The Student Room Group

UK-German Connection Scholarship

Scroll to see replies

Original post by languagenerd
Oh, awesome, that'll be great! I've never been.
I feel like that now, with my French, although French was always my strongest language... just goes to show what a different a teacher can make :s-smilie: I've started Spanish from scratch this year as I couldn't do GCSE at my (rubbish) school, but it is pretty confusing with French!
And, yeah, definitely hoping to do French + German at uni, or maybe Spanish too - what are you hoping to study? :biggrin:

Oh definitely, my as teacher for German does anything to help but its a shame not all teachers are like that! Wow! Are you doing Spanish as level from scratch? My schools pretty good but language teachers for French are a bit up in the air at the moment! And me too, French and German I hope with possibility of ab initio Italian - I'm just intrigued by the language, the divine comedy and such :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, it is a shame - I miss my GCSE French teacher :/ Yep, I must be crazy! :wink: I originally was going to do GCSE but it didn't fit with my timetable, so I got offered AS or nothing. That sounds great :biggrin: It's nice to know that other people doing multiple languages exist! I'd like to pick up a new language, too, but I think maybe I should concentrate on the three at the moment... Italian sounds like a really beautiful language, though, and I expect a lot easier to pick up with French :smile:
Reply 22
Mm, it's pretty stressful at times... don't know what I want to drop next year. Wow, that's amazing!! I'm sure you'll be fine :biggrin: I'm scared about the oral, too, especially the discussion at the end on two random topics, I hope they don't catch me out with tricky questions :s-smilie: Are you planning to do languages at uni too?

Yeah, Spanish and German ideally... and yeah, I find the problems not language any more, it's actually knowing what to say. Like in my mock, I got asked "Por qué se divorcian las parejas más que antes?". It's a question I could easily answer with Spanish, just I drew a blank and couldn't think of what to say in English so I could convert it :P
Reply 23
Yeah, it is a shame - I miss my GCSE French teacher :/ Yep, I must be crazy! :wink: I originally was going to do GCSE but it didn't fit with my timetable, so I got offered AS or nothing. That sounds great :biggrin: It's nice to know that other people doing multiple languages exist! I'd like to pick up a new language, too, but I think maybe I should concentrate on the three at the moment... Italian sounds like a really beautiful language, though, and I expect a lot easier to pick up with French :smile:

I must ask, I've never studied French in my life :P Which is weird for a linguist as EVERYONE does French. Am I missing out on something? I don't why, I've just never been inclined to learn it

Me too, I think we get a new one next year though so hopefully I will do better at a2! Wow, have you found it really similar to French in terms of grammar? I've never thought of doing Spanish but it does seem a lovely language! Haha yes there are other crazy people doing multiple languages!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Morgenmuffel96
Me too, I think we get a new one next year though so hopefully I will do better at a2! Wow, have you found it really similar to French in terms of grammar? I've never thought of doing Spanish but it does seem a lovely language! Haha yes there are other crazy people doing multiple languages!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, hopefully :smile: Unfortunately I'm stuck with the same teachers... A bit similar - some verbs are pretty similar, like comprender, some forms of ir/aller etc, and nouns are a lot easier to guess in Spanish, I think. But Spanish has too many past tenses! I still keep making mistakes on the preterite... :s-smilie: I'd definitely recommend Spanish, though :smile:
Original post by Stanners95
I must ask, I've never studied French in my life :P Which is weird for a linguist as EVERYONE does French. Am I missing out on something? I don't why, I've just never been inclined to learn it

I find that too, that you know how to say something in the language but faced with a question on the spot... it can be hard to answer well! Like the other day in German when I had a question like 'are we influenced by advertising in our choice of holidays?' and just froze :/

And, it does seem that most people who do two languages do French, but it's good to be different. I don't want to drop any of my languages, I like them all too much! :s-smilie:
Reply 27
I find that too, that you know how to say something in the language but faced with a question on the spot... it can be hard to answer well! Like the other day in German when I had a question like 'are we influenced by advertising in our choice of holidays?' and just froze :/

And, it does seem that most people who do two languages do French, but it's good to be different. I don't want to drop any of my languages, I like them all too much! :s-smilie:

Yeah, I don't regret not learning French. I had a choice of Chinese or French... and I chose Chinese (that turned out to be a HUGE mistake, never learn Chinese at school.... either teachers can speak chinese and not english, or english and not chinese, never both). French has never appealed to me and I find it weird. I would have thought seeing as I've studied Spanish, German and Italian, that French would be a pretty natural fit :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah, hopefully :smile: Unfortunately I'm stuck with the same teachers... A bit similar - some verbs are pretty similar, like comprender, some forms of ir/aller etc, and nouns are a lot easier to guess in Spanish, I think. But Spanish has too many past tenses! I still keep making mistakes on the preterite... :s-smilie: I'd definitely recommend Spanish, though :smile:

That's a pain! I prefer reading outside class just to improve languages without hardcore grammar studying haha! Ah I see, yeah I've looked at a bit of Spanish and it seems easier to figure out :smile: wish my school had more languages on offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
That's a pain! I prefer reading outside class just to improve languages without hardcore grammar studying haha! Ah I see, yeah I've looked at a bit of Spanish and it seems easier to figure out :smile: wish my school had more languages on offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's nowhere near as grammar intensive as a language like German... there's only really an extra past tense that's used a lot of the time, kinda like english (I made/ I was making). Besides, I think Spanish is kind of known for being easier than French and German. At least it is from what people tell me (I can't say, I never studied French :P )
(edited 10 years ago)
It's nowhere near as grammar intensive as a language like German... there's only really an extra past tense that's used a lot of the time, kinda like english (I made/ I was making). Besides, I think Spanish is kind of known for being easier than French and German. At least it is from what people tell me (I can't say, I never studied French :P )

Ah yeah undoubtedly German is one of the most grammar heavy languages to learn I think, and I've heard Spanish is easier than French though I've never studied it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
hey I have also been accepted on the AS 2 week course, i'm excited and it will look great on UCAS (i want to study german) but I am incredibly nervous! does anyone know when we found out which course we are on? i'm hoping to go from the 16th-30th so i'm in england for our results day :smile:
Original post by N3rdbu
hey I have also been accepted on the AS 2 week course, i'm excited and it will look great on UCAS (i want to study german) but I am incredibly nervous! does anyone know when we found out which course we are on? i'm hoping to go from the 16th-30th so i'm in england for our results day :smile:

Hiya I think we find out this next week by email? Not sure though! I'm hoping for the 16th-30th too as will be gutted to miss a family holiday otherwise!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
I just received an email saying i'm on the course from the 16th-30th phew! what course did you get?
Original post by N3rdbu
I just received an email saying i'm on the course from the 16th-30th phew! what course did you get?

Me too! So happy I can go on holiday with my family now and be here for results day! I also had my German oral exam today, was scary but think it was okay, I babbled a lot though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Me too! So happy I can go on holiday with my family now and be here for results day! I also had my German oral exam today, was scary but think it was okay, I babbled a lot though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

gutted I miss reading festival though but oh well :smile: mine's next wednesday I'm absolutely dreading it...what exam board do you do?
Original post by N3rdbu
gutted I miss reading festival though but oh well :smile: mine's next wednesday I'm absolutely dreading it...what exam board do you do?

Yeah I was gutted I couldn't go to Leeds tbh :') but I guess 2 weeks in Germany is about £30 more than 3/4 days of Leeds so it's a better deal haha! I'm on AQA, I found that it was difficult to try and lead the conversation on with my examiner which is something you can gain marks for conversation wide, but generally it was okay even though I was nervous and spoke quite fast!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Yeah I was gutted I couldn't go to Leeds tbh :') but I guess 2 weeks in Germany is about £30 more than 3/4 days of Leeds so it's a better deal haha! I'm on AQA, I found that it was difficult to try and lead the conversation on with my examiner which is something you can gain marks for conversation wide, but generally it was okay even though I was nervous and spoke quite fast!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had my mock today... jheeze it's stressful. Halfway through my first question my pen slipped out of my hand and flew across the room. Both me and my teacher just burst out laughing really awkwardly and i just couldn't concentrate for ages... I hope that doesn't happen in the real thing. I also said i had a 40 year old younger brother and completely forgot how to say fun :tongue: thank god i'm not until the 13th May!
I had my mock today... jheeze it's stressful. Halfway through my first question my pen slipped out of my hand and flew across the room. Both me and my teacher just burst out laughing really awkwardly and i just couldn't concentrate for ages... I hope that doesn't happen in the real thing. I also said i had a 40 year old younger brother and completely forgot how to say fun :tongue: thank god i'm not until the 13th May!

Ahaha oh we'll at least it was the mock! I said Tochter instead of Tante for a moment before correcting myself, that was the only spark of friendly recognition I got from the examiner actually haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahaha oh we'll at least it was the mock! I said Tochter instead of Tante for a moment before correcting myself, that was the only spark of friendly recognition I got from the examiner actually haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's cool you guys are going on the trip you wanted :smile: I'm going on the other one, 11th-25th to Brandenburg, is anyone else? Also, glad your exam went well - I have my first oral next Friday, aaah! :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending