The Student Room Group

Do people have the moral 'right' to call each other fat?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Then you understand that you just used one?

the concept of your argument is stupid*
Original post by Blake-inator
the concept of your argument is stupid*

I meant referring to my username, but thank you for clarifying :heart:
Reply 62
I don't go around calling others fat, but I should be allowed to do so if I wish. If I get a message on plenty of fish from some massive ham planet who thinks they have an 'athletic body type', I'll make any value judgements that i want to.

Also...I have always pictured you as looking like Thatcher, OP (as in, quite skinny). It's come as quite a shock that you don't.
Original post by CaptainDudeson
I don't have an attitude problem. I just don't have time for people who allow themselves to become fat and then complain about being called fat.

I think you do have an attitude problem tbf, you must have a prefect body right?
By the way, "Free speech" is a myth. No such thing.
Original post by Iron Lady
1. No one is forcing you to look at them. It's difficult not to. They are everywhere and I do like to leave the house occasionally!
2. "Fat people" aren't exempt from paying taxes I don't recall suggesting otherwise. (*shock horror* they are people too with full time, well-paid jobs) so contribute that way. If the strain they have gets to much, they can pay for it themselves, or reforms should be made to the NHS, which I support anyway as in its current state it's unsustainable (that's off-topic). I agree.
3. Looks aren't everything. I have more respect for people who excel in jobs or their studies, are nice and honest people, than someone for going to the gym. You are quite right but if they did lose weight they would be doing themselves a favour. People judge others on the way they look, it's just a fact of life.
4. The health concern is somewhat valid, but you claiming that they're ugly due to size is superficial as it's their personal choice. I'm sure you have lots of flaws I disapprove of, but unless it directly affects my liberty I won't be tactless and ruin your confidence. No one wants to be fat. Fatness can easily be overcome by anyone with a little bit of self control, apart from those who are fat due to certain medical conditions.
5. What makes you so important that you have to get others to change just so they're no longer an eyesore? I speak on behalf of a very large number of people.

If people want to be fat then they can but please don't complain when others judge you for it.
Yes, but about any characteristic. OK, let's act like a massive arse-hole just because you're wearing jeans today and I don't like the style. Let's call an interrogation, identifying underlying causes for your taste in unflattering jeans.

People who are overweight aren't a different species to you. You can criticise them (obviously...I believe in free speech), but reasons like "it's weird" are petty.

I understand what you are saying, but I personally never say "its weird". I say "if you continue your current lifestyle, you will die earlier than you want to, and you will be much happier personally if you lost the weight and could do things you wanted to and have fun.
I know a girl who's severely overweight due to the steroids she's doing because of her multiple sclerosis.

Should we accuse her of "not looking after herself" ?
If people want to be fat then they can but please don't complain when others judge you for it.

Judge them if you like, but don't complain when people judge you.
I meant referring to my username, but thank you for clarifying :heart:

I had no idea... i checked out your profile to try and find a reason why you were being so stupid and saw someones message about Game of Thrones.... I found what I was looking for
Reply 70
Original post by geetar
I don't go around calling others fat, but I should be allowed to do so if I wish. If I get a message on plenty of fish from some massive ham planet who thinks they have an 'athletic body type', I'll make any value judgements that i want to.

Also...I have always pictured you as looking like Thatcher, OP (as in, quite skinny). It's come as quite a shock that you don't.

I'm not fat, but not slim either.

Even so, it's not your problem, and I don't care if you're "shocked". Sorry if my size "offends" you.
Reply 71
Something that has increasingly been bothering me is when people need to comment on each others weight. For example, "are you watching your weight?", "don't eat chocolate, think of the calories", or even more offensively... "you would be more attractive if it wasn't for the size". :mad: (Just because someone is big it doesn't mean they're automatically going to be ugly).

The only concerns which I think are valid: 1) you're going out with the person, 2) you're funding their eating or food, or 3) genuine health concern.

Other than that, KEEP YOUR NOSE OUT OF OTHER PEOPLE'S BUSINESS. :haughty:

EDIT: I don't oppose their freedom of speech to say it, but I don't think they should expect others to accept it or change to suit them.

I don't get it, why is it wrong to call a fat person fat?
I never comment about a persons size, colour, faith, sexuality etc. it is none of my business what other people are like, unless it effects me. When I was a manager at a supermarket, I had to pull one of the staff in due to his awful B.O. I tried to deal with it sensitively, customers were refusing to go down the aisle he worked on, and he smelt like rotten Stilton cheese. Generally though, I say live and let live.
You could argue - it's ok to call someone "fat" if they are "fat, but it's not ok to criticise them for it.
Original post by Blake-inator
I had no idea... i checked out your profile to try and find a reason why you were being so stupid and saw someones message about Game of Thrones.... I found what I was looking for

The fact you had to check my profile and refer to the fact I like a certain TV show speaks volumes about your argument. :ahee:
You can tell someone to lose some damn weight?
yeah it's a bit of a jump to assume someone's automatically unhealthy or has no self respect just because they're fat. It is possible to be fat and healthy

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/08/11/us-obesity-idUSN1137223820080811

Also thin people can be unhealthy too, but no one ever moans about that. I think people are being a bit unfair

Be that as it may, most people automatically make the assumption that fat people are unhealthy which is why it is viewed by the majority of people as being a bad thing.
Original post by JackBandicoot
You can tell someone to lose some damn weight?

Not really, otherwise where does it end?

I'm going to go round all the skinny people I know telling them to gain weight?
Reply 78
I don't have an attitude problem. I just don't have time for people who allow themselves to become fat and then complain about being called fat.

You have an attitude problem.
Reply 79
Original post by Sai4
I don't get it, why is it wrong to call a fat person fat?

It is when you make a bit deal out of it and try to belittle them because of it.

Quick Reply

Latest