The Student Room Group

ocr a f325 revision thread

Scroll to see replies

Give 3 properties of transition elements apart from forming coloured compounds (3)
Original post by otrivine
Give 3 properties of transition elements apart from forming coloured compounds (3)

They are all metals so are shiny in appearance and have high densities and high melting and boiling points. They have variable oxidation states. They are able to conduct electricity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MathsNerd1
They are all metals so are shiny in appearance and have high densities and high melting and boiling points. They have variable oxidation states. They are able to conduct electricity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will sadly, have to award you 0 marks , although your answers are correct, in my question I stated 3 and you exceeded 3 so have to penalise you :frown:

my turn
I will sadly, have to award you 0 marks , although your answers are correct, in my question I stated 3 and you exceeded 3 so have to penalise you :frown:

my turn

Surely they wouldn't be allowed to do that in the exam?

What are the 3 main types of electrochemical cells? (3)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surely they wouldn't be allowed to do that in the exam?

What are the 3 main types of electrochemical cells? (3)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do they penalise you? cause I read an examiner report and they said they would ignore the answer?

1) non rechangeable cell
2) rechargeable cell
3) fuel cells
Do they penalise you? cause I read an examiner report and they said they would ignore the answer?

1) non rechangeable cell
2) rechargeable cell
3) fuel cells

Oh, but you're showing you know more than what they want which surely couldn't be a bad thing? Oh well and that's correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, but you're showing you know more than what they want which surely couldn't be a bad thing? Oh well and that's correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, ill give you a benefit of doubt because I am generous today from the sunshine,:biggrin:

thanks

Define:coordination number
Ok, ill give you a benefit of doubt because I am generous today from the sunshine,:biggrin:

thanks

Define:coordination number

Oh no, if its not allowed then be as harsh as they would be otherwise it'll be pointless really.

A coordinate number is the total number of coordinate bonds (dative covalent) formed between the central metal ion and its ligands.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh no, if its not allowed then be as harsh as they would be otherwise it'll be pointless really.

A coordinate number is the total number of coordinate bonds (dative covalent) formed between the central metal ion and its ligands.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perfect!

my turn
Perfect!

my turn

Explain how the ionic size and charge effects the lattice enthalpy (3)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Explain how the ionic size and charge effects the lattice enthalpy (3)

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the ionic sizes of the two (or more) ions are small then the ions pack more closely together and will result in a strong electrostatic attaction between oppositely charged ions and hence, more energy will be needed to break or sepeate the attractive forces between the ions, so more exothermic.

Higher charge density the more exothermic the reaction will be as there is a strong attraction between the ions and more energy needed to break/separate forces.
If the ionic sizes of the two (or more) ions are small then the ions pack more closely together and will result in a strong electrostatic attaction between oppositely charged ions and hence, more energy will be needed to break or sepeate the attractive forces between the ions, so more exothermic.

Higher charge density the more exothermic the reaction will be as there is a strong attraction between the ions and more energy needed to break/separate forces.

Correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

are you being a harsh marker?

What is the colour of Mn2+(aq)
are you being a harsh marker?

What is the colour of Mn2+(aq)

I've been checking back to the book just to be certain, so I'm marking it fairly and it's pale pink but whenever I do experiments it's always appearing colourless, in solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been checking back to the book just to be certain, so I'm marking it fairly and it's pale pink but whenever I do experiments it's always appearing colourless, in solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

perfect, well done you really are doing well with extra details :biggrin:

my turn
perfect, well done you really are doing well with extra details :biggrin:

my turn

Okay, explain what types of indicators do we need to know about, what is the starting, ending and change colours and which indicators would you use in these cases. 1) strong base strong acid 2) weak base strong acid 3) weak acid strong base and finally 4) weak base and weak acid. (6)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, explain what types of indicators do we need to know about, what is the starting, ending and change colours and which indicators would you use in these cases. 1) strong base strong acid 2) weak base strong acid 3) weak acid strong base and finally 4) weak base and weak acid. (6)

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) strong acid strong base
use methyl orange and phenolphatelin
starting orange, colourless, pink

2) strong acid , weak base

use methyorange
colour changes from colourless to orange

3) strong base, weak acid
pheolphtalien
colourless to pink

4) weak acid, weak base
no indicators used because there is no equivalence point and so PH range does not match vertical section of graph in titration curve
1) strong acid strong base
use methyl orange and phenolphatelin
starting orange, colourless, pink

2) strong acid , weak base

use methyorange
colour changes from colourless to orange

3) strong base, weak acid
pheolphtalien
colourless to pink

4) weak acid, weak base
no indicators used because there is no equivalence point and so PH range does not match vertical section of graph in titration curve

That's all correct although for methyl orange I wouldn't say it goes from colourless to orange but red to orange and then going to yellow in the basic conditions, I don't think I explained it very well, sorry :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's all correct although for methyl orange I wouldn't say it goes from colourless to orange but red to orange and then going to yellow in the basic conditions, I don't think I explained it very well, sorry :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

so for strong acid -strong base

can you tell me the colour changes again please?

why is water ligands repel less than chloride ligands(1)
so for strong acid -strong base

can you tell me the colour changes again please?

why is water ligands repel less than chloride ligands(1)

You got them all correct, I was just asking for phenolphthalein the acidic colour, neutral colour and basic colour, same for methyl orange but you got all the actual combinations correct and such.

Does it have to do with the fact chlorine is more electronegativity than either hydrogen or oxygen so will have a greater charge causing more repelling?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending