

Latest