The Student Room Group

Do people have the moral 'right' to call each other fat?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iron Lady
Yes it's someone's responsibility if they're fat, but it shouldn't carry negative overtones, like they need to apologise for anyone (which being at fault implies). How is being fat a crime?

If I fail an exam - it's my fault. I don't need to apologise to anyone and it certainly isn't a crime, but it is still my fault.
Reply 241
Original post by Jimbo1234
Erm, actually you are wrong. It has been proven that being fat is simply unattractive and before you say "but fat people get partners!"...partners that look like what exactly?
No, I don't care for their reason, all I care about is that they have done it. They have chosen to take a poor option in life out of laziness, gluttony, emotional insecurity, or any other negative trait. All that is important is that they have shown negative traits about who they are.

I am going to sound like a broken record, but for the last time, how does it affect you if someone else is fat? You don't have to look at them, speak to them, or think about them. Focus on yourself instead of taking the self-righteous attitude of "poor Ralph, he would be so much more handsome if it wasn't for the extra weight". It makes you sound shallow and obsessive.

Not everything in life is about relationships. If someone doesn't want to have a relationship, not your problem. If someone can't get into a relationship because people they have met think they are too heavy, not your problem.

"Poor option in life"... Nobody has explained to me how exactly being fat it is a crime, other than silly implications like "it's a crime against humanity". I would say poor options in life do include laziness (such as an unwillingness to work, not an unwillingness to conform to silly standards), cheating on your partner, not meeting up to your responsibilities as a parent, theft, etc etc. Nowhere in that list does "being fat" come into it, if it does, it makes me think you're a shallow person. When the problems of being fat are internal, so I dislike your paternal outlook.

:facepalm2:
So you are saying that the obese minimum wage worker who has had hundreds of consultations, been on meds for 40 years should now be excluded from the NHS?
Good. I couldn't agree more. No one should pay for someones slow self inflicted problems.

Well, no, they shouldn't because they're aware of the consequences. But some people like food and hate exercise - so what?
Reply 242
Original post by Spontogical
If I fail an exam - it's my fault. I don't need to apologise to anyone and it certainly isn't a crime, but it is still my fault.

Fault suggests you've done something wrong. In the case of being fat it is simply your responsibility.
Reply 243
Original post by Spontogical
My main concern with weight and size in this country, is the fact that an unhealthy lifestyle is being promoted!

Yes, I agree - people don't deserve abuse for being a certain size. But don't say that being 'big' or 'fat' is a positive - it isn't and it's one of the worst messages to promote to the next generation.

People are so preoccupied with the physical realities of our world (naturally), that they fail to see the main reason being huge is a bad thing. It's nothing to do with dress sizes, and attractiveness - but just pure health.

Your body is practically the only one thing in this world that of which you truly own, and you only get one. It's not a good idea to destroy it, and then try to convince others that 'I'm happy with my size'.

Yes, you might be happy with your size, but are your organs happy with it?

Their organs are inside their body, therefore their responsibility to look after and control. Sooner or later they may react, but that will hurt the person involved who made the choice.

Lastly, how is it being promoted? People are free agents over their mind and body, so they can easily resist the latest McDonald's or Coca Cola advertisements and opt for healthier options instead. Those industries are there to create wealth and they provide entertainment to their consumers. I don't take leisure in overeating but I don't see the issue with someone who looks forward to their weekly chocolate treat, just like how I look forward to my morning cup of tea.

Don't deny others that right just because you disapprove.
Reply 244
Original post by Aoide
Someone calls a person fat isn't telling them they aren't allowed to be fat- just that they don't like it. I may tell someone I don't like their t shirt, doesn't mean I don't think they have a right to wear it. If they locked you up and forced you to diet that is imposing themselves on others but just having a view on it isn't the same. While we live among others and while our actions affect one another people need to accept that we will judge each other and get over it. Everyone has their own values and people should be allowed to criticise one another. Your criticism of people voicing their dislike of fat people is a much of an attack as the people attacking fat people. They aren't fitting your view of right so you are telling them it is wrong.

I shouldn't have to shut up just because someone doesn't like what i'm saying.

'my freedom of speech doesn't end where your feelings start' pops up to mind
Fault suggests you've done something wrong. In the case of being fat it is simply your responsibility.

A matter of interpretation I guess.

Their organs are inside their body, therefore their responsibility to look after and control. Sooner or later they may react, but that will hurt the person involved who made the choice.

Lastly, how is it being promoted? People are free agents over their mind and body, so they can easily resist the latest McDonald's or Coca Cola advertisements and opt for healthier options instead. Those industries are there to create wealth and they provide entertainment to their consumers. I don't take leisure in overeating but I don't see the issue with someone who looks forward to their weekly chocolate treat, just like how I look forward to my morning cup of tea.

Don't deny others that right just because you disapprove.

I didn't mean from companies like McDonald's or Coca Cola. I mean from the individuals themselves. I don't believe that it is 'ok' or 'fine' to be overweight/fat - cause it is not. I feel the same with regards those who are underweight. It is not 'ok' or 'fine'.

It is not ok or fine because it is unhealthy I despise those who bully overweight/underweight people though. Always have always will.

For me.. health > attraction/looks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 246
I am going to sound like a broken record, but for the last time, how does it affect you if someone else is fat?

Well, no, they shouldn't because they're aware of the consequences. But some people like food and hate exercise - so what?

Ok. I'm playing the devils advocate as its so fun in this forum.

Alright, anyways yes it affects me and everyone if someone else is fat. Not explicitly, but implicitly. More fat people leads to a greater strain on the economy, and the health service.

The rising rates of obesity will cause plenty of strain on health serrvices in the future, as they have to fork out more money to accomodate these people. People will eventually have to be taxed more to support this. Look at these stupid taxes on junk food which are being suggested, and the steps being taken to stop kids getting fat are extremely strenuous.

One can compare this with other precautions such as seat belts, and smoking taxes (I realise that obesity doesn't result in imminent death, but its the principle behind it).

Now then I'm not suggesting that people insulting others for being fat it right. They don't even consider those factors. However it does affect people.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 247
Fat people are unhealthy, I used to be fat - I had high cholesterol, blood sugar levels and all the other negatives of being fat.

Denying it is just pathetic and you're a useless pathetic pos OP. Get a grip and instead of whining about it on the internet and trying to make up excuses fix yourself, I did it, I thought of myself as unattractive when I was fat and we all do thats why we all want to loose weight because you know those rolls aint lookin nice.
Why is inherently wrong?

Sorry?
Reply 249
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Sorry?

Why is being fat wrong?
I am going to sound like a broken record, but for the last time, how does it affect you if someone else is fat? You don't have to look at them, speak to them, or think about them. Focus on yourself instead of taking the self-righteous attitude of "poor Ralph, he would be so much more handsome if it wasn't for the extra weight". It makes you sound shallow and obsessive.

Not everything in life is about relationships. If someone doesn't want to have a relationship, not your problem. If someone can't get into a relationship because people they have met think they are too heavy, not your problem.

"Poor option in life"... Nobody has explained to me how exactly being fat it is a crime, other than silly implications like "it's a crime against humanity". I would say poor options in life do include laziness (such as an unwillingness to work, not an unwillingness to conform to silly standards), cheating on your partner, not meeting up to your responsibilities as a parent, theft, etc etc. Nowhere in that list does "being fat" come into it, if it does, it makes me think you're a shallow person. When the problems of being fat are internal, so I dislike your paternal outlook.

We've been over this.
It affects everyone because:
- You have to live with them
- Work with them
- Pay taxes which is affected by them as it is the NHS.
WHat part of that can't you follow? :curious:

Also what part of FACT do you not understand eg FACT - being overweight is attractive. :giggle:

My problem is that such a person will be whining and crying 24/7 and such people are hell to work with. Sure, I would not hire someone for being fat, but such things are apparently illegal.

Ah, so you fall into the "denial" group. You are in absolute denial of the massive health risks and lower standard of life when you are overweight. Ok, now lets all go dancing on the clouds then take rocket monkeys to the moon!
Reply 251
Original post by bottled
Ok. I'm playing the devils advocate as its so fun in this forum.

Alright, anyways yes it affects me and everyone if someone else is fat. Not explicitly, but implicitly. More fat people leads to a greater strain on the economy, and the health service.

The rising rates of obesity will cause plenty of strain on health serrvices in the future, as they have to fork out more money to accomodate these people. People will eventually have to be taxed more to support this. Look at these stupid taxes on junk food which are being suggested, and the steps being taken to stop kids getting fat are extremely strenuous.

One can compare this with other precautions such as seat belts, and smoking taxes (I realise that obesity doesn't result in imminent death, but its the principle behind it).

Now then I'm not suggesting that people insulting others for being fat it right. They don't even consider those factors. However it does affect people.

I think it benefits the economy: bakeries, fast food restaurants, convenience stores, chocolate and sweet manufacturers. They benefit from consumption. It creates jobs and profit.

Haha, let's pour money into the NHS and give smug nannying doctors jobs to tell everyone it's bad to overeat, smoke and drink, even thought it's their choice. No thanks. :hand:

It's stupid taxing people for consuming junk food, if they want to eat chocolate or crisps, they will eat them regardless of whether there are a few extra pennies to pay.
Why is being fat wrong?

I never said it was.

I just said people have the right to criticize whatever they like, from your weight to the color of your skin, to the dress you wear.
This includes getting in your face and being ass's about it as well.
i'm not ashamed to say this: when someone is fat, it annoys me. it really does.

because i feel it is only natural for we as animals to take care of our own bodies as we do our minds. where do we draw the line? i've never tried heroin, because i'm afraid it will wreck my body. similarly, i don't wake up every morning and stuff donuts into my body. because that will make me fat overtime, which is simply unattractive. conversely, physical health and fitness are attractive, as they are strongly indicative of a higher level of awareness and generally even intelligence as far as i'm concerned. Ricky Gervais was right.

i'd never verbally attack anyone like this for being fat, but i will be honest about the fact that i think it's ugly, and that i have no respect for people who try to defend their heavy bodies with excuses about "society's perception is flawed" and that gibberish. i'm having none of it. if you're fat, then please for your own sake just get off your lazy ass and do everything you can to get back in shape. if you're old, i'm cutting you slack. but if you're young, fat and complaining about it... oh how sad.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 254
Original post by Jimbo1234
We've been over this.
It affects everyone because:
- You have to live with them
- Work with them

And? Your parents and family have to live with your silly attitude.

- Pay taxes which is affected by them as it is the NHS.
WHat part of that can't you follow? :curious:

1. Fat people aren't a rare breed of people who do not pay taxes, some of whom are likely to be high earners and pay more tax than you do.
2. I am skeptical towards the NHS and this idea of paying into a society. But that's for another discussion.

Also what part of FACT do you not understand eg FACT - being overweight is attractive. :giggle:

That's your opinion, not fact. It's ridiculous that you would even try to pass it off as fact. As I have said, overweight people are still people and can have nice looking faces or hair - those features contribute towards attractiveness. Just as slim people, blondes, brunettes or red hairs are as well. Characteristics do not define. If the fat is out of proportion and clothes are unflattering, yes that is unattractive, but that's not an excuse to say everyone who is fat is unattractive. I've seen some very ugly slim people... Weren't you taught that people come in all shapes and sizes?

My problem is that such a person will be whining and crying 24/7 and such people are hell to work with.

Stop generalizing and that's bull**** reasoning, not everyone fat person whines and cries about being fat. If they were I'd be the first person to tell them to do something about it as they clearly want to change. But if they're happy, leave them alone.

Sure, I would not hire someone for being fat, but such things are apparently illegal.

As an employer you should be allowed to hire whoever the hell you want.

Ah, so you fall into the "denial" group. You are in absolute denial of the massive health risks and lower standard of life when you are overweight. Ok, now lets all go dancing on the clouds then take rocket monkeys to the moon!

As someone who is slightly bigger I happen to have a high standard of life. Even if I did hate my life, why would you need to intervene unless I asked you to?
Reply 255
Original post by ziziii
i'm not ashamed to say this: when someone is fat, it annoys me. it really does.

because i feel it is only natural for we as animals to take care of our own bodies as we do our minds. where do we draw the line? i've never tried heroin, because i'm afraid it will wreck my body. similarly, i don't wake up every morning and stuff donuts into my body. because that will make me fat overtime, which is simply unattractive. conversely, physical health and fitness are attractive, as they are strongly indicative of a higher level of awareness and generally even intelligence as far as i'm concerned. Ricky Gervais was right.

i'd never attack anyone of being fat, but i will be honest about the fact that i think it's ugly, and that i have no respect for people who try to defend their heavy bodies with excuses about "society's perception is flawed" and that gibberish. i'm having none of it. if you're fat, then please for your own sake just get off your lazy ass and do everything you can to get back in shape. if you're old, i'm cutting you slack. but if you're young, fat and complaining about it... oh how sad.

1. I don't care about what "society" says; it's not even a collective entity with similar views.
2. If someone is fat but not complaining and is happy, then you can disapprove and express free speech, but don't expect them to change just so they can be more like you.
Reply 256
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
I never said it was.

I just said people have the right to criticize whatever they like, from your weight to the color of your skin, to the dress you wear.
This includes getting in your face and being ass's about it as well.

Sure, I agree, that then applies to anything, not just being fat.
1. I don't care about what "society" says; it's not even a collective entity with similar views.
2. If someone is fat but not complaining and is happy, then you can disapprove and express free speech, but don't expect them to change just so they can be more like you.
1. i'm glad we agree about that :smile:

2. however, you may wish to reconsider your statement based on a misunderstanding. it's not so much that i want fat people to "change [in order to...] be more like [me]" as you suggested. in fact, it's not that at all. i just don't think it's morally right to be fat in the first place. this is for biological reasons; we as a species, just like any other, thrive on survival of the fittest to pass on genetic material that is well-adapted and that we consider 'attractive'. no matter how we try to bend social perceptions, ultimately, extra fat collected on the body in soft lumps is simply not attractive. on top of that, there are health hazards involved. it has been long established that being fat can be very unhealthy, and will likely pose dangers in the long run. why wreck your body that way? it's not natural or desirable, and it should be addressed appropriately as the epidemic that it is.
Reply 258
Guess.

you're a house
Reply 259
I think it benefits the economy: bakeries, fast food restaurants, convenience stores, chocolate and sweet manufacturers. They benefit from consumption. It creates jobs and profit.

Haha, let's pour money into the NHS and give smug nannying doctors jobs to tell everyone it's bad to overeat, smoke and drink, even thought it's their choice. No thanks. :hand:

It's stupid taxing people for consuming junk food, if they want to eat chocolate or crisps, they will eat them regardless of whether there are a few extra pennies to pay.

I really don't recall saying that taxing junk food was fat... i did say in my post it's stupid.

Moreover, let's not insult doctors. they're not being smug when they say 'what you're doing is unhealthy you should not do it' they aren't making you do anything, they are advising you. They're doing their job. y'know like how they may recommend you to not smoke, cause it may hurt your health, but

moreover everything has a side to it. Again, people are getting taxed unnecessarily , and the junk food tax may well reduce profits from businesses making it harder for more chains to open. (i'm no economist, just conjecture'. The more people making food, the more jobs of course, but that also results in more food wastage, more greenhouse gases released into the atmosphere, and more litter on the floor.

Quick Reply

Latest