The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University Foundation Course 2013

Welcome to the TSR forum for Durham Foundation Centre

To introduce myself, I am currently a student at Durham University, and having studied with the foundation centre from 2012/2013. In the autumn of 2013 I will be reading theology. I have been running this forum since I got a place at the University in 2011. The idea behind the forum is to give any student advice or answer questions they may have about the department as well as the university. I will try to do my best to answer these questions, if not then I will do what I can to find out. Any questions, just send me a message and I will get back to you ASAP.

This forum is a great way to communicate with other students before you start your course.

For information on the university: www.dur.ac.uk

For information on the programmes available: https://www.dur.ac.uk/foundation.centre/programmes/

Email: [email protected]

Join us on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/FoundationCentre?fref=ts

Good luck to students for the new year

________________________________ ________________________________ ____

Programme:
Firm/Insurance:
College:
Where are you from:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What course have you applied for at Durham?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
What were the grades you needed to get in to the foundation course?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
Original post by samaaf
What were the grades you needed to get in to the foundation course?

I transferred from another university, which I completed the 1st year.

Some students on the course have no qualifications, some have a'levels/ o'levels and wanted to take an access course to get back into education. Also, students have used it as a conversion route. Hope that helps.:smile:
Do you study Theology?

I can't wait to go! Did anyone get straight accepted onto the course, or get any conditions attached to their offer? I thought it was weird that they wanted me to pass my NVQ Level 2 in Business and Administrations from my Apprenticeship due to there being no entry requirements, but still, it's achieved (just waiting for my Certificate to be processed and so fourth).

The only bad side on my situation is the fact that I have to wait from late Jan/early Feb till the 1st of October for my course to start as my Apprenticeship finishes then. So glad I did it, though!

What's everyone studying/applied to study? Where exactly is the Foundation Centre in Durham City? Can you study various modules from other courses and subjects?

Peace.
Reply 5
Original post by Himynameskiefer
Do you study Theology?

I can't wait to go! Did anyone get straight accepted onto the course, or get any conditions attached to their offer? I thought it was weird that they wanted me to pass my NVQ Level 2 in Business and Administrations from my Apprenticeship due to there being no entry requirements, but still, it's achieved (just waiting for my Certificate to be processed and so fourth).

The only bad side on my situation is the fact that I have to wait from late Jan/early Feb till the 1st of October for my course to start as my Apprenticeship finishes then. So glad I did it, though!

What's everyone studying/applied to study? Where exactly is the Foundation Centre in Durham City? Can you study various modules from other courses and subjects?

Peace.

Unfortunately they dont do theology related modules in the foundation department:frown: But there is a module called Academic Practise which you can choose a subject area of your choice, which I am looking at theology in the Scottish Church. Here is a social science module list:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/lv00.pdf

If you are into facebook there also a page:

https://www.facebook.com/FoundationCentre
Original post by ebowey
Unfortunately they dont do theology related modules in the foundation department:frown: But there is a module called Academic Practise which you can choose a subject area of your choice, which I am looking at theology in the Scottish Church. Here is a social science module list:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/lv00.pdf

If you are into facebook there also a page:

https://www.facebook.com/FoundationCentre

Awesome, and thank you for the links! Much appreciated! Where do you think I could get some books to read prior to University starting?
Got an interview for Medicine foundation course! Hopefully will go good.
Reply 8
Original post by Himynameskiefer
Awesome, and thank you for the links! Much appreciated! Where do you think I could get some books to read prior to University starting?

We didn't get a reading list, not if the list will be the same for you. 'A very short introduction' books are good and they do pretty much most academic subjects: Philosophy; ethics; sociology etc. If you go to Blackwells bookshop they sell them for £4.99. I suppose just read what you can.

If you are going onto a social sciences subject its worth getting a sociology textbook (if thats your subject), which you can use again throughout your degree. Have a look in charity shops, I bought a sociology book for £2.00. So it worth hunting around.

Abebooks is good as well!
Original post by ebowey
We didn't get a reading list, not if the list will be the same for you. 'A very short introduction' books are good and they do pretty much most academic subjects: Philosophy; ethics; sociology etc. If you go to Blackwells bookshop they sell them for £4.99. I suppose just read what you can.

If you are going onto a social sciences subject its worth getting a sociology textbook (if thats your subject), which you can use again throughout your degree. Have a look in charity shops, I bought a sociology book for £2.00. So it worth hunting around.

Abebooks is good as well!

Thank you for the advice! I can't wait to start!
Reply 10
Does it make a difference in your chances of admission depending on what college you choose for the Foundation Programme?
Reply 11
Original post by jnkesd
Does it make a difference in your chances of admission depending on what college you choose for the Foundation Programme?

Not at all. What happens is, if you get an offer your application then gets sent to the college of your choice, if you don't get into that college then you will get allocated one. Sometimes it depends on popularity of the college (St. Johns, Hatfield, Castle). I chose Castle and got in (which was a big surprise), other students just applied for Hild and Bede because it is near the department.

It can be a bit of a long process
Reply 12
Original post by IdeasForLife
Got an interview for Medicine foundation course! Hopefully will go good.

Good luck:smile:
Original post by ebowey
Good luck:smile:

Thx
Reply 14
Hi
I start criminology foundation this year :smile: and I've been reading through a few forums and most people say you never get the college you apply for? Is this correct? Iv applied for butler - is it a popular college?

Also the term starts on the 1st of October but many people are saying we would be expected to arrive late September?

Reply 15
Original post by aimeelou89
Hi
I start criminology foundation this year :smile: and I've been reading through a few forums and most people say you never get the college you apply for? Is this correct? Iv applied for butler - is it a popular college?

Also the term starts on the 1st of October but many people are saying we would be expected to arrive late September?

I applied for Castle and I got in. It depends really. Butler is not as popular as st johns, castle or hatfield (students seem to want to be in more formal colleges). Butler is one of the newer colleges, so your chances maybe better. Also Butler is not as close to the centre, its about a 15 minute walk. But you have a park and ride facility outside Butler (which is brilliant).
Reply 16
Original post by ebowey
I transferred from another university, which I completed the 1st year.

Some students on the course have no qualifications, some have a'levels/ o'levels and wanted to take an access course to get back into education. Also, students have used it as a conversion route. Hope that helps.:smile:

Are there students there who came straight from doing alevels but didn't do as well so they entered through the foundation course too?

Reply 17
Original post by samaaf
Are there students there who came straight from doing alevels but didn't do as well so they entered through the foundation course too?

Yes, you get such a mix of other students. My education is a bit strange. I didn't do very well in my GCSE's and only did one A'Level which has nothing to do with my degree program. Thats the good thing about the foundation year, its tailored for people who have some/ or no qualifications.
Reply 18
Original post by ebowey
I applied for Castle and I got in. It depends really. Butler is not as popular as st johns, castle or hatfield (students seem to want to be in more formal colleges). Butler is one of the newer colleges, so your chances maybe better. Also Butler is not as close to the centre, its about a 15 minute walk. But you have a park and ride facility outside Butler (which is brilliant).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just applied for the Anthropology Foundation.

I'm a little confused on the interview - the foundation website seems to suggest they do interview whereas my 'application confirmation' email from the admissions department states that most decisions are made without one...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending