The Student Room Group

HYMS Medicine A100 2013 Offer Holders

Hi everyone! I thought I'd start a new thread for prospective students who have received an offer from HYMS to start this September.. Anyone who is definitely planning on choosing HYMS as their firm choice? Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are about the medical school, campus allocation, students' social life etc.. I've received an offer from HYMS and have firmed it, and it would be great to hear from anyone else who has done/is doing the same.

Will be nice to hear what people think

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yay! :woo: I've also firmed HYMS :biggrin: I actually cannot wait to get up there! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Haha you sound very excited :biggrin: you reckon it's gonna be good?? Sure we'd enjoy it wherever we go though.. Was it your first choice? and hull or york?? :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by cgcheetham
Haha you sound very excited :biggrin: you reckon it's gonna be good?? Sure we'd enjoy it wherever we go though.. Was it your first choice? and hull or york?? :biggrin:

I really am xD I didn't think I'd get in at all and I loved the interview so much that I just can't wait to be done with A-Levels and start Medicine :biggrin:
I think it's going to be amazing! Strangely it wasn't my first choice...only because I'd been to visit the other three, but not HYMS and the fact that it's like 7 hours away from home :P but I am so glad that things have turned out the way they have :smile:
I actually don't have much of a preference. York is beautiful but quite expensive (for me :P) whereas Hull seems less of a nice place to live, but is so much cheaper :smile: How about you? What do you think of the whole thing? :smile:
Reply 4
Hey I've also selected HYMS as my firm choice! I think it's going to be a great experience and can't wait to get there :smile:
Reply 5
You LOVED the interview? Whaaaaat are you crazy?! I actually came out of my interview laughing my head off because it seemed to go so badly! They asked me about 'imperurbability' and other strange things that I had no idea about! So I just winged it and then it turned out they offered me a place?! Don't think I've ever been so surprised in my life haha. Yaay another person going!! :biggrin: So you're both really excited about going! How are all your A-levels going? Getting ready for the summer exams? :s-smilie:
Reply 6
I felt the same way leaving my interview, really wasn't expecting an offer! I'm doing maths, biology and chemistry and my maths and biology are going fine, chemistry on the other hand is a bit of a struggle because I've a rubbish teacher in school but I'll hopefully get it...fingers crossed! The exams are sooo close now, finding it hard to believe about 9 weeks time high schools all over for me!
Hi! I'm a deffered offer holder from last year and I can't wait to hopefully see you all at HYMS in September! I'm hoping for Hull campus because I think it's a much nicer university that York, although York is a nicer city (to me).
Reply 8
You LOVED the interview? Whaaaaat are you crazy?! I actually came out of my interview laughing my head off because it seemed to go so badly! They asked me about 'imperurbability' and other strange things that I had no idea about! So I just winged it and then it turned out they offered me a place?! Don't think I've ever been so surprised in my life haha. Yaay another person going!! :biggrin: So you're both really excited about going! How are all your A-levels going? Getting ready for the summer exams? :s-smilie:

I know it sounds completely crazy, but I actually had a bit of a laugh with my interviewers which was so nice in comparison to my interview at Cardiff which was so much worse xD We did get some weird questions mind which was a little off putting...
I am literally so excited! I just can't wait to get out of sixth form. A-levels are going okay..although I'm kinda worried that we're not going to finish Biology on time considering we still have 3 chapters to go and only 5 weeks left :s-smilie: I'm hoping summer will be okay; I guess I'm quite lucky because I did well UMS wise back in January and in AS, so I think I only need Es in Bio and Maths and a D in Chemistry to get AAA overall :smile: That said, the exams could be absolutely horrific, so I'm still prepping hard xD
Reply 9
Original post by katie94.
I felt the same way leaving my interview, really wasn't expecting an offer! I'm doing maths, biology and chemistry and my maths and biology are going fine, chemistry on the other hand is a bit of a struggle because I've a rubbish teacher in school but I'll hopefully get it...fingers crossed! The exams are sooo close now, finding it hard to believe about 9 weeks time high schools all over for me!

Ooooo I'm doing the same as you! Yeah I agree.. biology and maths are my strongest too. Chemistry isn't so bad but it's harder to understand than the other too. Though I'm getting a little worried about this biology essay!! My teacher is making it out to be a huge deal so we're all panicking about it! :s I know! So strange to think we're going to university after 15 years of school! :O
Reply 10
Original post by KevinTheSpaceWhale
Hi! I'm a deffered offer holder from last year and I can't wait to hopefully see you all at HYMS in September! I'm hoping for Hull campus because I think it's a much nicer university that York, although York is a nicer city (to me).

Yaaaay another person! So now there are four of us :P haha yes I agree that hull seems like an amazing university..with great staff and teaching methods etc.. but I don't know if it'll be too small a campus for me :/ reckon we'll love it wherever we are!
Reply 11
Original post by Larry31
I know it sounds completely crazy, but I actually had a bit of a laugh with my interviewers which was so nice in comparison to my interview at Cardiff which was so much worse xD We did get some weird questions mind which was a little off putting...
I am literally so excited! I just can't wait to get out of sixth form. A-levels are going okay..although I'm kinda worried that we're not going to finish Biology on time considering we still have 3 chapters to go and only 5 weeks left :s-smilie: I'm hoping summer will be okay; I guess I'm quite lucky because I did well UMS wise back in January and in AS, so I think I only need Es in Bio and Maths and a D in Chemistry to get AAA overall :smile: That said, the exams could be absolutely horrific, so I'm still prepping hard xD

Yes haha so did I! But I felt like my interviewers were laugh AT me rather than with me.. because I spoke complete rubbish! Obviously not :L woaaaaa 3 whole chapters left?! Good luck getting them finished in time! We still have ages before the actual exam though. I know me too! I'm feeling too old for sixthform now I wanna get out and be independent! wooooooooo :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by Larry31

May I ask what you got in your AS modules to be in such a comfortable position?
Which brings me to my next topic, if anyone would mind, I'd be extremely appreciative if you could post/pm your stats, GCSE's, AS's, A2 Predictions, UKCAT, EC's etc. Just inquiring as a current Y12 student, hoping to apply to HYMS.
Reply 13
Yes haha so did I! But I felt like my interviewers were laugh AT me rather than with me.. because I spoke complete rubbish! Obviously not :L woaaaaa 3 whole chapters left?! Good luck getting them finished in time! We still have ages before the actual exam though. I know me too! I'm feeling too old for sixthform now I wanna get out and be independent! wooooooooo :biggrin:

Haha, well they definitely weren't laughing at you! :P I know what you mean though, I was going over some of the answers I gave and just cringed XD
Well, it's one and a half now xD Just got to get through plant responses and then we get to learn about muscle contraction! :biggrin:
I know! I really want to get to uni, I have had enough of being run into by Year 7s in the corridors -_-
Reply 14
Original post by Daniel__
May I ask what you got in your AS modules to be in such a comfortable position?
Which brings me to my next topic, if anyone would mind, I'd be extremely appreciative if you could post/pm your stats, GCSE's, AS's, A2 Predictions, UKCAT, EC's etc. Just inquiring as a current Y12 student, hoping to apply to HYMS.

No problem :smile: I got 281/300 in Maths, 269/300 in Chemistry and 264/300 in Biology. I think it's a combination of that and I managed to get 83/90 in both the Bio and Chem A2 January exams and have full marks in the PSAs :P All the UMS adds up quite nicely, so I only need around 70/150 in the last exam which is roughly a E/D grade :smile:
I don't mind giving you my stats if you want:

GCSEs: 8A*s and 2As
AS: AAAA+A* (Bio, Chem, Maths, Spanish and EPQ)
A2 predictions: A*A*A
UKCAT: 675 average (can't remember the specific breakdown XD)
EC's: Well my EC's were mainly work exp and volunteer work, so I worked for a mental health charity for a year, visited GP practices, spent a couple of days on an emergency assessment unit in a district hospital, spent time in radiology, physiotherapy and occupational therapy and I also have a part time job in a pub :P

I hope that helps a little :biggrin: Good luck with your application!
Reply 15
Ooooo I'm doing the same as you! Yeah I agree.. biology and maths are my strongest too. Chemistry isn't so bad but it's harder to understand than the other too. Though I'm getting a little worried about this biology essay!! My teacher is making it out to be a huge deal so we're all panicking about it! :s I know! So strange to think we're going to university after 15 years of school! :O

Chemistry last year was horrible...I got a D because my teacher is so bad, this year I've had to get a tutor and it seems much better but still my weakest subject, it's the one i'm most worried about. My biology should be fine I only need 80 marks in this module but yeah the essay is a bit of a worry! What exam board do you do? I'm from Northern Ireland so we do CCEA. Do you get study leave? Ours is starting on Fri after an 'intensive study day' with our teachers, just our year in, gonna be really sad...last day of school after having been at that one for 7 years! Quite scary too..everything changing!
Reply 16
Original post by Larry31
No problem :smile: I got 281/300 in Maths, 269/300 in Chemistry and 264/300 in Biology. I think it's a combination of that and I managed to get 83/90 in both the Bio and Chem A2 January exams and have full marks in the PSAs :P All the UMS adds up quite nicely, so I only need around 70/150 in the last exam which is roughly a E/D grade :smile:
I don't mind giving you my stats if you want:

GCSEs: 8A*s and 2As
AS: AAAA+A* (Bio, Chem, Maths, Spanish and EPQ)
A2 predictions: A*A*A
UKCAT: 675 average (can't remember the specific breakdown XD)
EC's: Well my EC's were mainly work exp and volunteer work, so I worked for a mental health charity for a year, visited GP practices, spent a couple of days on an emergency assessment unit in a district hospital, spent time in radiology, physiotherapy and occupational therapy and I also have a part time job in a pub :P

I hope that helps a little :biggrin: Good luck with your application!

Extremely appreciate thanks. Congratulations on earning your place, seems like you deserved it, god forbid you somehow don't meet your offer.
Reply 17
Original post by Larry31
Haha, well they definitely weren't laughing at you! :P I know what you mean though, I was going over some of the answers I gave and just cringed XD
Well, it's one and a half now xD Just got to get through plant responses and then we get to learn about muscle contraction! :biggrin:
I know! I really want to get to uni, I have had enough of being run into by Year 7s in the corridors -_-

Pahahahha being run into by year 7s :') Yeah it's going to be amazing! Really excited for this summer though! We're going to be free of exams and work and ahhhhh it's gonna be soo good!!! Do either of you know when exactly we find out whether we've been placed at hull or york? I know it's some time in may but I haven't anything from HYMS recently ... :/
Reply 18
Original post by katie94.
Chemistry last year was horrible...I got a D because my teacher is so bad, this year I've had to get a tutor and it seems much better but still my weakest subject, it's the one i'm most worried about. My biology should be fine I only need 80 marks in this module but yeah the essay is a bit of a worry! What exam board do you do? I'm from Northern Ireland so we do CCEA. Do you get study leave? Ours is starting on Fri after an 'intensive study day' with our teachers, just our year in, gonna be really sad...last day of school after having been at that one for 7 years! Quite scary too..everything changing!

Gosh! It's not fair when the teachers are horrendous and you don't know what you need to! I'm finding that with my maths at the minute... Now that I've started revising you realise just how poorly they've actually taught you the subject! Shouldn't be that way!!! We do AQA... Oooo whereabouts in Ireland? Yes! Except our study leave starts NEXT friday! So lucky you getting one more week than me off! :P Awww how did the day go? Yes it's so emotional! We've been having all our final assemblies of saying bye to leavers, and handing over the gowns for the new head girl team.. So upsetting! :'(
Reply 19
Pahahahha being run into by year 7s :') Yeah it's going to be amazing! Really excited for this summer though! We're going to be free of exams and work and ahhhhh it's gonna be soo good!!! Do either of you know when exactly we find out whether we've been placed at hull or york? I know it's some time in may but I haven't anything from HYMS recently ... :/

God they're so annoying! :P I actually nearly knocked one out the other day with a door (by mistake obviously, wouldn't make a very good doctor if I chased after Year 7's with doors xD)
I actually cannot wait for summer...the concept of just relaxing with no need to do any work whatsoever is just SO enticing :biggrin: It will be amazing! :biggrin:
I'm not sure, I haven't heard anything either :s-smilie: It's meant to be mid-May I think, but possibly towards the end of May :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending