The Student Room Group

The Cancer Chat Thread- share and care :)

Scroll to see replies

I found out a few nights ago that my Dad has a form of skin cancer and will be having an operation next month to help maintain it, although it probably is upsetting I've just had to put it aside right now as my exams are so close and I can't let this stop me from getting into my chosen university!

Also my Mum just had an operation to remove a tumour that was growing in her body and is now on the recovery, however my family has a trend of not living past 60 with almost everyone dying from a form of cancer, so it's not the nicest of things to be aware of, oh well though as there is nothing I can do to change it :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by MathsNerd1
I found out a few nights ago that my Dad has a form of skin cancer and will be having an operation next month to help maintain it, although it probably is upsetting I've just had to put it aside right now as my exams are so close and I can't let this stop me from getting into my chosen university!

Also my Mum just had an operation to remove a tumour that was growing in her body and is now on the recovery, however my family has a trend of not living past 60 with almost everyone dying from a form of cancer, so it's not the nicest of things to be aware of, oh well though as there is nothing I can do to change it :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't let it stop you!...but at the same time, don't hide how you're feeling :smile: You're right, you can't change it, but you can look after yourself :smile:
Original post by AmorEmPaz
Don't let it stop you!...but at the same time, don't hide how you're feeling :smile: You're right, you can't change it, but you can look after yourself :smile:

Yeah I'm not letting it stop me but I know if I actually pay attention to it then I might let it bring me down so I'm leaving it until I get past my exams but then I'll deal with it, also I've not told anyone else as I don't want other people to be worrying about issues that don't really involve them. Thanks for the response though as this is the first time I've spoke about it and its helped a little bit. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Yeah I'm not letting it stop me but I know if I actually pay attention to it then I might let it bring me down so I'm leaving it until I get past my exams but then I'll deal with it, also I've not told anyone else as I don't want other people to be worrying about issues that don't really involve them. Thanks for the response though as this is the first time I've spoke about it and its helped a little bit. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Talking really helps :smile:
Maybe after your exams you could talk to a close friend? Just so that someone outside the family is aware of it if you ever need to chat. It's helped me massively :smile:
Talking really helps :smile:
Maybe after your exams you could talk to a close friend? Just so that someone outside the family is aware of it if you ever need to chat. It's helped me massively :smile:

Okay, thanks I might say something although I normally don't as it doesn't help solve anything by doing it so I just tend to accept it and move on really, thanks for the advice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Okay, thanks I might say something although I normally don't as it doesn't help solve anything by doing it so I just tend to accept it and move on really, thanks for the advice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It might not solve anything exactly, that's what I used to to think, but sometimes it can be helpful just to talk, let out how you feel instead of bottling it up. Obviously it's not for everyone but I think voicing your feelings stops them eating away at you and making you feel worse. And believe it or not a cry is good too - genuinely releases stress hormone from body :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hjradley1
It might not solve anything exactly, that's what I used to to think, but sometimes it can be helpful just to talk, let out how you feel instead of bottling it up. Obviously it's not for everyone but I think voicing your feelings stops them eating away at you and making you feel worse. And believe it or not a cry is good too - genuinely releases stress hormone from body :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that does seem to help others that I know but first I'll be getting these daunting exams out of the way so I can truly deal with the situation, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Yeah that does seem to help others that I know but first I'll be getting these daunting exams out of the way so I can truly deal with the situation, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's a good idea. I hope they go well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hjradley1
Yeah that's a good idea. I hope they go well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, so do I although the fact I'm basically sitting the entire of the A level Chemistry course in just over a month is slightly worrying really.
Original post by Anonymous

Last year I also found out that I have a hereditary gene which means that I have >80% risk of getting cancer and when I turn 25, they will start screening me for it. This makes me lucky in a way as it means there is more chance they will catch it early, but it sometimes feels like I have a death sentence hanging over me. Anyone else in a similar position?

How sad. :frown: A friend had breast cancer twice and was told they have to screen her daughter earlier than what they'd do for other women, because there's a chance it's genetic.

My granddad was diagnosed with cancer 3 years ago and was given the all clear 18 months ago. It was in his mouth and throat, which has caused a lot of issues with swallowing. They had to open his gullet up yesterday to enable him to eat again.
Reply 30
Uncle died from brain cancer when it metasticised [or however you spell it] and got into the fluid around the brain. Dad had kidney cancer and is in remission, i feel my chances are pretty crappy.
Such a good thread, really good to read other people's stories- definitely makes you feel that you're not alone. Fair play to people for sharing :smile:

My dad was diagnosed with kidney cancer almost exactly 2 years ago, it was pretty advanced (stage IV) at diagnosis so we weren't too hopeful but after some good therapy (Pazopanib followed by Affinitor- don't know if anyone else has had experiences with these?) he's made it up to now but sadly he's stopped responding to treatment now and so its been withdrawn. Pretty shaken up about it but just trying to crack on with things- exams are looming etc.

Also, chin up to everyone else who's posted- although it might seem like a bit of a marathon doing that at times! Plus, don't assume that because relatives have had cancer that you're going to get it too- there are a million and one causes of every type of cancer, and even if you have a genetic predisposition to it- the environment you live in plays a massive part as well! :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by joshhardwick81
Such a good thread, really good to read other people's stories- definitely makes you feel that you're not alone. Fair play to people for sharing :smile:

My dad was diagnosed with kidney cancer almost exactly 2 years ago, it was pretty advanced (stage IV) at diagnosis so we weren't too hopeful but after some good therapy (Pazopanib followed by Affinitor- don't know if anyone else has had experiences with these?) he's made it up to now but sadly he's stopped responding to treatment now and so its been withdrawn. Pretty shaken up about it but just trying to crack on with things- exams are looming etc.

Also, chin up to everyone else who's posted- although it might seem like a bit of a marathon doing that at times! Plus, don't assume that because relatives have had cancer that you're going to get it too- there are a million and one causes of every type of cancer, and even if you have a genetic predisposition to it- the environment you live in plays a massive part as well! :smile:

Just keep pushing on :smile: Thank you for sharing :smile:
How are you doing?
Reply 33
Me and my friend are doing a sponsored 17K from Bristol city centre up the gorge to Penny Brohn Cancer Care Centre in June :smile:
So far we have raised £85 :biggrin: :woo:
Me and my friend are doing a sponsored 17K from Bristol city centre up the gorge to Penny Brohn Cancer Care Centre in June :smile:
So far we have raised £85 :biggrin: :woo:

That's great! Do you have a way of donating online?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
That's great! Do you have a way of donating online?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, we have a JustGiving page: http://www.justgiving.com/walkforlifebristol x
Reply 36
Original post by cl_steele
Uncle died from brain cancer when it metasticised [or however you spell it] and got into the fluid around the brain. Dad had kidney cancer and is in remission, i feel my chances are pretty crappy.

As hard as it is, please don't think like that!
So my Grandad was rushed into hospital a couple of weeks ago. He'd lost a lot of weight and couldn't eat anything at all. So they did a scan for him and found a tumour on his pancreas/intestine. It's pretty much blocking the opening, so no food can get into his stomach and that's why he was bringing it all back.
Well two days ago they found out for sure that it was cancer, and that it's terminal. They're hoping the put a stent in so he can eat, and he'll be having chemo, but that's just to attempt to slow it a bit.

He's 76 so he isn't young, but he's still not really that old. I was in bits the other night. I'm at university away from home, and had to find out over the phone. (It is the only way, unfortunately) I've just got to keep going and I finish in 3 weeks so I can be with them. It's just so difficult. He's my last Grandparent, and by the end of the year he could be gone. I mean the doctor said 6 months as a guess, and it could be less or more time... My grandad seems pretty well now though, now that they've had him on a drip and food for a week or so. He's his chirpy self again.

I'm running the race for life in june (my other three grandparents all died from cancer...) and so it just means even more now. I'm running for all of them.
Reply 38
Original post by katehlouise
So my Grandad was rushed into hospital a couple of weeks ago. He'd lost a lot of weight and couldn't eat anything at all. So they did a scan for him and found a tumour on his pancreas/intestine. It's pretty much blocking the opening, so no food can get into his stomach and that's why he was bringing it all back.
Well two days ago they found out for sure that it was cancer, and that it's terminal. They're hoping the put a stent in so he can eat, and he'll be having chemo, but that's just to attempt to slow it a bit.

He's 76 so he isn't young, but he's still not really that old. I was in bits the other night. I'm at university away from home, and had to find out over the phone. (It is the only way, unfortunately) I've just got to keep going and I finish in 3 weeks so I can be with them. It's just so difficult. He's my last Grandparent, and by the end of the year he could be gone. I mean the doctor said 6 months as a guess, and it could be less or more time... My grandad seems pretty well now though, now that they've had him on a drip and food for a week or so. He's his chirpy self again.

I'm running the race for life in june (my other three grandparents all died from cancer...) and so it just means even more now. I'm running for all of them.

I'm sorry to hear that!
Just try your best and keep pushing on! I know how you feel; I'm now away from home at uni too and I've had to leave my dad dealing with my Mum's latest diagnosis :frown:

I'm doing a 17K challenge up and around Bristol gorge :smile: I'm raising money in memory of my grandad, 2 close family friends, to support my mum's fight and to celebrate my Dad's and Grandad's all clear :smile:
Yes, we have a JustGiving page: http://www.justgiving.com/walkforlifebristol x

That should complete the target :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest