The Student Room Group

BREAKING: Reports of multiple explosions at Boston Marathon leaving dozens wounded.

Scroll to see replies

Yeah seems a bit dodgy, especially the last firefight surely they would have killed him if he fired a bullet at them, the amount of times they have tried to kill him and surely the americans are trained in shooting and taking out their man
Reply 1121
Original post by s0600128
Yeah seems a bit dodgy, especially the last firefight surely they would have killed him if he fired a bullet at them, the amount of times they have tried to kill him and surely the americans are trained in shooting and taking out their man

Doubt it, they probably wanted him alive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I understand they may want him alive but some of it does not add up, after all its America we talking about but its good they have caught him and all this is all over
Look at the 19 years old twitter he doesn't seem radical or extreme, just seems like a normal teen, I wouldnt suspect anyone like him to carry out an attack like this.
Original post by G8D
did he died?

Update me.

Boston PD give an alert during the press conference that they're lifting the "stay inside" order, but that the suspect is still on the loose and residents have to make sure that they stay safe and be vigilant. One resident, who's been in his home all day ventures outside into his backyard. He sees blood on his boat, and the tarp's ripped, so he sneaks over and peaks under the carp and sees a body covered in blood - he thinks it's dead, before it moves. He rushes inside and calls 911, and police absolutely rush the area.

Police move towards the boat, and fire is exchanged, so the police back off. Police, EMS, SWAT, FBI, ATF, HRT, choppers and a bomb dog moves in. They spend the next 2 hours moving in on the boat; not sure if he has a suicide vest, or explosives, or anything that causes fire that might blow up fuel that's on the boat. They want to get him alive and not take any more casualties. Entering 1 hr 50, they move in, extract the suspect from the boat, search him for explosives and weapons, then send him away in an ambulance as he's wounded from the original shootout. He'll be being treated for his wounds as we speak. Cops confirm that it is Dzhokhar.

Original post by s0600128

One was killed, and the other severely injured. Not bad for cops who don't want to kill, are having automatic weapons fired at them, and grenades and other explosives thrown at them.
I'm guessing you've all heard the theory that it was set up by the government, as swat teams were seen on the day with same backpacks

Facebook have blocked the swat team conspiracy from being posted. Facebook is owned by the CIA. Definitely something fishy

Opinions

Posted from TSR iPad
Original post by anonymouse01
I'm guessing you've all heard the theory that it was set up by the government, as swat teams were seen on the day with same backpacks

Facebook have blocked the swat team conspiracy from being posted. Facebook is owned by the CIA. Definitely something fishy

Opinions

Posted from TSR iPad

133251362419.jpg
Reply 1127

Opinions

Posted from TSR iPad

Usual paranoid 'fools' being fed information from the like of Alex Jones without questioning it. Why is it unusual for swat to have back packs? I'm pretty sure Jones said it was private contractors anyway.

There is no conspiracy.
Original post by CEKTOP
Federal death penalty is available for murder via an explosion, there are currently 3 such murders which were clearly premeditated (which also makes them 1st degree murders and thus federal according to 18 U.S.C. 1111). The captured suspect was the one planting the bomb. Additionally, a case of such magnitude is clearly a federal one as it substantially affected national security.

I don't mean to be dismissive, but you have a lot to learn about American law.

Federal criminal law is only engaged where the crime occurs on federal government land (like the Oklahoma City Federal Building), or involves a federal official or a member of the military.

You mentioned "substantially affects national security"; I note you read the front page of the American murder wiki page. There's no reason to believe that this does engage the national security interest, this crime spree didn't cross state lines, it occurred all within the borders of one state. You should read up on the federal criminal caselaw.

Now I know you want him to get the death penalty, but your wants and what the law is are two separate things. In short, you were and are wrong. It's far from guaranteed he'll get the death penalty. In fact, I'm happy to offer you odds that he'll be charged under federal law (if you want to put your money where your mouth is)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by CEKTOP
In this case it is certain.

See my comment above. Your understanding of American law is demonstrably superficial (and clearly wiki-ed).

I'm happy to offer odds if you want to put your money where your mouth is (say 3:1 to make it attractive. If it's guaranteed like you believe, then you have nothing to lose and 300% profits to gain)

Edit: I hasten to add, the proceeds would be donated to an anti-death penalty charity
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AlexandrTheGreat
You mentioned "substantially affects national security"; I note you read the front page of the American murder wiki page. There's no reason to believe that this does engage the national security interest, this crime spree didn't cross state lines, it occurred all within the borders of one state. You should read up on the federal criminal caselaw.

I agree with all your points, though we should point out there are hints of suspicion that these guys might not have done what they did without external backing. I'm saying that's definitively the case as we don't know, but if it were true that might become more of an issue of national security.
Lol, on fb

consulate general of the czech republic in new york
as many i was deeply shocked by the tragedy that occurred in boston earlier this month. It was a stark reminder of the fact that any of us could be a victim of senseless violence anywhere at any moment.

As more information on the origin of the alleged perpetrators is coming to light, i am concerned to note in the social media a most unfortunate misunderstanding in this respect. The czech republic and chechnya are two very different entities - the czech republic is a central european country; chechnya is a part of the russian federation.
As the president of the czech republic miloš zeman noted in his message to president obama, the czech republic is an active and reliable partner of the united states in the fight against terrorism. We are determined to stand side by side with our allies in this respect, there is no doubt about that.

Petr gandalovič
ambassador of the czech republic

Opinions

Posted from TSR iPad

The brothers also had backpacks. In fact, DZOKHAR is seen dropping the bag off right behind the boy that subsequently died.

Here is TAMERLAN's Youtube page. Full of terrorist playslists, favoruties of Islamic extremists preaching hatred. Coincidence? I think not. He also has a video with is linked to Al Qaeda.

http://www.youtube.com/user/muazseyfullah

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/boston-bomber-posted-video-black-flags-khorasan_718071.html

(edited 11 years ago)

Opinions

Posted from TSR iPad

my opinion is that conspiracy theorists are ****wits and losers.
Original post by MattKneale
I agree with all your points, though we should point out there are hints of suspicion that these guys might not have done what they did without external backing. I'm saying that's definitively the case as we don't know, but if it were true that might become more of an issue of national security.

I agree. I thought it was important to emphatically refute the claim that Dzhokar is guaranteed to be tried under federal law, and guaranteed to get the death penalty.

There is no inherent federal jurisdiction in the crimes committed, and this is exactly the point Alan Dershowitz has just been making.

Cektop (and many commenters) need to learn to distinguish their desire for something to happen from the likelihood that it will actually happen.

I'd also point out.... Massaoui was tried under federal law, convicted and got life in prison. Death penalty is far from guaranteed as a federal homicide charge looks next to impossible. Most of the subsidiary federal charges with which they might charge him are actually ones that don't carry the death penalty.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by slickrick666999
The brothers also had backpacks. In fact, DZOKHAR is seen dropping the bag off right behind the boy that subsequently died.

Here is TAMERLAN's Youtube page. Full of terrorist playslists, favoruties of Islamic extremists preaching hatred. Coincidence? I think not. He also has a video with is linked to Al Qaeda.

http://www.youtube.com/user/muazseyfullah

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/boston-bomber-posted-video-black-flags-khorasan_718071.html

You got it. This is the reply I was looking for.
Just playing devils advocate btw

Posted from TSR iPad
Reply 1137
See my comment above. Your understanding of American law is demonstrably superficial (and clearly wiki-ed).

I'm happy to offer odds if you want to put your money where your mouth is (say 3:1 to make it attractive. If it's guaranteed like you believe, then you have nothing to lose and 300% profits to gain)

Edit: I hasten to add, the proceeds would be donated to an anti-death penalty charity

Let's just wait until they charge him, it will surely determine who's right.
I agree. I thought it was important to emphatically refute the claim that Dzhokar is guaranteed to be tried under federal law, and guaranteed to get the death penalty.

There is no inherent federal jurisdiction in the crimes committed, and this is exactly the point Alan Dershowitz has just been making.

Cektop (and many commenters) need to learn to distinguish their desire for something to happen from the likelihood that it will actually happen.

I'd also point out.... Massaoui was tried under federal law, convicted and got life in prison. Death penalty is far from guaranteed as a federal homicide charge looks next to impossible. Most of the subsidiary federal charges with which they might charge him are actually ones that don't carry the death penalty.

My previous post obviously meant to have a "not" in there somewhere haha.

I think a death penalty would be far more likely if he were tried under state law in any other state, but evidently that won't happen in Massachusetts. Lest we forget the last federal execution was in 2003; it's a pretty rare event in the grand scheme of things.

I agree that just because people want him to be tried and executed for his crimes, that doesn't mean it will happen. There has to be a very serious implication to national security for the case to be referred to federal jurisdiction and for the meantime we don't even know if there's a national security case to be answered.

If I were to hazard a guess:
-If they were lone criminals without outside help from a foreign agency or extremist group, they'll be tried for murder, mayhem, conducting and planning terrorist acts and grand theft.

-If they were acting as above but with the aid of a foreign agency or extremist group, depending upon the extent of that, they could be tried either federally or under a military trial. That's where the risk of a death penalty could be applied, but I still think the above option is more likely.
Hope im not silly in asking this

But how did they become suspects in the first place?

Im glad they have caught them though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending