The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Converse girl
I get it now :yep: thanks quite cool

But colour is very interesting :yep: For example, do we see the same colours? :holmes: Could what I see as blue, be what you see as green? :dontknow:

Also, what colours we seen depend on language :yep: I remember reading somewhere that languages that have more colours are better able to distinguish between colours. Where we see dark blue and light blue as two shades of one colour, Russians see them as two completely different colours.

And so in a test, some English and Russians speakers were given two sheets of paper with different shades of blue, and had to match which one of them matched the colour on a third sheet of paper. The Russian speakers were better at distinguishing between fine shades of blue that looked almost similar to English speakers. So Russians, thanks to their language, were better at distinguishing between different shades of the colour blue than us?

Original post by SecretDuck
Thank you. That makes me feel better. :smile:
:flower:

Glad I was able to make you feel better :h: :hat2:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by The Epicurean
But colour is very interesting :yep: For example, do we see the same colours? :holmes: Could what I see as blue, be what you see as green? :dontknow:

Also, what colours we seen depend on language :yep: I remember reading somewhere that languages that have more colours are better able to distinguish between colours. Where we see dark blue and light blue as two shades of one colour, Russians see them as two completely different colours.

And so in a test, some English and Russians speakers were given two sheets of paper with different shades of blue, and had to match which one of them matched the colour on a third sheet of paper. The Russian speakers were better at distinguishing between fine shades of blue that looked almost similar to English speakers. So Russians, thanks to their language, were better at distinguishing between different shades of the colour blue than us?

I asked my teacher that question she said there would be a slight difference but not a large difference because its our brain that is making these colours because we see light and our brain translates it so it depends on our experiences

So can we lead children to see colours completely differently?

Really that is so cool
But what if you are a painter or any artist that works with colour wouldn't you develop that skill as well

And you say your facts are boring pfft boring my backside

You know we technically live in a mute world :yep: well that is my opinion
(edited 11 years ago)

I'm Russian - so yeah it's true that we have more adjectives for colours. I think video games allowed me to distinguish between colours more than my language but then again it's not exactly my native language.
I asked my teacher that question she said there would be a slight difference but not a large difference because its our brain that is making these colours because we can only see the primary colours like red green ... So it's partly our imagination the other colours

Really that is so cool

And you say your facts are boring pfft boring my backside

You know we technically live in a mute world :yep: well that is my opinion

Well the differences wouldn't be that large, but large enough to notice a difference when a large sample of people are taken :yep: Russians on average will perform better than us :yep:

I'm Russian - so yeah it's true that we have more adjectives for colours. I think video games allowed me to distinguish between colours more than my language but then again it's not exactly my native language.

Ooh, you're Russian! :five:

Video games you say :holmes: I imagine they could be helpful as well :yep: I just find it interesting that a language could have that effect on someones ability to perceive a colour :holmes:
So if I decided to name ever shade of the colour blue red ect there would be a possibility I would be able to distinguish colour than some one who has a name for a few shades of red or blue

That is is really cool :yep:

Russian :awesome:
(edited 11 years ago)
So if I decided to name ever shade of the colour blue red ect there would be a possibility I would be able to distinguish colour than some one who has a name for a few shades of red or blue

That is is really cool :yep:

Russian :awesome:

I don't think so :no: I think it is influenced by the language you grow up speaking. Plus I think to name every shade is impossible. The human eye isn't capable of noticing every single shade :no:

Also, I don't know how true it is, but I heard that human peripheral vision (when you are looking straight ahead, the objects that appear to your side) is black and white only. So technically we all see partially in black and white without knowing :holmes:
I have been reading back on the interesting conversation on the eye. :yes:

I find the fact that people might see colours very differently interesting... :beard:

I like to think there are other colours that no-one has seen before, and try to imagine them. :holmes:
But I think we all know that's impossible due to the colour spectrum being so limited. :yep:
Original post by boumavilla
I have been reading back on the interesting conversation on the eye. :yes:

I find the fact that people might see colours very differently interesting... :beard:

I like to think there are other colours that no-one has seen before, and try to imagine them. :holmes:
But I think we all know that's impossible due to the colour spectrum being so limited. :yep:

Lol, I can't even remember how we got to the topic lol.

I thought bees could see more colour than us? :holmes: If that is the case, then there must be more colours out there that bees can see but humans can't :yep: In which case, you can therefore continue trying to imagine them :bigsmile:
I don't think so :no: I think it is influenced by the language you grow up speaking. Plus I think to name every shade is impossible. The human eye isn't capable of noticing every single shade :no:

Also, I don't know how true it is, but I heard that human peripheral vision (when you are looking straight ahead, the objects that appear to your side) is black and white only. So technically we all see partially in black and white without knowing :holmes:

Naaaaw :huff:
True :hmmm:

I see :beard: I don't know though I am gonna ask my bio teacher see what she has to say

I found this article first part quite interesting

http://www.assap.ac.uk/newsite/articles/Corner%20eye%20phenomena.html
(edited 11 years ago)
Lol, I can't even remember how we got to the topic lol.

I thought bees could see more colour than us? :holmes: If that is the case, then there must be more colours out there that bees can see but humans can't :yep: In which case, you can therefore continue trying to imagine them :bigsmile:

Not sure! :dontknow: :lol:

How can they see different colours though? In fact, don't they just see in UV rays or something? They can see the colour of the flowers they want VERY CLEARLY, so I don't know... :dontknow:

I shall continue imagining... :moon:
Tell me if you see the face
Tell me if you see the face

Nope :no: I'm trying but I can't see it :sad: Did you manage to see anything resembling a face?
I saw the face! :ahee:

It's facing towards the right of your screen! :yep:
Nope :no: I'm trying but I can't see it :sad: Did you manage to see anything resembling a face?

I think so but I am not that sure it's

Yeah i saw it on The right hand side
Well the differences wouldn't be that large, but large enough to notice a difference when a large sample of people are taken :yep: Russians on average will perform better than us :yep:

Ooh, you're Russian! :five:

Video games you say :holmes: I imagine they could be helpful as well :yep: I just find it interesting that a language could have that effect on someones ability to perceive a colour :holmes:

Russians have 12-13 A level equivalents and you have to study even PE until you're 18 :O
Plus the content is far more varied - History actually covers a bit of every country in the world, not just Russian. And its best uni Moscow State University is far more rigorous but rewarding as well. They have a cinema and a pool and many different international restaurants.

Kinda makes my uni look like a small farm in comparison :redface:
Russians have 12-13 A level equivalents and you have to study even PE until you're 18 :O
Plus the content is far more varied - History actually covers a bit of every country in the world, not just Russian. And its best uni Moscow State University is far more rigorous but rewarding as well. They have a cinema and a pool and many different international restaurants.

Kinda makes my uni look like a small farm in comparison :redface:

That is a lot of subjects to take at A-Level >_< But then I think it has its benefits. At 16, I had no idea what I wanted to do and had to somehow select a few related subjects. Having that many varied subjects would allow students to have more time to decide what they wish to pursue at university :yep:

Moscow State University does sound like a pretty awesome university :awesome: Although I am not a fan of Moscow :mmm: I've always felt it is a city not to be visited by foreign people :sad:
That is a lot of subjects to take at A-Level >_< But then I think it has its benefits. At 16, I had no idea what I wanted to do and had to somehow select a few related subjects. Having that many varied subjects would allow students to have more time to decide what they wish to pursue at university :yep:

Moscow State University does sound like a pretty awesome university :awesome: Although I am not a fan of Moscow :mmm: I've always felt it is a city not to be visited by foreign people :sad:

Damn :colonhash: better not bother learning Russian then if they don't like the looks of non white people :mmm:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Damn :colonhash: better not bother learning Russian then if they don't like the looks of non white people :mmm:

I never said Russians :no: Just from what I have heard, Moscow can be a bit dodgy >_< Russia is much larger than Moscow though :h:
I never said Russians :no: Just from what I have heard, Moscow can be a bit dodgy >_< Russia is much larger than Moscow though :h:

Where else is there to visit in Russia?:tongue:
Reply 899
Told you video games are good Z ^^^^ :colone:

Latest