The Student Room Group

**[BOSTON BOMBINGS SUSPECTS]** - MIT Shooting|Shootouts And Explosions|Officer Dead

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LLion
I... I went to school with the living suspect. I didn't know him personally, but I was close to people who did. Wow.

Wow, that must be shocking. It's always alarming that someone that you've seen and vaguely know in school could do something as terrible as these acts.

A few of his "friends" spoke to local and main media and said he was a relatively "calm" guy and that they were surprised that he would commit such acts...
I think they have got him.
Original post by AgentSushi
I think they have got him.

Source?

The cops thought they had him several times - turned out to be misguided and false.

I'm not seeing anything on local or main...
Reply 163
Possible outcomes

1) Suspect is shot dead by the police. This would not be good because then we would not know why they did it (unless there is evidence found in their house etc). No suffering for their crimes and no justice. Also, no opportunity to find accomplices.
2) Suspect is captured alive. This is the best option for the security forces, but how? There were reports his brother was wearing a bomb vest so I don't know how he could be captured.
3) Further attacks. Suspect has explosives and weapons. Further casualties. This would give away his location at least, but would still be on the run.
4) Suspect gives himself up. His uncle has asked for this on TV
5) Suspect escapes forever

Whatever happens he must be running out of food, energy and time. It's quite unbelievable that he hasn't been caught already. The only way I can see him surviving is with the help of somebody, but this would require communication which would be monitored.

Any thoughts on where he is and how he is surviving?
Reply 164
I have to say, this all seems a bit like bungling from the US forces here.

One Islamist, 19 years old and a whole city is on lock down for a day?

The Israelis sweep up these guys all the time and have the traffic running within 20mins.
Reply 165
Original post by HumanSupremacist
Wow, that must be shocking. It's always alarming that someone that you've seen and vaguely know in school could do something as terrible as these acts.

A few of his "friends" spoke to local and main media and said he was a relatively "calm" guy and that they were surprised that he would commit such acts...

I never met him, but I never heard anything negative about him. I'm sure they're being truthful about it; CRLS (the high school we went to) is a place that will not tolerate any sadistic behavior(/speech) as has become apparent in him now.
Source?

The cops thought they had him several times - turned out to be misguided and false.

I'm not seeing anything on local or main...

Might be another false alarm, on the police radio it said they had the suspect on the ground in the prone position.
Original post by Chindits
I have to say, this all seems a bit like bungling from the US forces here.

One Islamist, 19 years old and a whole city is on lock down for a day?

The Israelis sweep up these guys all the time and have the traffic running within 20mins.

Original post by MTR_10
Possible outcomes

1) Suspect is shot dead by the police. This would not be good because then we would not know why they did it (unless there is evidence found in their house etc). No suffering for their crimes and no justice. Also, no opportunity to find accomplices.
2) Suspect is captured alive. This is the best option for the security forces, but how? There were reports his brother was wearing a bomb vest so I don't know how he could be captured.
3) Further attacks. Suspect has explosives and weapons. Further casualties. This would give away his location at least, but would still be on the run.
4) Suspect gives himself up. His uncle has asked for this on TV
5) Suspect escapes forever

Whatever happens he must be running out of food, energy and time. It's quite unbelievable that he hasn't been caught already. The only way I can see him surviving is with the help of somebody, but this would require communication which would be monitored.

Any thoughts on where he is and how he is surviving?

You guys still think it's a lone wolf?

He's eluded the cops for so long now - personally, I believe he and his brother were never working alone. I think they might have been part of a cell. Whether that cell had any religious elements to it remains to be seen...
Original post by LLion
I never met him, but I never heard anything negative about him. I'm sure they're being truthful about it; CRLS (the high school we went to) is a place that will not tolerate any sadistic behavior(/speech) as has become apparent in him now.

Amazing how someone can seemingly abruptly change - maybe he was strongly influenced by something/someone...? :dontknow:

You alright? :smile:
LOUD NOISES!

People need to stop enjoying this so much.
Reply 170
Amazing how someone can seemingly abruptly change - maybe he was strongly influenced by something/someone...? :dontknow:

You alright? :smile:

Yeah, I'm curious to know what caused him to do all this.
I'll be okay. It's just rattling that I knew him...
Reply 171
Original post by Chindits
I wouldn't.

She'll be of the same extremist ilk.

Very rarely do the parents genuinely not know or realise.

He's detonated a bomb injuring hundreds. He's shot dead a cop. He's chucked grenades and explosives at cops. He's laced streets and buildings with explosives. He's shot at and injured cops (15 cops admitted to local hospitals in aftermath of Watertown shootout) and he's also wearing a suicide bomb vest and is injured. And on top of that, his brother is dead (and he won't be too pleased about that).

I highly doubt he's going to give himself up.

That's a lot of weapons. Wonder how/ where he got them?
Reply 172
Original post by MTR_10
That's a lot of weapons. Wonder how/ where he got them?

he lives in america dude...
Reply 173
Original post by FCI

Ok, so he's got guns..., but grenades, explosives, suicide vest....
Original post by FCI

Yes, but Massachusetts isn't big on guns like other states. And I'm sure many of his weapons will be illegal, even in gun-available states. What's more - they had explosives and grenades. They had to be working with others - in his "safe house" as well, it was reported on the police radio that a "rocket" had been found in the basement - whether that was an RPG or not is uncertain....
Original post by LLion
Yeah, I'm curious to know what caused him to do all this.
I'll be okay. It's just rattling that I knew him...

Hmmmm....yeah, maybe he had a time of weakness and a big impression was made on him? Someone did say in a new interview that his older brother was a little radical and had a big influence on his younger brother (i.e. the current suspect), so maybe his older brother is a major cause in the change?

We don't know yet - but I fear we will never know fully his motives if he's gunned down by cops or tries to go out all guns blazing :s

Did you manage to get any sleep (it's like late morning/early afternoon there now?)? :tongue:
Reply 176
You guys still think it's a lone wolf?

He's eluded the cops for so long now - personally, I believe he and his brother were never working alone. I think they might have been part of a cell. Whether that cell had any religious elements to it remains to be seen...

How would he communicate with them? The security forces shut down access into and out of the city, the mobile phone networks and would be monitoring it anyway, so any communication would be tracked.
Reply 177
Hmmmm....yeah, maybe he had a time of weakness and a big impression was made on him? Someone did say in a new interview that his older brother was a little radical and had a big influence on his younger brother (i.e. the current suspect), so maybe his older brother is a major cause in the change?

We don't know yet - but I fear we will never know fully his motives if he's gunned down by cops or tries to go out all guns blazing :s

Did you manage to get any sleep (it's like late morning/early afternoon there now?)? :tongue:

Mmm. That seams like the most likely. I'm worried about him potentially committing suicide in order to avoid arrest/prison/etc though.

I got 4 hours. 6 am - 10 am. It's currently 4pm here.
Reply 178
Original post by LLion
Mmm. That seams like the most likely. I'm worried about him potentially committing suicide in order to avoid arrest/prison/etc though.

if hes a genuine indoctinrated islamist, theres no doubt he will be killing/blowing himslef up. Even if he werent i doubt he;d relish the inevitable usa 'interrogations'
Original post by MTR_10
How would he communicate with them? The security forces shut down access into and out of the city, the mobile phone networks and would be monitoring it anyway, so any communication would be tracked.

I really could not tell you - after all, it is all speculation on my part.

However, what we do know, is that he's managed to elude thousands of LEOs for many hours and has effectively grounded the city to halt and caused the cancellation of large events like tonight's hockey game. So he's certainly got some sort of advantage that we can't quite be certain of yet.

Original post by LLion

I disagree. I don't think he would commit suicide by himself - due to the nature of the recent events, he might want to go out guns blazing. Then again, maybe his confidence/adrenaline-fueled bravery has since dissipated after his brother was captured and then died.

But all is still pretty quiet in Boston....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending