The Student Room Group

MPhil in Management - University of Cambridge 2013-2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by propell
Hi guys,

new on here!!:smile:

Is there a facebook group for offer holders of the Mphil in Management?

Also, I am hesitating between the Cambridge MPhil in Management and LSE, does anybody have any views? Pros and cons between the two?

Here is my input

LSE
-money making machine
-alumni with dictators' sons, failed Greek politicians, super rich students
-Glamorous London

Typical conversation

A: hey, where are you studying?
B: lse
A: rich

(more about lse here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=949723)

Cambridge
-Europe 's top university
-cheaper
-much smaller class

Typical conversation

A: hey where are you studying?
B: Cambridge
A: wow

Seriously, if you are even considering go to lse. They will be delighted to take your money.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 121
Hey y'all - I started a facebook group for offer holders. Here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/149769375195308/

I think that works - if not let me know. Best of luck everyone!
Reply 122
Original post by sj27
By Cambridge standards, not particularly: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/camdata/gpmgt.html

Seeing as their FAQ says they only start communicating from late March, it's possible they don't start looking at applications as early as some other departments? :dontknow:

You do have to remember that being one of a few courses that demands a 1st class degree from its students however, it does rely on quite a few not getting the grades to attend. Certainly that's what we were told this year, because our class was uncharacteristically large. Apparently they normally intend for around 10% of applicants getting the offer and the grades required.
Reply 123
Original post by Hanshen
You do have to remember that being one of a few courses that demands a 1st class degree from its students however, it does rely on quite a few not getting the grades to attend. Certainly that's what we were told this year, because our class was uncharacteristically large. Apparently they normally intend for around 10% of applicants getting the offer and the grades required.

Yeah but... I still don't think that's particularly competitive by Cambridge standards, as per the question. Sure it's not the easiest course to get into, but not the hardest either. And the question was about offers, as I recall - 25-28% of applicants being made an offer seems pretty run of the mill for popular courses? Again, context - not saying it's easy, but I don't think there are a lot of Cam courses that are (especially with more courses having firsts being given as conditions even when the minimum on the website is 2:1).
Reply 124
Original post by sj27
Yeah but... I still don't think that's particularly competitive by Cambridge standards, as per the question. Sure it's not the easiest course to get into, but not the hardest either. And the question was about offers, as I recall - 25-28% of applicants being made an offer seems pretty run of the mill for popular courses? Again, context - not saying it's easy, but I don't think there are a lot of Cam courses that are (especially with more courses having firsts being given as conditions even when the minimum on the website is 2:1).

Meh, you're quite right, it's not the *most* competitive course. I'm just trying to make people feel a little better. :P

Besides, almost everyone who applies is a great applicant so to those with offers it's a bloody impressive achievement (the highest requirement MiM in Europe as they keep ranting on about). Equally those who don't get an offer, bear in mind that it's bloody stiff competition. Half the time the criteria for selection just boggle the mind, it's just as much luck as it is anything else I'd say.
Original post by killer1992
if I apply as a business major, will I be rejected for 100% ?

I really would like to do this master!

???? Any one with a business background ?
Original post by killer1992
???? Any one with a business background ?

I have an accounting and finance background.
Reply 127
business graduates are rejected I'm afraid. We do have PPE and pure economists though.
Original post by candycrush
I have an accounting and finance background.

What's your bachelor exactly called ?
Reply 129
I just called the department since I have a deadline for one of my offers, I was told that by next week all the applications will have been processed and the status updated on the website. Fingers crossed...
Reply 130
Original post by mmk6891
I just called the department since I have a deadline for one of my offers, I was told that by next week all the applications will have been processed and the status updated on the website. Fingers crossed...

Thanks for the update! But it's by the END of next week or what?
Reply 131
Original post by verger
Thanks for the update! But it's by the END of next week or what?

I didn't really understand she was saying between this and next week but then I said "so I should expect to receive an update on the tracker by the end of next week right?" and she confirmed.

I am really hoping to get something this week though, I have a deadline for an offer in a week for my second choice and I'd hate to accept it whilst waiting for Cambridge... I also wonder whether the "next week" was referred to bogs or offer/rejection.
Reply 132
Original post by mmk6891

Thanks god...! Fingers crossed
Original post by mmk6891

thanks so much! :wink:
Reply 134
So nervous haha! Although also slightly dismayed I wasn't accepted in the first batch (hit hard at the ego :P)
Reply 135
Still no news..guess little hope.. It seems that very few rejections have been made yet, but in batch in a week. Ready to get rejected anytime now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 136
still no news too. They state that the rejections are coming before the acceptances... but im not sure if this is correct.

The majority of Offers of Admission are made in February and March and if you have applied before the general funding deadlines in December you should receive notification of the outcome of your application during these months.

If your application is unsuccessful, you may receive notification of the outcome earlier. This is not because your application was not fully considered; this is because the process for establishing all the components of an offer is time consuming.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 137
no news either.... I mean I'd at least expect our statuses to get instantly rejected or go to bogs this week...
Reply 138
Original post by mmk6891
no news either.... I mean I'd at least expect our statuses to get instantly rejected or go to bogs this week...

The department is in the middle of exams at the moment. It could potentially be a bit slow. Don't worry guys/girls.
Reply 139
Original post by Hanshen
The department is in the middle of exams at the moment. It could potentially be a bit slow. Don't worry guys/girls.

The problem are the deadlines to accept offers with other universities.. if I don't get a response by friday I'll have to call them again:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest