The Student Room Group

My GCSE prediction grades?

Hey so I'm 14 and in year 9. I'm a little stuck when trying to predict my GCSE grades for year 10 and 11.
I guess I could say I'm an average student, I don't know.. anyway, here are my national curriculum levels and the subjects:
English: 5A (predicted a C or B)
Maths: 5C (when I was looking at the foundation paper I thought that it was extremely easy and although we're taking the GCSE exam in year 11 I think I can definitely achieve to be on the higher paper)
Science: 5C (we're doing our actual science GCSE only in 9 months and my sister who is a 5B has been predicted a C or B, but I'm worried if I don't get a B because that's what I'm truly aiming for).
French: 5A-6C (my teacher thinks I'm aiming for a C or B).

Sorry, this thread is pretty dumb, but in your opinion what do you think the outcome for my GCSE grades would be? Providing I'll be revising a ton when it's close to my GCSE exam. :smile:
Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wow, isn't a 5C where you should be at when you're 11? I was at 7s in year 9 and ended up getting A/A*s and 2Bs at gcse. I reckon you'll get mostly Cs and maybe 1 or 2 Bs at gcse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oliviaaa123
Hey so I'm 14 and in year 9. I'm a little stuck when trying to predict my GCSE grades for year 10 and 11.
I guess I could say I'm an average student, I don't know.. anyway, here are my national curriculum levels and the subjects:
Maths: 5C (when I was looking at the foundation paper I thought that it was extremely easy and although we're taking the GCSE exam in year 11 I think I can definitely achieve to be on the higher paper)
Science: 5C (we're doing our actual science GCSE only in 9 months and my sister who is a 5B has been predicted a C or B, but I'm worried if I don't get a B because that's what I'm truly aiming for).

Sorry, this thread is pretty dumb, but in your opinion what do you think the outcome for my GCSE grades would be? Providing I'll be revising a ton when it's close to my GCSE exam. :smile:
Thanks in advance.

It really is way too soon to predict GCSE grades. None of these predictions will be accurate. I'm probably the best example of this. Don't worry about your predictions, ignore them and focus on getting the best grades you can get.

Right now you are in a position where you can get any grade you want if you work hard.
Original post by Namige
Wow, isn't a 5C where you should be at when you're 11? I was at 7s in year 9 and ended up getting A/A*s and 2Bs at gcse. I reckon you'll get mostly Cs and maybe 1 or 2 Bs at gcse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're not in a position to make that call. You don't know the OP.

Honestly OP, national curriculum grades mean very little. You should start revising early for GCSE. I personally was average at Maths (4A) but worked my ass off to get a B and do Maths now for the IB and I'm hoping for a 6 (out of 7). GCSEs are all about the work you put in.
Reply 4
Original post by Namige

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your feedback, however I understand that I am under average in maths and science, however I know in maths I can improve and I can at least get a B to add in Science I'm not too sure if I'll get a C or B.
Reply 5
Thank you for that feedback. I have started revising early for Science and Maths and I will carry on doing so.
Reply 6
Thank you so much! :smile:
Reply 7

Thanks in advance.

I don't think I got a single level 7 in SAT's and only got a 6B an English. Now I am predicted 6A*'s 4A's and 1 B. Honestly, predictions are what they are, predictions (nothing to be taken seriously at this stage).

Just remember that the only limit is the one you set yourself! It was taken from Redbull but it is wiser than anything Ghandi ever said :biggrin:
Original post by Namige

Posted from TSR Mobile

NC Levels are really poorly standardised; they appear to be interpreted differently in different schools. Having said that, a lot of people got a Level 5 in their KS2 SATS - but again, this doesn't have to mean anything.

With regard to the OP, as everyone else has said it's simply too early to predict your GCSE performance. You don't even need predicted grades for another year and a half.
As another poster said, those predictions set by the national curriculum are often rubbish, I sometimes wonder if they send out random grades! But yes, the world is still very much your oyster. Work hard and it will pay off. I didn't revise at all for GCSE, and while I'm happy with my grades and I'm going to university to do the course I want, if I'd decided on a course like Medicine or had wanted to go to Oxbridge I would have had considerable difficulty, not only due to grades but due to the lack of knowledge which I would need to excel at relevant A-Levels. As I'm doing Programming and the Computing course only started in Year 12 I was able to start over fresh, but it's not like that for every course.

tl;dr: study hard now and you WILL see the benefits later. You can be whatever you want to be. :smile:
Reply 10
Why are you worrying about it, when I was in year 9 I was getting level 4 and 5 and now in year 11 I'm predicted A*-B for all my subjects. There is really no equivalent.
Reply 11
Yup I got mainly 5A's in year 9 now I'm on track to achieve 10 A*-A grades those grades honestly dont mean anything
I think that level 5s at NC would be equivalent to something like a C, but you'd probably improve if you wanted to. National Curriculum grades don't mean much in the whole scheme of things, they help with knowing where you are at that moment in time but they don't define your whole school career. You shouldn't choose your GCSEs based on what you get in them.

Thanks in advance.

Don't panic about your levels in year 9. I did awfully in them, with teachers telling me C/B was my potential.

I'm going into my exams looking comfortably at 6 to 8 A*s with As in everything else. My teachers now consider me Oxford material, where I dream of studying Law.

Don't be put down by the stupid level system in lower years. There were people on amazingly high levels in year 9, and are no struggling to get five a*-c

Thanks in advance.

Personally national curriculum levels do not necessarily indicate the grades you will achieve but instead they are used as rough guidelines.

Anyway I'm in year 9 too and my levels are as follows and I also attend a state school.

Maths. 8b
Science. 7a
English. 7a
History. B grade (GCSE)
RE. 6a/7c
ICT. 7b
Spanish. 6b
Business. 7b
if I am a 4c what would be mine GCSE grade
Reply 16
YOU predict what YOU think YOU are capable of. sure you may not be getting great results now but what do they matter, it is all down to the effort you put in from year 10 onwards,
Reply 17
Original post by cheekymonkey14
if I am a 4c what would be mine GCSE grade

i dont think u should worry about gcses in year 5 :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by karspider
i dont think u should worry about gcses in year 5 :smile:

oooh, let me go check with tiger woods......

..yep, he says thats a par!!
NCL mean nothing, I had a 7B in Maths and got a B in my year 10 GCSE and an A in my year 11 mocks. It all depends on how hard you work during year 10 + 11, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest