The Student Room Group

What would you do if you were going into an exam knowing nothing-very little?

OK so what would you do if you knew none-little of the content for an essay based subject (History!), and in the exam you had no idea what to right?
what would/should you do in that situation other than wish you had learned the content?
Also, what can/should you do if you know a few bits of content related to the question but not enough to form a really strong argument? Any way of waffling/pretending to know?
Reply 1
Is this a real life situation?

I'd cry and hope that the little content I put in is shadowed enough by my strong essay structure.
Reply 2
This happened to me for History at AS exam and well, I got a D in that exam... I hated history and wanted to drop it so meh.
Basically try not to put yourself in that situation, especially for History as cramming last minute just doesn't work!
Just get on with it and attempt to write everything you can that's related to the question. In my History exam we had sources to analyse, you should be able to get something from them (if you have them) and it may remind you of something. If you really haven't revised much then you'll probably just be able to resit afterwards.

Original post by CurlyC
OK so what would you do if you knew none-little of the content for an essay based subject (History!), and in the exam you had no idea what to right?
what would/should you do in that situation other than wish you had learned the content?
Also, what can/should you do if you know a few bits of content related to the question but not enough to form a really strong argument? Any way of waffling/pretending to know?
Reply 4
Get off the studentroom and pull an all nighter! It's surprising what you pick up in class without knowing so.

I would just go through the book- even if I just had enough to read the book and not make notes. While on the bus to school I would go through the revision guide etc.
Reply 5
basically most of the humanities exams ive ever done
Reply 6
Original post by Albino
basically most of the humanities exams ive ever done

Haha bless. Gcses or a levels? :redface:
if i was in this position, i'll think wtf have i done all year and if it was seriously limited, pull an all nighter, grab notes from internet/friends essays/textbook and cram hard, fingers crossed the exam will be about something you retained.

though 9/10, with a subject like History it is unlikely one day will be enough unless you have a very very kind examiner or you pull a magical one shot off.
Reply 7
What the OP really meant to say is "How f**ked am I?"
I hardly revised for AS History, big mistake, didn't feel great in the exam.
it'd be silly to get yourself into that situation just CRAM the night before then literally write everything you know... something is bound to be right :tongue:
Reply 10
I'd cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry.

After I can no longer cry, I'd wait till I was able to cry again then cry.

Honestly though, I'd stay composed and do my best. What else can you do apart from cry?!
Reply 11
Original post by Jkizer
Haha bless. Gcses or a levels? :redface:
if i was in this position, i'll think wtf have i done all year and if it was seriously limited, pull an all nighter, grab notes from internet/friends essays/textbook and cram hard, fingers crossed the exam will be about something you retained.

though 9/10, with a subject like History it is unlikely one day will be enough unless you have a very very kind examiner or you pull a magical one shot off.

luckily only gcse i think id be panicking if it were a-level
Reply 12
Original post by CodeJack
What the OP really meant to say is "How f**ked am I?"

Hahhahahaha yes that's pretty much it! I know more than I initially think I do,and am obviously revising hard; I started revision knowing very very little and so trying to gage how I'd cope in the exam at this point :P
Reply 13
It depends on which history exam you do. If its source led you'll be fine, just analyse the sources. If its the other exam, you must know the basic information. If you at least structure the essay really well you'll be fine - you don't need to make the essay detailed. Also you must answer the question precisely

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by CurlyC
Hahhahahaha yes that's pretty much it! I know more than I initially think I do,and am obviously revising hard; I started revision knowing very very little and so trying to gage how I'd cope in the exam at this point :P

Best way to find out is past papers :smile: They're a godsend.

Quick Reply

Latest