The Student Room Group

Nestle CEO wants to privatize water

The Nestle CEO Peter Brabeck has released a video stating why he thinks water should be privatized.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTqvBhFVdvE&feature=player_embedded

Its scary that a man like this is head of one of the biggest companies in the world. What are your thoughts on his arguments? I personally think he's scum, sub-human scum

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Watching now.

No doubt I'll be appealed.

edit: yep, vile person
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
:lolwut: what is wrong with this guy

He called "water a public right" as a extreme view by NGO's..... but privatising water which actually has no owner and exists everywhere as ok :lolwut:

Guys crazy, never ever ever gonna happen.........imagine going to the beach and going into the sea and being charged for it, ridicuolous.

edit: fire2burn to is right, we already pay for water, but technically we pay for cleaned water which is safe and drinkable, but I think he might have been refering to all the water or maybe not ....... though I do believe, everyone deserves a source of safe, drinkable water for survival at least.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
He does come across as being a bit creepy and sinister however...

Water is already privatised :s-smilie: If you live in a Western nation you invariably have to pay for it. I can't just walk into Lidl and take a bottle of water off the shelf without paying, I can't run my dishwasher or flush my toilet at home without paying the water company who manage my supply, even if I get a 'free' glass of tap water at a restaurant the owner of that establishment ultimately pays for it through their water bills. It's already a privatised commodity just like food, electricity, oil, etc.

It costs huge sums of money to extract water from aquifers, maintain reservoirs, purify the water on an industrial scale to ensure purity and safety, and then maintain thousands of miles of pipes and pumping stations. It's far from free.

If people want to drink from dirty puddles and streams like a poverty stricken nation be my guest and live off grid, I quite like being able to turn on the tap and pour myself a glass of water safe in the knowledge that I'm not going to keel over and die from dysentery or typhoid. That ultimately means having to pay someone who's job it is to provide that service because I am unable to provide it myself.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
I don't understand - water is already privatised? We all have to pay the bills for it to be pumped into/out of our homes.

Anyway, whatever next - privatising air?
Reply 5
This is the cooporation responsible of hundreds and thousands of deaths in Africa... Clever ***** aren't they selling powder milk for money... When in fact the poor people grab water from sewage and other unhealthy and fatal sources.
So their strategy is... Sell powder milk(£££££s) + Dirty water = Death! how's about they sell powder milk with a bit of sterile milk...
Seriously this company needs to die.
Reply 6
He's an example of a far right nutjob, in terms of the economic spectrum. I think one of the clearest signs of an extreamist is someone who considers those with fairly mainsteam views to be an extreamist. I think clean and safe water being a right is a pretty mainsteam view.
Reply 7
I thought it already was. By a foreign company. Letting foreigners control your water is a pretty ****ing stupid thing to do.
Reply 9
As usual, TSR right up there with the current affairs.

Read the headline, "learn" something from Youtube, hurl some abuse.

The guy hasn't been at Nestle for years.

And you guys have the front to say the Daily Mail spreads misinformation.
Reply 10
Original post by Clip
As usual, TSR right up there with the current affairs.

Read the headline, "learn" something from Youtube, hurl some abuse.

And you guys have the front to say the Daily Mail spreads misinformation.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sustainable-business/nestle-peter-brabeck-attitude-water-change-stewardship
Or Wikipedia could be wrong?
There's a simple way to deal with people like this: boycott their products.

If everyone just stopped buying Nestle products, the company would tank. It would not be bailed out like the banks, it doesn't have those kinds of lobbyists with their hands up our politicians' back sides..
Reply 12
Original post by Clip

He is chairman, he stepped down as CEO but he is still chairman and still at Nestlé.
Reply 13
Original post by Krack
He is chairman, he stepped down as CEO but he is still chairman and still at Nestlé.

What does the title of this thread say?
Reply 14
Original post by Clip
What does the title of this thread say?

CEO however you said he hadn't been at Nestlé for years which is incorrect as he is chairman, it is irrelevant as to what the title is, it is your own post I took issue with.
Reply 15
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
There's a simple way to deal with people like this: boycott their products.

If everyone just stopped buying Nestle products, the company would tank. It would not be bailed out like the banks, it doesn't have those kinds of lobbyists with their hands up our politicians' back sides..

They have 8,000 brands worldwide, it would be near impossible to boycott them especially as not all of them are immediately associated with Nestlé, it is like News Corp.
Reply 16
P&G, Kellogg, Unilever, Kraft and Mars are truly angelic in comparison with Nestle.
German-speaking people always made me sick and here is yet another example, never trust them and their ordnung and never let them get the upper hand, it will end with stoves full of human bodies.
Reply 17
Original post by Krack
They have 8,000 brands worldwide, it would be near impossible to boycott them especially as not all of them are immediately associated with Nestlé, it is like News Corp.

It is possible if you put in some effort, they have strong (and more responsible) competitors.
Original post by cakefish
I don't understand - water is already privatised? We all have to pay the bills for it to be pumped into/out of our homes.

Anyway, whatever next - privatising air?

Air is privatised in China in the form of canned air :lol:
Original post by Krack

We don't need to boycott them all, just enough to hurt them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending