The Student Room Group

Do people have the moral 'right' to call each other fat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by NessEB
I don't fancy having my morals questioned when it comes to fat people. They are fat.

Fat = greed

Greed = sin

It's also a sin to bully.
Original post by Iron Lady
Being a fat isn't a crime so it's not your fault. There isn't an agreed definition or conception of how others should look. Tell 'em to get stuffed!

logic fail :facepalm:

it is to a large extent.
Reply 222
Original post by MrHappy_J
logic fail :facepalm:

it is to a large extent.

Yes it's someone's responsibility if they're fat, but it shouldn't carry negative overtones, like they need to apologise for anyone (which being at fault implies). How is being fat a crime?
The fact that you celebrate the death of a woman you never met either (haha) makes you a nasty person. Where's your compassion (oops - sorry, I forgot that compassion only exists when it's from the smug left).

where was her compassion for the lives she ruined? the jobs she destroyed? the people affected by the financial crisis caused by her deregulation?
Original post by Robbie242
Indeed right. You did come across very malicious in your first few posts but I think you mean well, those equal signs I disagree with but I do understand 'some of your later posts' but not all of them. I know I feel stupid for making stupid assumptions and forgetting that UAE is a country. Right indeed.

I appreciate you being reasonable and for the record, I do not berate people in the street for being fat but I do feel that it's not a good thing.
Reply 225
Original post by CaptainDudeson
I appreciate you being reasonable and for the record, I do not berate people in the street for being fat but I do feel that it's not a good thing.

See this is would've being a much more reasonable approach in the start, first post came across malicious but your later ones speak the truth, even if it is harsh for some
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
What you fail to understand is that some people place their values in other areas.

So do I but one of those areas happens to be physical fitness.
So do I but one of those areas happens to be physical fitness.

Yeah and for some people it isn't. Doesn't mean you're better than them, just means you have different opinions on it
If the person is fat, then they are factually correct. There is always a 'right' to say something, if it is factually correct. However if it is a moral action, it depends whether they are saying it to be gratuitously rude, and to bully or humiliate that person; or whether they're saying it because they want to help.

Most people who call someone fat don't say it do their face, they talk about them behind their back. This is simply engaging in scurrilous gossip, and while they have a 'right' to do it, it serves no purpose other than their own entertainment. They are aware it will upset said person, even if it is factually correct, and therefore it's a mean think to do.

Those who do call someone fat to their face, in an attempt to bully them, have no interest in them leading a healthier life. In fact they are likely aware that if they incessantly bully said person, they are more likely to eat more, in an attempt to feel better. This is certainly a nasty thing to do.

People who are trying to help, like a well intentioned friend or family member, will broach the topic subtly. Although the person is probably well aware they are fat, especially if they have gained so much weight that someone has decided an intervention is required, this seems like a moral action, because they are attempting to action in that person's best interests. There is likely no personal enjoyment or satisfaction, indeed they will probably feel very uncomfortable and upset doing it.
Yeah and for some people it isn't. Doesn't mean you're better than them, just means you have different opinions on it

Rubbish.
Rubbish.

So because your priorities are in a different place, you are somehow superior? I love art and devote a lot of my time to it, does that make me better than those who don't? Of course not. People like different things, deal with it.
It's not a case of "be slim then you'll be happy, gorgeous and eternally happy... or lose out you poor, overweight sod" (lose out on what exactly, the last time I checked there isn't an agreement on how you need to look for success, relationships, jobs, etc.) and they do not need to explain themselves to you.

Erm, actually you are wrong. It has been proven that being fat is simply unattractive and before you say "but fat people get partners!"...partners that look like what exactly?
No, I don't care for their reason, all I care about is that they have done it. They have chosen to take a poor option in life out of laziness, gluttony, emotional insecurity, or any other negative trait. All that is important is that they have shown negative traits about who they are.

Then they pay for it themselves? Stop making things up to justify your aggressively-anti-anything-you're-not stance.

:facepalm2:
So you are saying that the obese minimum wage worker who has had hundreds of consultations, been on meds for 40 years should now be excluded from the NHS?
Good. I couldn't agree more. No one should pay for someones slow self inflicted problems.
So because your priorities are in a different place, you are somehow superior? I love art and devote a lot of my time to it, does that make me better than those who don't? Of course not. People like different things, deal with it.

So you're telling me that fat people are fat because they like fatness? Christall****ingmighty.
So you're telling me that fat people are fat because they like fatness? Christall****ingmighty.

No, I'm saying that some people don't place the same emphasis on being thin as you do. They might not care or see it as a lower priority.
No, I'm saying that some people don't place the same emphasis on being thin as you do. They might not care or see it as a lower priority.

That's true and it is an inferior way of thinking.
That's true and it is an inferior way of thinking.

In your opinion. What you're not getting is that your opinion isn't fact. Neither way of thinking is better than the other.
In your opinion. What you're not getting is that your opinion isn't fact. Neither way of thinking is better than the other.

Thinking that one should take care of oneself is a better way of thinking than saying ''oh *******s to good health I'll just be a fat bastard instead''
My main concern with weight and size in this country, is the fact that an unhealthy lifestyle is being promoted!

Yes, I agree - people don't deserve abuse for being a certain size. But don't say that being 'big' or 'fat' is a positive - it isn't and it's one of the worst messages to promote to the next generation.

People are so preoccupied with the physical realities of our world (naturally), that they fail to see the main reason being huge is a bad thing. It's nothing to do with dress sizes, and attractiveness - but just pure health.

Your body is practically the only one thing in this world that of which you truly own, and you only get one. It's not a good idea to destroy it, and then try to convince others that 'I'm happy with my size'.

Yes, you might be happy with your size, but are your organs happy with it?
Thinking that one should take care of oneself is a better way of thinking than saying ''oh *******s to good health I'll just be a fat bastard instead''

Again in your opinion. Some might say being a decent person instead of an arrogant **** is a better way of thinking, but obviously not all agree.
Again in your opinion. Some might say being a decent person instead of an arrogant **** is a better way of thinking, but obviously not all agree.

Steady...:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest