The Student Room Group

Do people have the moral 'right' to call each other fat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Iron Lady
Something that has increasingly been bothering me is when people need to comment on each others weight. For example, "are you watching your weight?", "don't eat chocolate, think of the calories", or even more offensively... "you would be more attractive if it wasn't for the size". :mad: (Just because someone is big it doesn't mean they're automatically going to be ugly).

The only concerns which I think are valid: 1) you're going out with the person, 2) you're funding their eating or food, or 3) genuine health concern.

Other than that, KEEP YOUR NOSE OUT OF OTHER PEOPLE'S BUSINESS. :haughty:

EDIT: I don't oppose their freedom of speech to say it, but I don't think they should expect others to accept it or change to suit them.

Well when it comes to the case of benefit scroungers I am technically funding their eating and no doubt when it comes to the point where they have a heart attack or need a gastric bypass it will come from the public purse. Why should my taxes go towards funding the terrible life choices of others?
But whhhhhhyyyyyyy (when they're aware of the consequences, lol?)

Because people won't call you fat.
Reply 102
D'ya want a medal?

No, I'm just pointing out that you take offence very easily, which is ironic considering the battleaxe nature of your idol.
I'm of the opinion that if you judge somebody on their physical appearance, doesn't matter if they're kermit the frog, it still makes you a shallow and unpleasant individual.

Fatness is demonized so much in the media, yet more and more people are overweight, and there's a myriad of reasons for being overweight. Over eating is just one of them, but sometimes people are so quick to judge that they don't even stop to think there could be other reasons - for example, a friend of mine has a terminal brain tumour, and the steroid treatment she has been given to try and save her life has made her weight balloon up. Now, she's technically obese - but is that her fault? No. She gets comments all the time like "stop eating you fat pig" and it's very hurtful.

That's just one individual and I know it's an unusual case, but I think if you're happy with how you look it can make your whole life more enjoyable. Being bullied for something that really has no effect on anybody but you is purely spiteful and there's no benefit to it.

As for a moral right though, I don't know what you're getting at. You have the right to call anybody a fat pig if you wish to, but I certainly think it makes you a bad person with a cruel streak. What's that old saying, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
That kind of attitude is what stops progress though. Should anyone who's treated unfavourably just suck it up? Or should they kick the **** off until it changes? I go with the latter myself

Accepting fatness is your idea of progress? By the way, just because it is possible to be fat and healthy (within reason) it doesn't mean that most fat people are healthy. The vast majority of them are not.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3429903.stm

Certain societies do regard fat people higher

Backward societies.
Original post by CaptainDudeson
Accepting fatness is your idea of progress? By the way, just because it is possible to be fat and healthy (within reason) it doesn't mean that most fat people are healthy. The vast majority of them are not.

My idea of progress is not basing my sole opinion on how someone looks. The study I showed you said that at least half were healthy. So, that's at least the same amount.
No it doesn't.

The truth is hard to swallow for fat people.

Ironically.
Backward societies.

So? The point was that not everyone finds fat unattractive.
Original post by sugar-n-spice
Japan.

I hardly think so.
Please give me an example of a society where fatness is seen as being a good thing.

I'll give you ten.

http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-countries-celebrating-female-obesity.php
Something that has increasingly been bothering me is when people need to comment on each others weight. For example, "are you watching your weight?", "don't eat chocolate, think of the calories", or even more offensively... "you would be more attractive if it wasn't for the size". :mad: (Just because someone is big it doesn't mean they're automatically going to be ugly).

The only concerns which I think are valid: 1) you're going out with the person, 2) you're funding their eating or food, or 3) genuine health concern.

Other than that, KEEP YOUR NOSE OUT OF OTHER PEOPLE'S BUSINESS. :haughty:

EDIT: I don't oppose their freedom of speech to say it, but I don't think they should expect others to accept it or change to suit them.

You are now calling facts offensive :facepalm2:
Also seeing that you have to live, work with, and pay for a national health system, someone's weight is everyones problem.

All of those countries are backwards and have recently had famine, and as for SA, that is simply horse****. Was Reeva Steenkamp fat or classical ? :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)
I hardly think so.

For young men it's skinny camp guys who are the ideal, but overall a man is seen as in his prime when he has a slightly receding hairline, is middle aged and a bit of a belly. It signifies status.
Original post by areebmazhar
You are judging them though, Everybody is judged, it's a fact of life. I don't think you have ever been in the situation where you are 6/7 stones overweight, You are right, I haven't it's not that simple to lose weight. It's not simple to lose weight, it takes discipline and hard work. Maintaining your weight after losing it isn't too difficult. The procedure is simple i.e a calorie deficit is all that is required but the execution is much more complex and difficult. There are many psychosocial issues to consider. So you should drop your superiority complex of how thin you are and how lazy those fat people are.

Oh and btw, having previously been 18st at 6ft I have first hand experience in this issue, I am of a normal weight now, you can check out my transformation blog if you would like. I feel sorry for fat people because I know how it feels like to be one and how difficult losing weight can be. Well done for losing the weight.

Peace x

I don't hate fat people. Two of my closest friends were fat when I met them and very unhappy about it. ''Oh why am I fat, why can't I get the women that I want blah blah blah'' I told the to stop being so wet and go out for a run every day and cut down on the food until they have lost the excess baggage. They did and they are both far happier and far more confident because of it.
Yes, but about any characteristic. OK, let's act like a massive arse-hole just because you're wearing jeans today and I don't like the style. Let's call an interrogation, identifying underlying causes for your taste in unflattering jeans.

Yes...

People who are overweight aren't a different species to you. You can criticise them (obviously...I believe in free speech), but reasons like "it's weird" are petty.

Pettyness is not a reason to shut up though.
Original post by frankieboy
Ask a Sumo Wrestler.

Edit - or even a body builder.

They aren't healthy.
So? The point was that not everyone finds fat unattractive.

The fact that it's appreciated in some societies won't help the fatsos in our society.
The fact that it's appreciated in some societies won't help the fatsos in our society.

No, people not being dickheads will
Original post by sugar-n-spice
For young men it's skinny camp guys who are the ideal, but overall a man is seen as in his prime when he has a slightly receding hairline, is middle aged and a bit of a belly. It signifies status.

Fair enough but a bit of a belly and all out fatness are quite rather different from one another.

Quick Reply

Latest