The Student Room Group

Was a thread about car insurance...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NatashaLee
Yeah we have a bit of sun here today and yesterday, but it's really windy too ):

Haha well i had hoped you would have realised i meant exits im always making silly mistakes :') but yeah 5 lanes would be crazy i think thats why i confused it, the 5 exit roundabout near me is referred to as five lane ends. But yeah sorta in the know haha, think i'd still be a bit scared it's so big :0

Well there still a chance he'll be able to come see it then, you could be driving away in a few days :smile:

Same here today, warm in general but cloudy and the wind is a bit chilly.

Haha ditzy moments, cute :laugh: I spent so many hours sitting there with a diagram of the roundabout basically revising for next time I drive it, but it just looks completely different when you're on it lol.

Looks like I'll have to let go of the KA, unless it's still there by the weekend but that may mean it's been looked at and not taken. My uncle can't take me until the weekend and my cousin has just started a new job and he's unsure of his hours during the week at the moment.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Same here today, warm in general but cloudy and the wind is a bit chilly.

Haha ditzy moments, cute :laugh: I spent so many hours sitting there with a diagram of the roundabout basically revising for next time I drive it, but it just looks completely different when you're on it lol.

Looks like I'll have to let go of the KA, unless it's still there by the weekend but that may mean it's been looked at and not taken. My uncle can't take me until the weekend and my cousin has just started a new job and he's unsure of his hours during the week at the moment.

Yeah lovely and sunny, but wish the wind would just disappear -.-

Oh gosh i have many ditzy moments, i had to google how to open my fuel cap! hahahah in my defense it is the first car i have ever had to but petrol in and i don't have the manual so yeah. But I'm sure I'll have many more ditzy moments haha

It may still be there though, doesn't necessarily mean people have looked at it and decided not to get it? Think my first car was advertised for some time and my step-dad checked it out and it was all good, just turned out not to be the car for me unfortunately, but they may be a different car by the weekend :smile:
Yeah lovely and sunny, but wish the wind would just disappear -.-

Oh gosh i have many ditzy moments, i had to google how to open my fuel cap! hahahah in my defense it is the first car i have ever had to but petrol in and i don't have the manual so yeah. But I'm sure I'll have many more ditzy moments haha

It may still be there though, doesn't necessarily mean people have looked at it and decided not to get it? Think my first car was advertised for some time and my step-dad checked it out and it was all good, just turned out not to be the car for me unfortunately, but they may be a different car by the weekend :smile:

Yeah just ruins the nice weather. Still, better than strong wind and rain, worst weather ever.

Hahaha, bless ya. No ditzy moments on the road I hope!

Hopefully yeah. Got another couple of options lined up today. Someone that my brother knows is selling a 2001 Peugeot 107 just around the corner from me, half a years MOT & tax. Texted my uncle a while ago to see if we can look tomorrow evening, hope he doesn't let me down again.
If that doesn't work out my cousin is taking me this weekend to look at a 1.4 Seat Ibiza in matt blue, perfect car but it's a 30 mile drive to Essex to look at it, that'll make a scary first solo drive if I buy it haha.
Yeah just ruins the nice weather. Still, better than strong wind and rain, worst weather ever.

Hahaha, bless ya. No ditzy moments on the road I hope!

Hopefully yeah. Got another couple of options lined up today. Someone that my brother knows is selling a 2001 Peugeot 107 just around the corner from me, half a years MOT & tax. Texted my uncle a while ago to see if we can look tomorrow evening, hope he doesn't let me down again.
If that doesn't work out my cousin is taking me this weekend to look at a 1.4 Seat Ibiza in matt blue, perfect car but it's a 30 mile drive to Essex to look at it, that'll make a scary first solo drive if I buy it haha.

haha definitely, it's suppose to rain here tomorrow so hope the windy goes! lol

Haha no apart from the odd parallel park when i forget to turn and end up really wonky so do about 5 full locks either way to sort it out, but i always get there in the end :wink: hahah

Aw well it's looking hopeful then :smile: I really love the look of the Seat Leon's, sounds like a good colour too, shame about it not been closer, but if you got it you'd probably be fully used to it by the time you got it home :smile: aha.
Aww, how's it been there? Been lovely weather here today.

Haha, well at least it's nothing dangerous. I suppose after a while parking will become automatic as well.

No luck today... had 2 106s in my area. One looked really nice, but by the time my uncle could get here the best one had sold. So we went to look at the other one, about 100 things wrong with it so think I'll leave that one. Hopefully we get some luck at the weekend. If we do end up buying it I'll just have to use the sat nav on, concentrate on the road and just let it tell me where to go, just like I've been doing in my driving lessons haha.
Aww, how's it been there? Been lovely weather here today.

Haha, well at least it's nothing dangerous. I suppose after a while parking will become automatic as well.

No luck today... had 2 106s in my area. One looked really nice, but by the time my uncle could get here the best one had sold. So we went to look at the other one, about 100 things wrong with it so think I'll leave that one. Hopefully we get some luck at the weekend. If we do end up buying it I'll just have to use the sat nav on, concentrate on the road and just let it tell me where to go, just like I've been doing in my driving lessons haha.

It bloody rained! so i took my big coat to uni, because i thought i wouldn't have a chance with a umbrella in the wind then it came out sunny! Still on the bus too and a man insisted on keeping the window closed -.-

haha nope :smile: and yeaah im not to keen on car parks tbh, quite a lot of them seem a squeeze when they're busy, but im sure i feel better at them with time.

and oh no ): at least you've been out viewing some cars tho, better luck for the weekend :smile: and haha I tried doing that and i kept forgetting what it told me, i wasn't paying too much attention to it tbh, it was a straight ahead route for most part tho, but when i really needed it on a massive roundabout thing, not too sure if it's exactly a roundabout (this one does have 5 lanes, loads of traffic lights and it super crazy) but yeah it kept telling me to turn right on some road when there was no road to turn right onto! -.- yeah i kinda hate my satnav now haha, but yeah as long as you have it with you, you know you can get home wherever you end up :smile:
It bloody rained! so i took my big coat to uni, because i thought i wouldn't have a chance with a umbrella in the wind then it came out sunny! Still on the bus too and a man insisted on keeping the window closed -.-

haha nope :smile: and yeaah im not to keen on car parks tbh, quite a lot of them seem a squeeze when they're busy, but im sure i feel better at them with time.

and oh no ): at least you've been out viewing some cars tho, better luck for the weekend :smile: and haha I tried doing that and i kept forgetting what it told me, i wasn't paying too much attention to it tbh, it was a straight ahead route for most part tho, but when i really needed it on a massive roundabout thing, not too sure if it's exactly a roundabout (this one does have 5 lanes, loads of traffic lights and it super crazy) but yeah it kept telling me to turn right on some road when there was no road to turn right onto! -.- yeah i kinda hate my satnav now haha, but yeah as long as you have it with you, you know you can get home wherever you end up :smile:

Awww that sucks :frown: Annoying when you're out for the day on a day like that, people look at you like you're mental for carrying an umbrella when it's a sunny day haha.

Haven't really had any experience in car parks yet, they seem a bit annoying though. All sorts of parking was always a strong point of mine in my lessons though so hopefully I'll be alright. Think I might get my brother or sister to come with if we end up picking up this Seat, they can keep me company and keep an eye on the sat nav for me then.
Awww that sucks :frown: Annoying when you're out for the day on a day like that, people look at you like you're mental for carrying an umbrella when it's a sunny day haha.

Haven't really had any experience in car parks yet, they seem a bit annoying though. All sorts of parking was always a strong point of mine in my lessons though so hopefully I'll be alright. Think I might get my brother or sister to come with if we end up picking up this Seat, they can keep me company and keep an eye on the sat nav for me then.

Yeaah, and i hate those funny looks you get like 'it's sunny, what she doing haha' can't wait to have my car back and have the windows done, been dying to drive in the sun, so watch it rain when i get my car back haha

Yeah well that's good then you'll have no problems, i like to just be able to drive into spaces :') im lazy haha. Yeah that's not a bad idea, you can have some company then too, oh and google maps (app) is pretty good you know, used it to navigate my friend back from Leeds because her sat nav wouldn't charge aha
Reply 68
I think I have the same problem too. Currently looking for a car nowadays. When I find one that I like, I check insurance on it, then fiddle around with some stuff such as policy start date, where the car will parked, mileage I will drive etc to see if it will reduce the price.

I check like 20-30 cars a day. I was getting good cheap quotes between £800-1200. Then the other day, they quotes had doubled, even on cheaper lower powered cars. The next few days all the companies disappeared and only four would insure me, cheapest being £5k :frown::frown::frown:
Yeaah, and i hate those funny looks you get like 'it's sunny, what she doing haha' can't wait to have my car back and have the windows done, been dying to drive in the sun, so watch it rain when i get my car back haha

Yeah well that's good then you'll have no problems, i like to just be able to drive into spaces :') im lazy haha. Yeah that's not a bad idea, you can have some company then too, oh and google maps (app) is pretty good you know, used it to navigate my friend back from Leeds because her sat nav wouldn't charge aha

Ah same, even worse if you don't have an umbrella, you get a thorough soaking then the sun comes out, you're walking around looking like a drowned rat while everyone else is in shorts :s-smilie:
Can't wait for that either; nice and hot, windows down, poodling through the streets with a bit of tuneage.

Hopefully not haha, still have to try and mark up some ref points though I reckon.
Well, would like some company but my cousin insists we go alone, since we're gonna be trying to haggle a few hundred quid off the price it's no business-like to turn up with more than 2 people lol.
Interesting actually... was thinking of using the Navigate app that uses google maps, but the GPS signal on my phone is a bit crap tbh.
Ah same, even worse if you don't have an umbrella, you get a thorough soaking then the sun comes out, you're walking around looking like a drowned rat while everyone else is in shorts :s-smilie:
Can't wait for that either; nice and hot, windows down, poodling through the streets with a bit of tuneage.

Hopefully not haha, still have to try and mark up some ref points though I reckon.
Well, would like some company but my cousin insists we go alone, since we're gonna be trying to haggle a few hundred quid off the price it's no business-like to turn up with more than 2 people lol.
Interesting actually... was thinking of using the Navigate app that uses google maps, but the GPS signal on my phone is a bit crap tbh.

haha yeah I've done that a few times especially in the past when I've been getting the bus and going somewhere out of town shopping, i swear every time i go to Leeds it rains, then i come back and its glorious sunshine and i look like a drowned rat -.- Haha love driving in the sun, sunglasses on, windows down, summer music on : D getting excited thinking about it

You might find you'll just do reference points naturally in your head, and ah i see, well what better way to get to know your car (if you end up getting that one), nice driver back, you'll have you satnav and radio, it's all good :P Although on my first ever drive i had the radio turned down because i felt i couldn't with the music being on :') haha I remember when my step-dad went to pick my first car up, he went, my mum went, me neighbor went and my neighbors son went, but they'd already done the negotiating previously so was literally just picking it up, the guy wanted to keep it a few extra days but his dad said he had to let it go, aww. and yeah well that google maps that i used turned out to be quite good, im not too sure about my gps signal tho tbh
haha yeah I've done that a few times especially in the past when I've been getting the bus and going somewhere out of town shopping, i swear every time i go to Leeds it rains, then i come back and its glorious sunshine and i look like a drowned rat -.- Haha love driving in the sun, sunglasses on, windows down, summer music on : D getting excited thinking about it

You might find you'll just do reference points naturally in your head, and ah i see, well what better way to get to know your car (if you end up getting that one), nice driver back, you'll have you satnav and radio, it's all good :P Although on my first ever drive i had the radio turned down because i felt i couldn't with the music being on :') haha I remember when my step-dad went to pick my first car up, he went, my mum went, me neighbor went and my neighbors son went, but they'd already done the negotiating previously so was literally just picking it up, the guy wanted to keep it a few extra days but his dad said he had to let it go, aww. and yeah well that google maps that i used turned out to be quite good, im not too sure about my gps signal tho tbh

I guess don't go to Leeds anymore then haha, or just make sure you never head there without a brolly.
Yes, got my summer tunes mix all ready to go :smile: Won't be playing it on the way home on Saturday though if I get the car, it's only got a tape deck lol. I'll obviously be looking to replace it asap. Most likely drive without music so I can hear the satnav anyways.

Yeah probably just be able to feel it eventually. Definitely gonna pen up some reverse bay points in the meantime though. Pretty subtle ones so nobody really notices them, then it'll look impressive when I just land in the bay perfect all the time like I always did in my lessons hehe. No points needed for all the other types of parking though thankfully, you just use parts of the windows as your points.

Haha, just have the whole family turn up, why not :smile:
Well with my cousin giving me his satnav, this means he'll be following me home. So I'd better make sure I stay in the right lanes so I don't end up going the wrong way haha.
I guess don't go to Leeds anymore then haha, or just make sure you never head there without a brolly.
Yes, got my summer tunes mix all ready to go :smile: Won't be playing it on the way home on Saturday though if I get the car, it's only got a tape deck lol. I'll obviously be looking to replace it asap. Most likely drive without music so I can hear the satnav anyways.

Yeah probably just be able to feel it eventually. Definitely gonna pen up some reverse bay points in the meantime though. Pretty subtle ones so nobody really notices them, then it'll look impressive when I just land in the bay perfect all the time like I always did in my lessons hehe. No points needed for all the other types of parking though thankfully, you just use parts of the windows as your points.

Haha, just have the whole family turn up, why not :smile:
Well with my cousin giving me his satnav, this means he'll be following me home. So I'd better make sure I stay in the right lanes so I don't end up going the wrong way haha.

Haha well yeah, but Leeds is the best place shopping round here, but i should start remembering to take the brolly
Oh i got a free Whitney Houston cd with my car :tongue: haha, do love a bit of Whitney Houston every now and then. But i think two of my friends were like that and they bought this thing from ebay which allows you to connect a USB through it so you could an ipod or something, but yeah might be best to listen to the sat nav, don't wanna be taking wrong turns.

Yeah well least you know you'll get it right every time! :smile: I usually just turn when i feel its right then do some straightening up, not one of my best skills tbh, i only did a few when i learnt though, then i never practiced them afterwards -.-

haha exactly why not, was supposed to be my mum and step dad, but my mum didn't want to drive to where it was or drive the car home, so the neighbor took them and his son came along, and well at least if you do take a wrong turn you can still have someone there with you :smile: aha
Haha well yeah, but Leeds is the best place shopping round here, but i should start remembering to take the brolly
Oh i got a free Whitney Houston cd with my car :tongue: haha, do love a bit of Whitney Houston every now and then. But i think two of my friends were like that and they bought this thing from ebay which allows you to connect a USB through it so you could an ipod or something, but yeah might be best to listen to the sat nav, don't wanna be taking wrong turns.

Yeah well least you know you'll get it right every time! :smile: I usually just turn when i feel its right then do some straightening up, not one of my best skills tbh, i only did a few when i learnt though, then i never practiced them afterwards -.-

haha exactly why not, was supposed to be my mum and step dad, but my mum didn't want to drive to where it was or drive the car home, so the neighbor took them and his son came along, and well at least if you do take a wrong turn you can still have someone there with you :smile: aha

Fair enough, yeah better start taking a brolly then aye.

Haha, do you sing along to all the ballads?

Well, in an unexpected turn of events, I got my first car today :smile: 2000 corsa, blue 1.2litre. Gonna get it insured on 1st of May.
It's got a tapedeck but it came with one of those tape-aux things so I can connect my phone to it.
Clutch feels very different, much less range in it. So the biting point is way lower than I'm used to. Also there is 0 grip on the pedals, so I'll replace the rubbers before I start driving it. YAY so happy :smile:

Well, in an unexpected turn of events, I got my first car today :smile: 2000 corsa, blue 1.2litre. Gonna get it insured on 1st of May.
It's got a tapedeck but it came with one of those tape-aux things so I can connect my phone to it.
Clutch feels very different, much less range in it. So the biting point is way lower than I'm used to. Also there is 0 grip on the pedals, so I'll replace the rubbers before I start driving it. YAY so happy :smile:

Same here! 1.2 Corsa, only mines R reg so 1997, and mines like a maroon red :smile: I'm sorting all mine out so it's ready by the 1st May, just gonna drive it as soon as I can tax it though aha

Mine had a CD player in it, but I'm changing it for a new one with an aux port and USB port, just because mine doesn't have a cigarette lighter (does yours? :s) so it means I should be able to use a Satnav if I get one (tbh I think I need it aha)

I thought that with my clutch too! Tbf I only drove it for like 2 minutes from my grandmas round the corner, but it was nice aha, mines only a 3 door though, and I don't remember any of my parents or close family that have owned a 3 door aha!

No central locking or power steering either, but Ahhh I'm so happy I get to drive it in over a week now :biggrin: been sat on my drive since the end of February :rolleyes:

Have fun driving :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SortYourLife
Same here! 1.2 Corsa, only mines R reg so 1997, and mines like a maroon red :smile: I'm sorting all mine out so it's ready by the 1st May, just gonna drive it as soon as I can tax it though aha

Mine had a CD player in it, but I'm changing it for a new one with an aux port and USB port, just because mine doesn't have a cigarette lighter (does yours? :s) so it means I should be able to use a Satnav if I get one (tbh I think I need it aha)

I thought that with my clutch too! Tbf I only drove it for like 2 minutes from my grandmas round the corner, but it was nice aha, mines only a 3 door though, and I don't remember any of my parents or close family that have owned a 3 door aha!

No central locking or power steering either, but Ahhh I'm so happy I get to drive it in over a week now :biggrin: been sat on my drive since the end of February :rolleyes:

Have fun driving :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still gotta inspect the car further actually, I'm pretty sure there's no cig lighter or power steering though... but it does have central locking :smile: Think I'll just make sure when I get a new player that it has a USB port so I can use it as a charger like you said.

Think when my insurance starts I'm gonna get straight round an empty car park and bust out a bunch of clutch control stuff to really get the feel of my clutch. Very nippy little thing, you can get so much action just off the clutch. Obviously though, too much release and it'll stall.

YAY! Welcome to the Corsa club, we have cookies!

What's your insurance like? I don't know if it had anything to do with the biting point or just the nervousness of driving alone for the first time without dual controls but the amount of times I stalled with my Corsa is ridiculous considering I didn't stall much in my instructor's car. My lack of experience of stalling made me panic as I had forgotten what to do the first time I stalled in my corsa! I ended up letting go of the brake and starting the engine... IN GEAR! My boyfriend feared for his life that day!

Anyway congrats, Woody!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 77
Got insured on my new car today :smile: £1300 for a 1series convertible. Buzzing!! Big step up from the ford fiesta!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mrcraig
Got insured on my new car today :smile: £1300 for a 1series convertible. Buzzing!! Big step up from the ford fiesta!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Big step up indeed! Congrats! How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking? Also, how is the drive like ?(assuming you took it for a test drive)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Mrcraig

Posted from TSR Mobile

:O Sweet Ride man, mind if I ask where abouts do u live?, how old is the car and what is its engine capacity? Are U the named driver? How many years NCB do u have? What company did u insure it from :P?

Im getting quoted £1400 as second driver on a 10 year old 1.0 Polo, living in north west london :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest