The Student Room Group

Do people have the moral 'right' to call each other fat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Iron Lady
Do you work for the health industry by any chance?

lol, soon hopefully, just need to meet the offer.
Reply 201
Original post by Pride
On the TV, people mostly see people with perfect bodies in perfect proportion. Blemishes airbrushed out, people build up an idea that everyone should look a certain way.

When I was a young girl (which wasn't too long ago, late 1990s-early 2000s - so the media was present like it is now), I looked to role models such as my mother, to realise that. It doesn't take a genius to work that out (not to undermine my intellectual capacity, of course). People know that people reflected in the media are supposed to look like that (see films with millionaires etc., only an idiot would think that's how everyone lives or ought to be, unless they want that). So they're not going to think "oh I'm so ugly because I don't look like x celebrity", they'll see what features they do have and work on that. You overestimate the role of the media, most people pay it very little attention.
Reply 202
People have a freedom of expression! Although they can technically say that and use the argument of free speech, it can be seen as rude to make such comments, so I think its better to avoid. Sometimes as jokes its fine though. depends on the person you're making the comment to, how well you know them?
Reply 203
Original post by Pride
lol, soon hopefully, just need to meet the offer.

So you want to ban smoking, drinking and taking drugs, just because a few idiots abuse these substances?

Just so you know, I do not take drugs, as I don't want those substances in my body, I do not smoke, but when I drink it's in moderation.

I just stand up for freedom and the individual to know when they're harming others.
You know, I've recently lost a bit of weight, all from improving my diet and exercise. I feel much better for it, more confident, happy - it will improve when I get down to my target weight.

Know what pushed me to do it? Me. When people gave me judgemental looks, it made me want to lock myself in my room and just stuff my face even more.

In my degree, we sometimes have to tell women that they need to lose weight, not just for their benefit but for that of their unborn baby. We need to learn to judge, without being judgmental. There's a HUGE difference.

So, you can have whatever opinion you want, but if you can't put it across in a civil, helpful manner, then you're better off keeping it to yourself as it could well do more harm than good.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 205
Call a spade a spade.
Reply 206
Original post by Goody2Shoes-x
Know what pushed me to do it? Me. When people gave me judgemental looks, it made me want to lock myself in my room and just stuff my face even more.

This, this, this, this.

The smug nannies think they are helping, but they are wrong.
Reply 207
Original post by Yawn11
Call a spade a spade.

Then don't make a big deal of it.
Why do you want everyone to be just like you?

Politicians shouldn't be involved in banking, so the industry will decide. Why does it matter if bonuses are large, if they do the job, then so what? Other occupations will be paid on the skills.

There isn't an evil corrupt government against you.

what does it matter? why should they have bonuses of 1 million + when in all likelihood they have done nothing to earn it?
Reply 209
In case people want or need to know: I have a "big build" (broad shoulders etc), but fat isn't in the wrong places.

But I'm not going to change unless I want to.

/end soppy girl power. :woo:
People have the right to air any opinion they wish and morality is subjective anyway. I'm a huge advocate of people speaking their mind, I certainly always do.

I'm a fat guy but it doesn't bother me when people say it or make fun of me over it, because it is kinda my own fault at the end of the day!
Reply 211
Original post by MrHappy_J
what does it matter? why should they have bonuses of 1 million + when in all likelihood they have done nothing to earn it?

The same could be said for footballers: kicking a ball about a pitch all day? But ultimately, it's on demand and supply, not necessarily "fair" or "right", but it's the nature of the industry.
Original post by CaptainDudeson
Contrary to popular belief I do not go around calling people fat. I don't think that I am above others because I am slimmer than them, I think I'm above others because I have enough self control to not be fat.

What you fail to understand is that some people place their values in other areas.
Reply 213
Original post by IanDangerously
People have the right to air any opinion they wish and morality is subjective anyway. I'm a huge advocate of people speaking their mind, I certainly always do.

I'm a fat guy but it doesn't bother me when people say it or make fun of me over it, because it is kinda my own fault at the end of the day!

Being a fat isn't a crime so it's not your fault. There isn't an agreed definition or conception of how others should look. Tell 'em to get stuffed!
Something that has increasingly been bothering me is when people need to comment on each others weight. For example, "are you watching your weight?", "don't eat chocolate, think of the calories", or even more offensively... "you would be more attractive if it wasn't for the size". :mad: (Just because someone is big it doesn't mean they're automatically going to be ugly).

The only concerns which I think are valid: 1) you're going out with the person, 2) you're funding their eating or food, or 3) genuine health concern.

Other than that, KEEP YOUR NOSE OUT OF OTHER PEOPLE'S BUSINESS. :haughty:

EDIT: I don't oppose their freedom of speech to say it, but I don't think they should expect others to accept it or change to suit them.

so your a tubby then
Reply 215
Original post by alex5455
so your a tubby then

*looks at signature* At least I don't have security issues.
The same could be said for footballers: kicking a ball about a pitch all day? But ultimately, it's on demand and supply, not necessarily "fair" or "right", but it's the nature of the industry.

I also agree that footballers should be paid much less. along with some actors and other "celebrities".
just because it's the nature of the industry doesn't make it right. that money could do a lot of good elsewhere.
*looks at signature* At least I don't have security issues.

apart from having such a tough time over the death of an evil old hag you never met :smile:
Reply 218
Something that has increasingly been bothering me is when people need to comment on each others weight. For example, "are you watching your weight?", "don't eat chocolate, think of the calories", or even more offensively... "you would be more attractive if it wasn't for the size". :mad: (Just because someone is big it doesn't mean they're automatically going to be ugly).

The only concerns which I think are valid: 1) you're going out with the person, 2) you're funding their eating or food, or 3) genuine health concern.

Other than that, KEEP YOUR NOSE OUT OF OTHER PEOPLE'S BUSINESS. :haughty:

EDIT: I don't oppose their freedom of speech to say it, but I don't think they should expect others to accept it or change to suit them.

I don't fancy having my morals questioned when it comes to fat people. They are fat.

Fat = greed

Greed = sin
Reply 219
Original post by alex5455
apart from having such a tough time over the death of an evil old hag you never met :smile:

The fact that you celebrate the death of a woman you never met either (haha) makes you a nasty person. Where's your compassion (oops - sorry, I forgot that compassion only exists when it's from the smug left).

Quick Reply

Latest