The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

At what point will the reading list be posted for English Lit at Glasgow Uni 2013?

I recently firmed Glasgow Uni for English Lit, and I'm just wondering when the reading list will be posted?

If it's not yet posted and will not be for some time, could somebody please refer me to the previous year's reading list?

Thank you :')
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Absity
I recently firmed Glasgow Uni for English Lit, and I'm just wondering when the reading list will be posted?

If it's not yet posted and will not be for some time, could somebody please refer me to the previous year's reading list?

You might try emailing the convener, but I don't think the list is going to be posted anywhere publicly (just on Moodle where you'll have access to it after you register for the course in September), besides course content changes from year to year so last year's list might be a bit useless. I'm 85% sure that The Norton Anthology of Poetry is going to continue being used for the poetry component of the course, though, so if you really want to start reading, you could start with that. (NB: you don't have to read the whole anthology on the course, but it has a good selection of poems and you'll study / discuss a lot of different kinds of poems from different periods etc so reading as many poems in it that you're not familiar with should be useful)
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by Absity

At the applicants Open Day a few weeks ago they handed out the reading list for 2013-14. This is what it looks like:

- The Norton Anthology of Theory & Criticism, editied by Vincent Leitch (W. W. Norton & Co, 2nd edition, 2010)
- Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, edited by Thomas Keymer (Oxford World's Classics, 2008)
- Jane Austen, Emma, edited by Adela Pinch and James Kinsley (Oxford World's Classics, 2008)
- Charles Dickens, Hard Times, edited by Paul Schlicke (Oxford World's Classics, 2008)
- Henry James, In the Cage, (Hesperus Classics, 2002)
- Virginia Woolf, Orlando: A Biography, edited by Rachel Bowlby (Oxford World's Classics, 2008)
- Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, edited by Emory Elliott (Oxford World's Classics, 2008)
- Martin McDonagh, The Pillowman (Faber & Faber, 2003)

I've only read two; Huckleberry Finn's really good (I just finished my dissertation on it yesterday), but I reaaaaaally didn't like Orlando.
Reply 3
Original post by IgnatiusReilly
At the applicants Open Day a few weeks ago they handed out the reading list for 2013-14. This is what it looks like:

- The Norton Anthology of Theory & Criticism, editied by Vincent Leitch (W. W. Norton & Co, 2nd edition, 2010)
- Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, edited by Thomas Keymer (Oxford World's Classics, 2008)
- Jane Austen, Emma, edited by Adela Pinch and James Kinsley (Oxford World's Classics, 2008)
- Charles Dickens, Hard Times, edited by Paul Schlicke (Oxford World's Classics, 2008)
- Virginia Woolf, Orlando: A Biography, edited by Rachel Bowlby (Oxford World's Classics, 2008)
- Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, edited by Emory Elliott (Oxford World's Classics, 2008)

I've only read two; Huckleberry Finn's really good (I just finished my dissertation on it yesterday), but I reaaaaaally didn't like Orlando.

Ah, thank you! I'm assuming they only have a reading list for the first year?
Original post by vicizmax

No proooblem. Yeah, just the first year.
Reply 5
Thanks for your replies guys, it's a real help. There aren't as many as I thought there would be so that's great. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by vicizmax

No proooblem. Yeah, just the first year.

Original post by Absity
Thanks for your replies guys, it's a real help. There aren't as many as I thought there would be so that's great. :smile:

I got this same list at the open day, although I haven't actually started reading any of them yet. How are you guys getting on with it?
Reply 7
Oh Lord, I saw this on the open day, but thought it was last years' list *facepalm* I've only read Emma, but I have seen my friend in The Pillowman, it was her A2 final piece for Performing Arts - very, very odd and pretty scary stuff! But a brilliant play :biggrin:

Man, gotta go and buy some of these fast :P

Is there any book anyone's looking forward to reading in particular? Orlando sounds tough, but I'm intrigued by it nonetheless, it MUST be easier than reading Joyce anyway...
Reply 8
do we have to read these till September? :O

How important do you guys think the editions will be? I have a couple of these already but in different editions.

Also loving the username, Ignatius :smile:
Don't know if anybody else has seen this, but it turns out that the reading list has (annoyingly) been changed. Somebody has very helpfully posted the link to the new one in another forum, but just in case that's been missed, the reading list is here:

http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/englishliterature/courses/

Just like before, we're doing Poetry & Poetics, and the Novel & Narratology. Some of it's the same, but authors have different novels, or are gone completely (and I just finished Hard Times yesterday! Grrr.)

Original post by theplaceilive
How important do you guys think the editions will be? I have a couple of these already but in different editions.

Also loving the username, Ignatius :smile:

I always assumed that the editions were important (for the purposes of markers being easily able to check certain quotes at certain pages, and stuff like that) but the new reading list doesn't actually specify any particular editions. Either way, we've got until January to buy specific editions if they're needed, which is alright.

Also, cheers!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
I posted the discussion with the reading list and forgot to mention when speaking to the head of English I asked about editions and she said if we already owned them it would be fine. However, if not it's best to purchase the specific editions :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone any idea of a good order in which to buy the books - i.e which I'll need first?
Reply 13
Original post by rachaelxjane
Has anyone any idea of a good order in which to buy the books - i.e which I'll need first?

The poetry ones and Romeo and Juliet :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by YasmineJ
The poetry ones and Romeo and Juliet :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending