The Student Room Group

Do people have the moral 'right' to call each other fat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
CaptainDudeson is a low from UAE from a below-standard university, graduated with a pass in all of his university modules in his chosen degree on sports/personal training (/ some **** you don't need university for) he then uses his almighty wisdom to offer apparent advice on the internet about how being fat is morally wrong and costing the NHS a lot, I suppose with CaptainDudeson's ambitions and a half-arsed degree he's costing the tax-payer more as he can't pay his university fee's back, now I agree with him on some points, but his generalisations are so damn annoying, I'll admit I'm a bit over the average weight but not obese, obesity is a problem, a bit of fatness is not however. I walk to school do some running, study hard and work hard. Just because someone's fat, it doesn't mean that they are of less worth than other contributors in society, in fact unless a job requires physical stamina, fat people can be just as productive as healthy people. I don't honestly see why hes going on an internet crusade to slam all the fat people as being immoral, when his presence here and his words are immoral
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Iron Lady
If health reasons, they can find out by looking in the mirror, not Perfect Peter telling them what to do.

The bloated public sector.

:confused:
Original post by firewater
My older brother suffers from hypothyroidism, a disease which affects the thyroid (the part of the body that controls metabolism) and I can not believe the comments that people are making on this.
I don't know if people here are misinformed or just plain ignorant, not every fat person is fat because they overeat or do no to little exercise. My brother eats the same amount of food as the rest of my family yet he is the only one who is overweight. Kids at school bullied my brother calling him horrible names that really lowered his self-esteem. Do you really think that by calling someone else 'fat', they'll suddenly drop the junk food and run on the treadmill 24/7? No. If anything it makes them feel worse about themselves causing them to binge eat.

yeah people don't always stop and think that being overweight can be caused by a disease. nevertheless it's not acceptable to bully people who are overweight, whether they have an illness or not.
Reply 163
Cannot be arsed to read through 8 pages of mindless drivel in this thread.
Why should "fat" people be judged based on their weight? The way I've seen a couple of comments which seem like people are talking about fat people like they're animals, not human and like they don't have feelings. Which for one is ****ing rude.
Not all fat people are unhealthy, end of.
It's sometimes not a fat persons fault that they can't lose weight, sometimes it's due to hormone imbalances, genetic conditions etc.
So what if you have a dislike for fat people, what do you actually get from telling them you dislike them? It's not going to change how they are.
Fat people could say they don't like skinny people, that skinny people are unhealthy and unattractive too.
Let people live their lives how they want.

Inb4 you're fat, because I am, so what.
Also, one story, a few months ago I was in McDonald's with my friend, some guys were laughing and being all "what is that fat lass doing here? Should be to the gym", funnily enough I go to the gym regularly, once while at the gym, some guys were sniggering and being all "what is that fat lass doing in here sweating her tits off on a treadmill?" So I can't win.

Some people are just idiotic ********s, as a lot of people on here are.

Why is is even a discussion?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 164
Original post by MrHappy_J
:confused:

Because sooner or later the inefficient services will need to be reformed, then people cry it's "evil right wing oppression" when the simple fact is the state just can't afford it anymore. Iron Lady's tip for the day: Live within your means and you will be rewarded.
If health reasons, they can find out by looking in the mirror, not Perfect Peter telling them what to do. They need to be told because seeing themselves in the mirror doesn't motivate them enough.

The bloated public sector.

So there you have it.
Because sooner or later the inefficient services will need to be reformed, then people cry it's "evil right wing oppression" when the simple fact is the state just can't afford it anymore. Iron Lady's tip for the day: Live within your means and you will be rewarded.

I have some news for you: a) you are not the Iron Lady and b) I don't need any "tips" from you.

The state cant afford it because the government is corrupt and allows bankers to be paid huge bonuses whilst the average pay is shrinking.
Original post by CaptainDudeson
So there you have it.

Who the **** are you to decide you need to change people? You;ve got issues.
Original post by Robbie242
CaptainDudeson is a low UAE graduate with a pass in all of his university modules in his chosen degree on sports/personal training (/ some **** you don't need university for) he then uses his almighty wisdom to offer apparent advice on the internet about how being fat is morally wrong and costing the NHS a lot, I suppose with CaptainDudeson's ambitions and a half-arsed degree he's costing the tax-payer more as he can't pay his university fee's back, now I agree with him on some points, but his generalisations are so damn annoying, I'll admit I'm a bit over the average weight but not obese, obesity is a problem, a bit of fatness is not however. I walk to school do some running, study hard and work hard. Just because someone's fat, it doesn't mean that they are of less worth than other contributors in society, in fact unless a job requires physical stamina, fat people can be just as productive as healthy people. I don't honestly see why hes going on an internet crusade to slam all the fat people as being immoral, when his presence here and his words are immoral

UAE is a country mate, not a uni :colonhash:
Reply 169
Original post by justinawe

**** im an idiot, UEA is the uni I was talking about ************
Original post by firewater
My older brother suffers from hypothyroidism, a disease which affects the thyroid (the part of the body that controls metabolism) and I can not believe the comments that people are making on this.
I don't know if people here are misinformed or just plain ignorant, not every fat person is fat because they overeat or do no to little exercise. My brother eats the same amount of food as the rest of my family yet he is the only one who is overweight. Kids at school bullied my brother calling him horrible names that really lowered his self-esteem. Do you really think that by calling someone else 'fat', they'll suddenly drop the junk food and run on the treadmill 24/7? No. If anything it makes them feel worse about themselves causing them to binge eat.

There is nothing wrong with being fat if it is out of ones control. Fatsos by choice on the other hand...
Reply 171
So there you have it.

Why do you want everyone to be just like you?

Original post by MrHappy_J
I have some news for you: a) you are not the Iron Lady and b) I don't need any "tips" from you.

The state cant afford it because the government is corrupt and allows bankers to be paid huge bonuses whilst the average pay is shrinking.

Politicians shouldn't be involved in banking, so the industry will decide. Why does it matter if bonuses are large, if they do the job, then so what? Other occupations will be paid on the skills.

There isn't an evil corrupt government against you.
Original post by justinawe

Thank **** for you my dear boy. Some people....:wink:
I couldn't be bothered to read every single page in this thread.
Fat is tentative. Some people are influenced by the media that fat is above size zero. So even a bit of muffin top on that tummy is already considered fat to the general society.
Morbid obesity is real "fat" in my opinion. When someone have trouble breathing, moving, etc. then that's when the person needs to be reminded of their health and the risks it brings. Being reminded is different from being insulted. But then again, some people are extremely sensitive when it comes to words.

People who are overconfident with themselves tend to put "fat" people down, mainly because it makes them feel better. This doesn't mean they're fit themselves too. If a chubby person is happy with how he/she is, then leave them be. They'll know when its time to change.

Don't forget that there are eating disorders and diseases (i.e. Prader-Willi Syndrome) and sometimes being fat isn't an option.

And back to the OP, there is no right to be rude. However, being straight-forward at the right time can be necessary.
(edited 10 years ago)
So I tell someone when I think they are making a mistake, and I believe they are genuinely interested in my advice. No matter if the issue at hand is 1 + 3 or what you are having for dinner.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Who the **** are you to decide you need to change people? You;ve got issues.

I don't think that I need to change people but I do think that people need to change themselves. Try to stay calm old chap.
I don't think that I need to change people but I do think that people need to change themselves. Try to stay calm old chap.

You think people need to change. For some reason you think you have the authority to say what's acceptable and what isn't. People like you piss me off.
My sister nearly reached a size 16 once (we are tall so it's actually much bigger for us than you'd think) and my mum tried to put her on a diet because 'she was fat'. She put on half a stone in rebellion. When I told her it's best to be healthy and active because it generally means you live longer, your skin gets better, you have more energy etc, she took up running and learned how to cook healthy food. She didn't tell us she was 'dieting' either, she wanted to keep it to herself as my mum had embarrassed her about getting bigger.

If you think you have the 'right' to call someone fat, I hope you do so respecting that person's 'right' to punch you in the face. I'm not even fat but I despise things like this so much. You think someone is fat - so what? Keep your judgement to yourself. Nobody asked for your opinion. That person probably knows they are overweight and telling them isn't going to help, you're just going to embarrass them needlessly. If I was fat and someone told me I was fat I would purposefully eat a whole pizza or something in front of their face. I think there's far worse things to be in life than fat and a lot of people seem to have lost sight of this, it's sad. You can tell someone you are concerned about their health because they are overweight without insulting and belittling them. It really doesn't help.
Reply 178
Nothing wrong with overeating and not exercising, it's their choice - as long as they don't affect others.
Nothing wrong with smoking, it's their choice - as long as they don't hurt others.
Nothing wrong with drug-taking, it's their choice - as long as it's for private use.
Get the picture?

Good for you if you don't want to be fat, it's your choice, and I believe you can disapprove of others choice to do so. But 1) don't expect them to change just because you said so, and 2) don't get upset when they point out your flaws.

Do you think so?

What is the cost to society of malnutrition? What is the cost to society of smoking? Of drinking? Billions of pounds in the form of NHS expenditure - a wide range of possible conditions including diabetes, angina, cirrhosis I could go on and on. Then also, anti-social behaviour and vandalism, perhaps missing out on good education, disability and therefore unemployment, passive smoking.

What about the impact on the person's relatives (in terms of passive smoking, time spent in hospital and/or providing paid/unpaid care, the loss of a premature death etc.)

These things don't only affect the people who do them.

I'm not saying that doctors (and everyone else) should publically judge the overweight, the smokers and the heavy drinkers - people make bad decisions, where does it end if doctors start putting people down for every flaw? I just think it's silly to assume that you can do any crap you want to your body as long as you're alright with the personal consequences. What about the society?
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
You think people need to change. For some reason you think you have the authority to say what's acceptable and what isn't. People like you piss me off.

I have the right to say whatever I damn well like you frightful man you.

Quick Reply