The Student Room Group

BREAKING: Reports of multiple explosions at Boston Marathon leaving dozens wounded.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlexandrTheGreat
Watch the damn mic! Idiot.

what does that mean i thought we could listen to them anyway
Original post by pjm600
I'm aware, the PD could force UStream to take all of them offline. They mentioned shutting down a "downlink", I don't know what that is.

They're not talking about the scanners; "downlink" apparently refers to video feed from one of the choppers. I doubt that, after many hours, they're just finding out about the scanner.

Original post by iamgreatness

An open mic is one that's transmitting - so when they say "watch your mic", they're making officers aware that theirs are transmitting, and it interferes with communication.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Cll_ws
WATCH THE DAMN MIC! Christ!

"Okay that was accidental"....no excuse

i dont understand
Original post by pjm600
I'm aware, the PD could force UStream to take all of them offline.

They'd need a court order if Ustream is unwilling to comply.

They mentioned shutting down a "downlink", I don't know what that is.

I can't think of any technical means they'd have at their disposal. Maybe if the NSA is willing to jump in and help, but otherwise I don't see a huge problem with broadcasting this. It's not as though the suspect can actually do anything with the information.

Not like the Munich Olympic terrorists watching the German police closing in on the television.
I hope they get him alive..
Reply 1045

It means a radio was left transmitting
Reply 1046

I think he was either leaving the mic on (you have to press a button to talk, so he was pressing this by accident) or he was pressing his distress signal button.
I doubt the dude is on an ipad right now tbh.
Original post by pinda.college
I hope they get him alive..

why
yes

Respect +1
apparently he might be dead
Reply 1051
Original post by AlexandrTheGreat
They'd need a court order if Ustream is unwilling to comply.

I can't think of any technical means they'd have at their disposal. Maybe if the NSA is willing to jump in and help, but otherwise I don't see a huge problem with broadcasting this. It's not as though the suspect can actually do anything with the information.

Not like the Munich Olympic terrorists watching the German police closing in on the television.

Could they arrest for obstruction? Or at least threaten with arrest to make them take down the feeds. I don't know, it does seem unlikely.

I presume they don't want the suspect to know when they're going in, so he doesn't blow himself up.

[color="#333333"]Paul Adams, BBC World Service Correspondent, writes
Someone from CNN has just managed to get a glimpse of the boat, and heard officers shouting for the suspect to come out. The reporter didn't hear any response from inside the boat. This was minutes ago

0120: [color="#333333"]
ABC News update: "Eyewitness: Neighbour went to check boat behind his house today, saw blood, climbed up ladder to open boat's cover, saw a body, called police."

why

Answers. Clues to his origins and training. Stuff like that.
Original post by pjm600
Could they arrest for obstruction? Or at least threaten with arrest to make them take down the feeds. I don't know, it does seem unlikely.

My understanding is that it's not actually breaking any laws. The police in the US are broadcasting unencrypted, and scanners are entirely legal. Equally, the 1st Amendment provides a very strong presumption against the police being able to shut this down.

Nixon couldn't even get a court order against publication by the New York Times of the Pentagon Papers, despite the fact that they were Top Secret and stolen.

I presume they don't want the suspect to know when they're going in, so he doesn't blow himself up.

We're not hearing SWAT or FBI radios. They operate on encrypted frequencies. This is just the BPD beat cops.
Reply 1055
Original post by pjm600

Police scanners are legal. For all the police know he could have one. As for him using the internet to listen well I think the cell phone networks would be jammed so thats a no go and anyway if he'd been using the phone to listen all day I'm sure the battery would be dead by now.

[color="#333333"]Paul Adams, BBC World Service Correspondent, writes
Someone from CNN has just managed to get a glimpse of the boat, and heard officers shouting for the suspect to come out. The reporter didn't hear any response from inside the boat. This was minutes ago

0120: [color="#333333"]
ABC News update: "Eyewitness: Neighbour went to check boat behind his house today, saw blood, climbed up ladder to open boat's cover, saw a body, called police."

They saw blood, and here was shooting today so I assume he is critically injured and unable to fight back properly.

[I think I found the location of the fight on Google Maps btw, but it's not much good ofc, it's pics from the past]
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Tell me more about how much evidence has been collected that these attacks were motivated by religion?

I'd say Tamurlane's Youtube profile, with its many extremist Islamic videos, provides at the least, the most probable hypothesis.
Original post by HotfireLegend
They saw blood, and here was shooting today so I assume he is critically injured and unable to fight back properly.

[I think I found the location of the fight on Google Maps btw, but it's not much good ofc, it's pics from the past]

Please share.
Original post by HotfireLegend

why is there blood did he shoot himself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending