The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by King Hotpie
The AS coursework itself isn't that bad, it's the ridiculously high grade boundaries that are the problem. :frown:

Indeed, so agree with this! What did you get /60 in yours?:wink:

Original post by nukethemaly
Wait till you get to the A2 coursework. You will hate yourself for picking chemistry.

I already hate myself for picking it:tongue:
Original post by cheetahs56
Indeed, so agree with this! What did you get /60 in yours?:wink:

I already hate myself for picking it:tongue:

At the moment I think I'm on 42, assuming I get 10 on the competency. By carefully analysing past grade boundaries I make that just a C. I've still got another go at the observation though (I'm currently on 4 with that :colondollar:), so I might be able to push it up to a B, but it's a big might!
Reply 42
Sorry, it's not letting me quote:colondollar:. But 42 isn't bad, especially when you have another observation, in my first one I got 5 on practical observation, in the 2nd one I got 11! So i'm sure you'll push it up, anywhere near an A is a good score and the exam is worth 50% so as long as you get an A in that it'll balance out:wink:
Sorry, it's not letting me quote:colondollar:. But 42 isn't bad, especially when you have another observation, in my first one I got 5 on practical observation, in the 2nd one I got 11! So i'm sure you'll push it up, anywhere near an A is a good score and the exam is worth 50% so as long as you get an A in that it'll balance out:wink:

Yeah, that's what I'm counting on. It just feels like a horrid stain on my record since I've got As in everything so far :rolleyes:. How are you doing with it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by King Hotpie
Yeah, that's what I'm counting on. It just feels like a horrid stain on my record since I've got As in everything so far :rolleyes:. How are you doing with it?

Mine is finished, got either 47 or 49 on it (not sure if they will give me 10 or 12 on competency yet). An A on F331, and (hopefully!!) Similar thing on F332:biggrin:

And keep working mate, this exam like I said is massive:tongue:
Reply 45
Hi guys, I'm doing a 3rd year as I didn't quite get the grades to go to sussex Uni for physics and I had to move college to do so. Currently the college i'm at is doing a different exam board to the one I need to take. So i am having to do independant study for this b*tch of an exam. I know it's synoptic, but can any of you just outline the main topics in this unit, can't remember from 2 years ago :confused:
to get a b for as
and i currently have around 88% out of 60 for f333
and i have 67/90 for f331 (which is like 2 raw marks of an A)

what would i need in this f332 paper?

Also, how is everybody else revising for this exam? using the storylines to learn everything and then revising everything referred to in the ideas also? or just learning every chemical idea for the modules?:colondollar:
Original post by NielsBohrsDad
to get a b for as

Also, how is everybody else revising for this exam? using the storylines to learn everything and then revising everything referred to in the ideas also? or just learning every chemical idea for the modules?:colondollar:

F331: 88% of 60 = 52.8 UMS
F333: 67 UMS

For a B, you need a total of 210 UMS.

210 - 52.8 - 67 = 90.2 UMS

So you would need 91/150 in F332 for a B overall in AS.
Reply 48
Original post by NielsBohrsDad
to get a b for as

90% of storylines is pointless, so I would advise against basing your revision around that. If you have the official revision guide it tells you which bits from storylines you need to know as well as the chapters from chemical ideas :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by madrevision
Guys i'm thinking about making a folder with common question that come up regularly and model answers for them. Would anyone else want to use it- I just want to know if it's worth doing :smile:

Nice idea, I'd like to have it :smile:
Thanks
Reply 50
Guys i'm thinking about making a folder with common question that come up regularly and model answers for them. Would anyone else want to use it- I just want to know if it's worth doing :smile:

That sounds like a great idea!
Reply 51
i got 56 in the coursework but an E in the exam :mad: got 12/12 on both my practicals, obviously more of a practical chemist:colondollar:
Reply 52
when naming alkenes how are we supposed to know whether its a cyclic or non-cyclic alkene?:frown:
Reply 53
Original post by blondie24
i got 56 in the coursework but an E in the exam :mad: got 12/12 on both my practicals, obviously more of a practical chemist:colondollar:

Are you re-sitting? If so then you have plenty of opportunity to smash the exams and pull your grade up:tongue:. 56 is awesome, well done:smile:
Reply 54
Original post by blondie24
when naming alkenes how are we supposed to know whether its a cyclic or non-cyclic alkene?:frown:

A cycloalkene has a closed ring of carbon atoms.

E.g. This is cyclopentene:

cyclopentene.png

And this is pentene:

pentene.png

Make sense? :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by usycool1
A cycloalkene has a closed ring of carbon atoms.

E.g. This is cyclopentene:

cyclopentene.png

And this is pentene:

pentene.png

Make sense? :smile:

I thought they meant if you have been given the molecular formula, e.g. C4H8 and they were asking how you would tell the difference, as both groups have a general formula of CnH2n:colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought they meant if you have been given the molecular formula, e.g. C4H8 and they were asking how you would tell the difference, as both groups have a general formula of CnH2n:colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you count up the carbons and hydrogens on the cyclopentene, you can clearly tell they both don't share the same general formula, since for cyclopentene its C5H8 [a general formula of CnH(2n - 2) for a cycloalkene containing one double bond], whereas a "normal" pentene with just one double bond at the end is C5H10 [or a general formula of CnH2n]

Also, sorry, I should've quoted the user who originally asked this question, oops!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 57
If you count up the carbons and hydrogens on the cyclopentene, you can clearly tell they both don't share the same general formula, since for cyclopentene its C5H8 [a general formula of CnH(2n - 2) for a cycloalkene containing one double bond], whereas a "normal" pentene with just one double bond at the end is C5H10 [or a general formula of CnH2n]

Also, sorry, I should've quoted the user who originally asked this question, oops!

Wow that's awkward lol, just realised it is Cyclo-Alkanes and Alkenes that share the same formula, sorry:colondollar:. And thanks for clearing that up for me, doesn't matter that you quoted me cos now i've learnt something:wink:
Yep! That's a brilliant idea actually.
Ok so someone messaged me or something- it was a notification and I don't know how to view it again but I think they were asking about the recurring questions thing I said I was going to do. I have been really busy so I haven't really done much but here is what I have so far. It's really messy atm but if you guys have any ideas on how to make the info more readable in terms of highlighting or layout please do voice your suggestions. Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 59
Ok so someone messaged me or something- it was a notification and I don't know how to view it again but I think they were asking about the recurring questions thing I said I was going to do. I have been really busy so I haven't really done much but here is what I have so far. It's really messy atm but if you guys have any ideas on how to make the info more readable in terms of highlighting or layout please do voice your suggestions. Thanks :biggrin:

This is really good, I made some notes from mark schemes a while back which I can add to this :smile:

How do modern catalysts work?
-Adsorb the molecule (you will lose the mark if you write absorb)
-Break it's bonds
-Make new bonds
-Release it

What is the main intermolecular bond that arises between polyethene chains and how does it occur?
-Instantaneous dipole-induced dipole
-At a certain moment in time the electrons may be closer to one side of the molecule creating an instantaneous dipole
-This can induce a dipole in an unchanged molecule then repel it

How can compounds exist as a pair of E/Z isomers?
-It has a double bond to prevent it from rotating
-It has two different groups on each of the C=C (note: you will lose the mark if you say 'functional groups')

What is meant by 'heating under reflux'?
-Boiling a liquid in a closed system
-So that no product is lost

Why does formation of ozone not take place in the troposphere?
-High frequency radiation is only present in the stratosphere
-O radicals are formed by the photodissociation of O2

I'll edit this and add some more later :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending