The Student Room Group

Statistics question

Two dice are rolled. Given that there is at least one six, what is the probability that both are sixes?

The answer is 1/11. Can someone please explain how you come to this answer as i have no idea

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Its from a conditional probability worksheet
Reply 3
What can you get with two dice? How many of these situations have at least one 6, and how many have two 6s?

Original post by metaltron
The way I see it is you already have a 6. To get two sixes you must get a 6 on the second roll. This is P(get a six) on one die throw. However this does not give 1/11, so I'm not sure your answer is correct. Maybe somebody could confirm this.

Don't think so.
Reply 4
nope its a normal dice.. theres another question that goes by A red and a blue die are rolled. Given that there is at least one six, what is the probability that the red die is showing six? -- the answer is 6/11
Reply 5
Original post by FiGuev
nope its a normal dice.. theres another question that goes by A red and a blue die are rolled. Given that there is at least one six, what is the probability that the red die is showing six? -- the answer is 6/11

See my first post to get the answer for this too.
Reply 6
Original post by Slumpy
What can you get with two dice? How many of these situations have at least one 6, and how many have two 6s?

Don't think so.

Thank you for getting me out of a pickle. Hoping its fatigue after such a loooong hard day!
Reply 7
hang on I still dont understand
Reply 8
Original post by FiGuev
hang on I still dont understand

6*6 grid of possible results. How many squares have at least one 6? How many squares have 2 sixes?
Reply 9
ah i see
Reply 10
How would you have come to that answer using the formulas?
Reply 11
Original post by Slumpy
6*6 grid of possible results. How many squares have at least one 6? How many squares have 2 sixes?
please??
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by FiGuev

P(two sixesat least one six obtained)=P(2 sixes)P(at least 1 six)=P(2 sixes)1P(0 sixes)=1/3611/36 P(two \ sixes | at \ least \ one \ six \ obtained) = \frac{P(2 \ sixes)}{P(at \ least \ 1 \ six)} = \frac{P(2 \ sixes)}{1 - P(0 \ sixes)} = \frac{1/36}{11/36}
Reply 13
Original post by FiGuev

Depends what formulas you're talking about. You want P(two sixes|at least one six)=P(2 sixes)/P(at least one six), yes? Clearly the numerator is 1/36 - can you see how to calculate the denominator?
Reply 14
Original post by Slumpy
Depends what formulas you're talking about. You want P(two sixes|at least one six)=P(2 sixes)/P(at least one six), yes? Clearly the numerator is 1/36 - can you see how to calculate the denominator?

how do you calculate the denominator?
Reply 15
Original post by lar di da
how do you calculate the denominator?

See metaltron's post above mine.
Reply 16
Original post by Slumpy
See metaltron's post above mine.

I have, but i still dont get it. I haven't drawn out the 6*6 grid cause in an exam i just wouldn't' have time. how else would i work that there is at least one 6?
Reply 17
I have, but i still dont get it. I haven't drawn out the 6*6 grid cause in an exam i just wouldn't' have time. how else would i work that there is at least one 6?

Metaltron's post (literally right above the one you quoted) doesn't even mention a 6*6 grid. Denominator=1-P(0sixes)=1-P(1st dice isn't a 6)*P(2nd dice isn't a 6)

Edit - also, you'd never actually draw a 6*6 grid, you just need to think about it.
Reply 18
Original post by Slumpy
Metaltron's post (literally right above the one you quoted) doesn't even mention a 6*6 grid. Denominator=1-P(0sixes)=1-P(1st dice isn't a 6)*P(2nd dice isn't a 6)

Edit - also, you'd never actually draw a 6*6 grid, you just need to think about it.

Oh i see. Okay its getting late and my brain seems dead but is 1 - P(0 sixes) the only way to work out that there is at least 1 six?
Oh i see. Okay its getting late and my brain seems dead but is 1 - P(0 sixes) the only way to work out that there is at least 1 six?

Also never be afraid to draw a sample space diagram (the 6*6 grid) , they don't take as long as you think.

Quick Reply

Latest