The Student Room Group

Schools ‘expelling too many ethnic minority boys

Schools should stop expelling children over their hairstyle and attitude towards adults amid fears exclusion rules are discriminating against ethnic minority pupils, the Children’s Commissioner warns today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9944345/Schools-expelling-too-many-ethnic-minority-boys.html

I just wondered what people thought about this.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can't read the article but it just sounds like another load of politically correct bull****e
People are excluded for wearing cornrows? That is absolutely ridiculous.
Original post by whyumadtho

No it's not. Schools make the rules. If they don't want you to wear it, then you don't. If you disagree.... leave
Original post by Blake-inator
No it's not. Schools make the rules. If they don't want you to wear it, then you don't. If you disagree.... leave
Somebody's education should not be disrupted for something as innocuous as this hairstyle. I see no reason that it warrants exclusion.
If they say they aren't going to follow the rules, they have no right to an education. If they wanted it they would do as they were told
Who cares? I doubt they are being excluded because of their ethnicity, and they shouldn't receive special treatment because of it.

The school sets its rules, follow them or go elsewhere. It teaches standards and discipline.
Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug
Who cares? I doubt they are being excluded because of their ethnicity, and they shouldn't receive special treatment because of it.

The school sets its rules, follow them or go elsewhere. It teaches standards and discipline.

Finally someone who speaks sense!!
If they say they aren't going to follow the rules, they have no right to an education. If they wanted it they would do as they were told
I'm not of the opinion that somebody's right to an education should be revoked for having a particular hairstyle. :indiff: Who benefits from the exclusion of a child wearing cornrows?
Reply 9
I'm not of the opinion that somebody's right to an education should be revoked for having a particular hairstyle. :indiff: Who benefits from the exclusion of a child wearing cornrows?

KFC.
----------------

no one (srs)
(edited 11 years ago)

If the school says no, it is up to the boy what he wants, and he clearly chose that he didn't want an education. His problem, not mine
Reply 11
When a school allows Caucasian pupils to rock a 'bieber' hairstyle but bans conrows you know something is wrong.
Reply 12
Judged by the evidence of my own eyes these expulsions are thoroughly deserved. No doubt in the interests of 'equality and diversity' the schools bent over backwards to accommodate their appalling anti-social behavior and their parents' absolute disregard of their parental responsibilities. Then it seems most of the parents in these groups really don't give a monkey's about the society they have come to exploit. Meanwhile all innocent kids in their class suffer.

But never mind, no doubt the parents will continue to be paid family allowance and all the usual welfare perks while the taxpayer picks up the bill for vast sums of extra money the yobbos cost us one way and another.
If the school says no, it is up to the boy what he wants, and he clearly chose that he didn't want an education. His problem, not mine
Why does the school say no? Other than leaving it as an afro, cornrows and braids are some of the very few styles that people with long afro-textured hair can produce. Why should males with long afro hair be obliged to shave it off to continue their education? This seems discriminatory on the basis of ethnic origin, gender or both.
Reply 14
Corn rows aren't an extreme hairstyle, and are prevalent enough that it's not going to make other kids feel inferior. The (lack of) respect for adults is a valid reason to exclude kids though, I don't see how anyone can oppose that in a school - you undermine the teacher and hence sabotage the entire class.
Why does the school say no? Other than leaving it as an afro, cornrows and braids are some of the very few styles that people with long afro-textured hair can produce. Why should males with long afro hair be obliged to shave it off to continue their education? This seems discriminatory on the basis of ethnic origin, gender or both.

Most schools place limits on the length of boy's hair.

My school had a strict 'no longer than the cuff' policy.
Reply 16
The question I would like to ask schools is would they prefer for these boys to come in with messy afros or perfectly neat and sensible cornrows? Its ridiculous... schools cannot force their students to cut their hair :/
I don't see why they would ban corn rows but students attitude towards teachers shouldn't be at all based on their cultural upbringing. I'm not a global expert on all the globes cultures but im pretty sure in every society you're told to respect your seniors from parents, teachers and elders failing that at least be curtious. Noone teaches arrogance and rudeness.. Why should 'minority kids' get a free pass when western kids wouldn't be allowed to get away with it. If the expulsion rate is disproportional due to behaviour the answer is certainly not to be more lenient in punishing it but actually trying to remedy that problem. When they go out to the world of work employers and society at large won't give them any such free pass... Its Ridiculous.

Surely having a relatively innocuous hairstyle should not be against the rules?

If children don't show appropriate respect to teachers then this may lead to a breakdown of class discipline, and that does have an effect on other children. In this case I support the school's decision to exclude.

But for hair? seriously?
Original post by Scumbaggio
Schools should stop expelling children over their hairstyle and attitude towards adults amid fears exclusion rules are discriminating against ethnic minority pupils, the Children’s Commissioner warns today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9944345/Schools-expelling-too-many-ethnic-minority-boys.html

I just wondered what people thought about this.

Or
Ethnic minority boys had a problem with authority.

Just more PC bullcrap. If a white boys started doing this, there would be no article on it, but as soon as ethnic groups do it, it's "discrimination".
Also their cultural upbringing should be BRITISH. If not, why are immigrants coming here if they are actively seeking not to merge and instead clash with the native culture?

Pupils are excluded for having very short hair. Why is this any different?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending