The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by billybo_h
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/18/david-luiz-chelsea-captain-john-terry

Interesting article. On 5live the other day the same topic came up, and, due to his experience captains Brazil it seems like a logical step. As much as I like and respect Cech (probably my favourite player of this era), he seems more culpable to make mistakes when captain - as if the pressure of controlling the team is drawing focus away from his primary duties. Apropos Luiz's defensive errors, my dad and I both believe the captaincy would have an opposite effect upon him, causing him to play up to the role and draw in any negative aspects of his play. There is hearsay that Terry could do what Desailly did for him and give up the captaincy to a player who will be starting every match.

The other play who I could see captaining us is Chalobah - who was touted as a future England captain when he was only 16. Whenever I go to Watford games (my local team), whilst not captain, he has an incredible amount of authority in that group of players - especially considering he is surrounded by a player who has captained Roma, and another who has captained the Swiss International side. It will be interesting seeing what happens regarding the captaincy in the next few years.

I kind of agree with you. Luiz with the captaincy could work. He needs to cut out defensive errors however, but I'd like him to have the captaincy as he seems to be the kind of player who would force the team onwards and push for a winner/equaliser and luiz seems to have great games whenever the team has momentum. He was poor vs city in the first half e.g. but in the second half after we got the goal he was absolute quality.

If chalobah makes it into the first team in the next year or two as a starter and plays well we should give it to him though. Would love to see a young captain, but obviously he needs to be able to get respect from the players first which would be tough at his age but being in the first team and performing well it won't be too much on his shoulders. We'll probably give it to luiz I think considering cech will be competing for game time with courtois who I think is at the same level of ability.
Reply 981
Original post by cleveradam
Only one proper manager can make sure Chelsea start winning properly again - that is Jose Mourinho. All the other managers don't have the strength/courage to ask for more control over decisions against Abramovitch. Jose Mourinho would be the kind of character/manager that is required. Schurrle looks like a good striker but we can't keep putting in 20 year olds, especially if Terry and Lampard won't get new contracts, this will result in no experience apart from Cech/Cole and Ivanovic next season.

What do you mean. We have experienced players and what does it matter if we have a younger average age. Look at bayern munich they've dealt with putting in the likes of muller, kroos, alaba in during recent times and dortmund haven't done too badly with all their young players. We'll have mata who's experienced imo, been at the club for 3 years performing at a high level since he was a little 18 year old travelling from madrid to valencia. We'll have enough experience imo.

Well what about ancelotti then? He did well for us and got us winning again, that second season was unlucky but our squad was **** that season with key players lost and not being replaced(ballack for ramires was ****ing stupid and trying to play with 2 centre backs and the 3rd at right back for the first half of the season) Mourinho would be good and the best option but I'd absolutely love to have pellegrini here and I rate him very highly.

We'll have experienced players in essien, mikel, ivanovic, cole, mata, luiz and cech plus with terry staying for next season that's 6 experienced players who would presumably get a lot of games next season.
Original post by jam277
If only he could do that in a real match. :colonhash:

As long as he keeps that mask on we could see that happening...

--

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/04/20/3917192/chelsea-the-latest-to-benefit-from-barcelona-youth-star

Don't know who he is but considering that other clubs were looking to sign him and the fact that Barca are apparently keen to keep him, then this deal shouldn't be so bad...
Reply 983
We're going to end up losing a gifted player if we force De Bruyne to go out on loan to Leverkusen.

He signed a 5 year contract. Spent a year on loan at Genk, another at Werder Bremen, a potential third at Leverkusen. Unlikely he'd ever sign another contract with us, when a crapload of teams will probably be on the hunt for him and guarantee him football.

Very dangerous approach by Chelsea tbh. It'll be one of the most disappointing losses we'll ever have.
Reply 984
Original post by Yawn-er
We're going to end up losing a gifted player if we force De Bruyne to go out on loan to Leverkusen.

He signed a 5 year contract. Spent a year on loan at Genk, another at Werder Bremen, a potential third at Leverkusen. Unlikely he'd ever sign another contract with us, when a crapload of teams will probably be on the hunt for him and guarantee him football.

Very dangerous approach by Chelsea tbh. It'll be one of the most disappointing losses we'll ever have.

5 and a half year deal. Bought in January half a year at Genk, one at Bremen. Still got 4 years left on his contract.
Reply 985
Original post by Tweek
5 and a half year deal. Bought in January half a year at Genk, one at Bremen. Still got 4 years left on his contract.

That's a little better.

De Bruyne scout report
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 986
Original post by Yawn-er
That's a little better.

A little but I'll still be annoyed as hell if he's sold. Far better player to Moses, and will be a much better player than Schurrle when he starts reaching his potential. One of the main reasons Bremen hasn't be relegated. 3rd highest scorer for them and most assists. Highly talented.
Cahill + Cole could be ready for the match tomorrow.
Reply 988
Original post by jam277
I kind of agree with you. Luiz with the captaincy could work. He needs to cut out defensive errors however, but I'd like him to have the captaincy as he seems to be the kind of player who would force the team onwards and push for a winner/equaliser and luiz seems to have great games whenever the team has momentum. He was poor vs city in the first half e.g. but in the second half after we got the goal he was absolute quality.

If chalobah makes it into the first team in the next year or two as a starter and plays well we should give it to him though. Would love to see a young captain, but obviously he needs to be able to get respect from the players first which would be tough at his age but being in the first team and performing well it won't be too much on his shoulders. We'll probably give it to luiz I think considering cech will be competing for game time with courtois who I think is at the same level of ability.

Don't you believe that the captaincy, and the increased pressure that comes with it, could be the cause for him to iron out his mistakes. Whenever I've seen him captain Brazil he seems very composed, and I feel he could carry that over to the club. I do agree with you regarding him being the player who can drive the team forward when both under pressure and whilst already winning; some of the marauding runs he makes whilst the team stagnates around him are amazing.

Went to the Watford 4-0 win against Blackburn today, and Chalobah was fantastic again. It really does seem to be that when he plays well the team plays well and when he is bad the team is terrible. He does the same driving runs as Luiz, but his real talent is the time he has on the ball. Even when he only ventures 5 yards from the centre circle, he receives more of the ball, and plays 35/40 yard passes to elsewhere on the pitch, whilst 3 or 4 players run and attempt to tackle him. He really is a joy to watch, and it will be thoroughly diss appointing if he never fully succeeds in our team.

Also, anyone who has been watching the FA Youth Cup, or watched the NextGen, what do you make of John Swift? He looks seriously talented, and the goal he scored the other day (setting up and finishing the counter attack) was uncannily Lampard-esque.
Reply 989
Original post by jam277
It's in small goals as well. Makes me wonder that torres still has a lot of ability. Weird player we have here...
Mate did the same thing to me when we were playing footy :sigh:

Hopefully he can get a flurry of goals in this last month to make his goal tally more respectable(although it is fairly decent already) needs to keep on wearing that mask.

Torres is still a fantastic player IMO but its our playing style which doesn't suit him i think he has loads of goals in him if he is played to his strength and i wont be surpirised if he turns to score loads of goals if he leaves in summer, even if we had messi on our team i think he would struggle to score goals
Reply 990
Imo this system suits Torres just fine, albeit he doesn't receive as much of the ball as a striker might like but this is mostly because people clearly have lack of confidence in him. When you look up and see Hazard, Mata and Torres all available for the ball unless Torres is on for a tap in you're not really going to aim for him are you? Even if he keeps up this form he's not good enough to be the main striker of a PL winning team imo.
Reply 991
Original post by Sebister
Torres is still a fantastic player IMO but its our playing style which doesn't suit him i think he has loads of goals in him if he is played to his strength and i wont be surpirised if he turns to score loads of goals if he leaves in summer, even if we had messi on our team i think he would struggle to score goals

Here's your answer. Bit in bold is not right as well. Real madrid play differently to how united played with ronaldo and he's still scoring **** loads of goals like he was before. Messi would still get 60+ goals if he played for us, even at a rainy wednesday night at stoke.

Original post by mhsc
Imo this system suits Torres just fine, albeit he doesn't receive as much of the ball as a striker might like but this is mostly because people clearly have lack of confidence in him. When you look up and see Hazard, Mata and Torres all available for the ball unless Torres is on for a tap in you're not really going to aim for him are you? Even if he keeps up this form he's not good enough to be the main striker of a PL winning team imo.

Ditto. Couldn't have said this better. His runs and off the ball movement aren't that amazing as people think either otherwise we'd find him more often with lampards/luiz's/mata's long/chipped balls(see demba ba's last 2 goals). He's not as offside as much though. Really if he was a good enough striker he'd be adaptable to all types of games and playing styles. Messi/falcao would easily fit our team even though we're calling for a complete forward who holds up the ball allowing our men to get forward quicker like falcao/cavani.

If we put lukaku in as the main striker who would you want as the backup striker? If we buy schurle then obviously marin would be reserved(who I personally don't give a **** about he was 8 mill for a reason) and our bench would look like. Turnbull, bertrand, de bruyne, moses, schurle, ivan/terry and one of torres/ba. This means either de bruyne won't get a chance as terry and ivan will be on the bench at the very least and obviously we need a CM in there like romeu/essien. Coming to think of it we really don't need another winger and we had the squad this season to challenge on all fronts. We were very unfortunate that romeu got ACL damage but 3/4 CM's for 2 positions(city have 4), 2 strikers in a 1 man attack and 5 in a 3 man AM/winger system is more than enough. Real madrid have done fine with a similar structure to ours and are potentially going to win a double and get the status of best team in europe. Only difference is that they have better CM's than us and ronaldo to bail them out but mata and hazard aren't the worst players in the world either. I don't think there's any excuse for us finishing outside the top 4 even with our run in. The quicker we find that CM man the quicker we can get back to winning titles as these last 3 seasons have pissed me off the teams that have won the title are so weak compared to 5/15 years ago with the invincibles/mourinho's chelsea and the treble/double united teams.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 992
Original post by Yawn-er

We're doing the same thing with courtois personally, however I'm not too fussed because we've done well with him. He's clearly going to give us a lot of money. Maybe de bruyne may do the same for us.
Original post by jam277
We're doing the same thing with courtois personally, however I'm not too fussed because we've done well with him. He's clearly going to give us a lot of money. Maybe de bruyne may do the same for us.

If you lose Courtois you'll likely get 20 million or so for him.
I don't want to lose Courtois :frown:
Reply 995
Original post by Malevolent
If you lose Courtois you'll likely get 20 million or so for him.

Which is a 200% profit on him. Pretty decent fee for a goalkeeper, considering only buffon has costed more than that, cech costed 9 million and we've got a keeper still playing at the highest level at the age of 32. He'd probably go to barcelona which is fair enough. Unless cech is showing signs of real decline there is no point selling him I don't like this policy of sell over 30s/not renew contracts look at xavi, puyol, lampard, pirlo, giggs, drogba, zanetti still delivering the goods at such an old age and they're not even goalkeepers and cech wouldn't get us as much money as courtois will.

There's also this legendary united keeper who won a premier league title at the age of 41 with one of his best seasons so as long as Cech doesn't suffer from injuries we'd be fine. All I want is a decent backup keeper who wouldn't actually straight up challenge for the position like sorensen/mignolet/zieler/fabianski or matej delac if he steps up. We can get another young and upcoming keeper if really needed and as courtois is on a long contract if cech shows decline we'll just use courtois instead. If this was FM I'd have said lower the squad age but this isn't FM :lol:...

Original post by The Assassin
I don't want to lose Courtois :frown:

I wouldn't be too fussed, I trust our scouting network personally we'd find another gem like that. Cech can still go on for a long time and personally I'd find it hard to see him turn into cudicini/friedel. I guess I want to look at the two players though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Which is a 200% profit on him. Pretty decent fee for a goalkeeper, considering only buffon has costed more than that, cech costed 9 million and we've got a keeper still playing at the highest level at the age of 32. He'd probably go to barcelona which is fair enough. Unless cech is showing signs of real decline there is no point keeping him I don't like this policy of sell over 30s/not renew contracts look at xavi, puyol, lampard, pirlo, giggs, drogba, zanetti still delivering the goods at such an old age and they're not even goalkeepers. There's also this legendary united keeper who won a premier league title at the age of 41 with one of his best seasons so as long as Cech doesn't suffer from injuries we'd be fine. All I want is a decent backup keeper who wouldn't actually straight up challenge for the position like sorensen/mignolet/zieler/fabianski or matej delac if he steps up.

I wouldn't be too fussed, I trust our scouting network personally we'd find another gem like that. Cech can still go on for a long time and personally I'd find it hard to see him turn into cudicini/friedel. I guess I want to look at the two players though.

Exactly you make a huge profit on him and Cech still looks quality. Hes 30 he can go on realistically for at least another 6-7 years bar injuries and possibly longer. Courtois will not want to keep going on loan every season, he might be okay with it for now but in the future he will want to stay at the club. I dunno I haven't heard anything about Barcelona and Courtois in ages it seems its Ter Stegen who we keep being linked to now.
Reply 997
Original post by Malevolent
Exactly you make a huge profit on him and Cech still looks quality. Hes 30 he can go on realistically for at least another 6-7 years bar injuries and possibly longer. Courtois will not want to keep going on loan every season, he might be okay with it for now but in the future he will want to stay at the club. I dunno I haven't heard anything about Barcelona and Courtois in ages it seems its Ter Stegen who we keep being linked to now.

Kinda want reina at yours so you can have 11 youth squad players in the team next season and keep that 'barca DNA' :lol: but yeah ter stegen would be great for you guys.
Original post by jam277

I don't know man. Courtois isn't just good for his age - he's brilliant. The amount of goals Athletico have conceded this season is much less than last year, a lot thanks to him. It's definitely possible for us to get another good young keeper but I don't really have confidence in the idea that they'll be just as good. He said himself that he'd like to stay another year there but ideally he should be sent to a premier league club so he can get a taste of the English game. But yeah - I understand about Courtois getting us money if he was sold. I wish I had the same confidence in Cech as you do, lol. Maybe if Courtois was sent to a premier league club Cech could be assessed on how well he's done in comparison and then the board/RA could decide what to do from there.

Also, I believe Cech was bought for only 7m - not 9m :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Kinda want reina at yours so you can have 11 youth squad players in the team next season and keep that 'barca DNA' :lol: but yeah ter stegen would be great for you guys.

No thank you don't want Reina hes not been great for a while has he? Good guy though personality wise. Ter Stegen maybe even a cheeky 25 million bid for Casillas? :moon:

Latest