The Student Room Group

The coefficient of x^3 in the expansion of (2+x)(3-ax)^4 is 30. Find the values of th

The coefficient of x^3 in the expansion of (2+x)(3-ax)^4 is 30. Find the values of the constant a. I understand but do not know how to do it. Working would be appreciated!!
Reply 1
Original post by SophieL1996
The coefficient of x^3 in the expansion of (2+x)(3-ax)^4 is 30. Find the values of the constant a. I understand but do not know how to do it. Working would be appreciated!!

Yes, working would be appreciated.

What have you done?
Reply 2
I expanded using the x^3. amd then timesd it by (2+x)
Reply 3
errr wut?

First ignoring the first set of brackets, expand the (3-ax)^4 up to the x^4.

Simplify.

Multiply each term with (2+x).

Simplify.

Find coefficient of x^2.

===================

No one will show you working without you showing us that you have made a valid attempt at the question and are genuinely stuck with the question and is interested in finding out how to do the question instead of wanting to finish your homework as soon as possible.
Reply 4
I expanded using the x^3. amd then timesd it by (2+x)

Show us?
Reply 5
Original post by Dalilsp
errr wut?

First ignoring the first set of brackets, expand the (3-ax)^4 up to the x^4.

Simplify.

Multiply each term with (2+x).

Simplify.

Find coefficient of x^2.

===================

No one will show you working without you showing us that you have made a valid attempt at the question and are genuinely stuck with the question and is interested in finding out how to do the question instead of wanting to finish your homework as soon as possible.

Thanks I will have a try, and it is not homework, I am revising questions that I am not very good at and need help with.
Reply 6
Original post by BabyMaths
Show us?

No need. Someone private messaged me showing all the working. :biggrin:
Reply 7
No need. Someone private messaged me showing all the working. :biggrin:

And you think they helped you. :facepalm:
In maths, we don't learn via memorising answers but knowing how the steps interlink with each other and applying it in various different situations.

Your call though, OP.
Reply 9
Original post by SecretDuck
In maths, we don't learn via memorising answers but knowing how the steps interlink with each other and applying it in various different situations.

Your call though, OP.

sorry who was that a reply to ?
sorry who was that a reply to ?

You, OP.
Reply 11
Original post by SecretDuck
You, OP.

Fo. All I needed was a little help and everyone is getting bitchy about it. Pathetic.
Fo. All I needed was a little help and everyone is getting bitchy about it. Pathetic.

I always attempt the question and then ask for help if I'm really stuck and show all my working. Then I'm corrected on any mistakes.

This is how the maths forum works :smile:
Reply 13
Don't blame us -> you never showed any working, hence showing no proof that you actually wanted help rather than a quick answer. Its usually the etiquette that decent people show on this forum when asking for help.
Reply 14
Who really gives a damn about negative ratings?

Quick Reply

Latest